Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.8 3 kinda big issues

10.4.8 3 kinda big issues
jniedt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 08:07 AM

15" mbp, 2.0 1GB

upgraded to 10.4.8 about a week ago, started to experience some issues...

1) experience a whine constantly and when I try and play shared itunes vids over the network it becomes louder and oscillates. Loud enough to hear over dialogue at a reasonable volume. Possibly the famous MBP whine, as dl'ing mirror eliminates it. Though this makes me suspect, as I did not have it before.

2) airport acting funky, dropping network completely in area where I previously had 4-5 bars. Does not automatically reconnect to network after reboot/awaken.

3) Most annoying one for me. Every time I try and use pathfinder in adobe illustrator (tool for merging or clipping shapes for the unillustrative) with anything more complex than 2 rectangles, it crashes. Previous to 10.4.8 it worked perfectly.

4) PMTool sucking up alot of memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2006, 10:04 AM

I think my airport has dropped a couple of times too (on a macbook, worked flawlessly before that). No idea how we can fix it though.

P
Oct 10, 2006, 11:54 AM

1) and 4) look like they're related. Have you run all the firmware updates?

2) Seem to remember seeing something about this, but I can't find it now. Have you tried deleting and readding the network?

3) No idea.

jniedt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 09:32 AM

I believe I have, but I'm new to mac. Are they obtained via update? b/c the only stuff I haven't updated is some of my video software.

No I havent, though I'm not to concerned about it, it might just be my router too, I think it might be going, as I had some issues w. my wired machines after I posted.

Yea I can only find a couple of people that have experienced this. Really niche problem, but people have reported it, with no solution though. It's only happening on Intel Macs running 10.4.8 and illustrator with one specific tool. The thing that gets me is more intensive processes are ok.

Originally Posted by P
1) and 4) look like they're related. Have you run all the firmware updates?

2) Seem to remember seeing something about this, but I can't find it now. Have you tried deleting and readding the network?

3) No idea.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2006, 09:38 AM

I was in the Apple Store in Columbus, OH on Sunday, and upon looking in the "About this Mac" window I saw they were all running 10.4.7. I thought that was kind of a silent admission that 10.4.8 blows, sincey they always run the most current software.

I'm not having many issues with 10.4.8 on my MacBook, but I do notice my Airport connection drops mysteriously. It has never done that before.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 05:08 PM

Should i update to 8 or stay at 7
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2006, 08:14 PM

3) is a known issue with running Illustrator CS2 under 10.4.8 and Rosetta (probably related to the Rosetta updates that "fixed" the math errors). Adobe's solution: Reinstall your OS and update to 10.4.7 only. Great.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jyunderwood
Oct 11, 2006, 08:50 PM

for the reconnect after shutdown/restart you have to go in to system pref > network > airport and tell it to join automatically again.

At least I did. I think it's because of that auto joining an insecure network thing that daringfireball had a field-day with.

jniedt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
3) is a known issue with running Illustrator CS2 under 10.4.8 and Rosetta (probably related to the Rosetta updates that "fixed" the math errors). Adobe's solution: Reinstall your OS and update to 10.4.7 only. Great.
Any resources you can point me to for reinstallation? Does mac osx reinstall wipe the hd or just reinstall osx system files like windows?

-Q-
Oct 12, 2006, 10:58 AM

I've seen some oddities since I installed 10.4.8 (Laptop consistently freezes when I plug in my USB headset) and Safari has picked up some odd crashes, but nothing I can regularly reproduce. I'm going to re-install the combo updater to see if that helps.

P
Oct 12, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by jniedt
Any resources you can point me to for reinstallation? Does mac osx reinstall wipe the hd or just reinstall osx system files like windows?
Depends on which option you select in the installer. Archive and Install will install a fresh copy of the OS but save all the old stuff in a seprate folder so you can drag back things from it manually. That's probably the best option.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2006, 04:10 PM

The only problem I have with 10.4.8 is that the volume keys on my keyboard no longer work to change the volume when I have my USB Headset (Logitech something-or-other) plugged in. That kind of sucks, but I suspect it may have something to do wtih the fact I'm using this little menu bar applet called SoundSource. Anyway, other than that, 10.4.8 is fabulous for me both on my Intel Mac Mini and my PowerBook G4 1.25 Ghz.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 11:01 PM

10.4.8 is great on my MacBook Pro. Sucks on my Mac Pro - since the update, at least once per day a program will crash when otherwise just sitting idle. Crash logs don't seem to help sort anything out. System Profiler shows no RAM ECC correction errors. 10.4.8 Combo update reapplied.

Forum Links
Forum Rules