Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The new iMac is GORGEOUS!

The new iMac is GORGEOUS! (Page 2)
AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by rnicoll View Post
Okay, but that's like saying "Anyone who wants more than reading e-mail and slowly surfing web pages should buy a Mac Pro". The iMac 24" will not play pretty much any game coming out this year, at native resolution, usefully. The gap between the an X2600 Pro and the sort of high-end gaming rigs you're talking about is like comparing a Mac Mini to a Mac Pro.
Not my point, and not an accurate analysis of my comments. I was responded to the recently banned DOGS' argument about professionals vs. hardcore gamers. I was and am saying that professionals can get a great deal of use out of the new iMacs, and of course, not all professionals in every profession, but a good number.

DOGS point was also that gamers usually go for consumer-level machines which i don't think is true at all. Gamers go for machines aimed at gamers, like Alienware rigs.

As for your points about the iMac, I wouldn't buy one for anything other than casual gaming. I would buy it for pretty much everything else I do--surfing, Web page design, some illustration--and in fact, as soon as a store in my area has the 24" model in stock, I will be buying one.

rnicoll
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt View Post
DOGS point was also that gamers usually go for consumer-level machines which i don't think is true at all. Gamers go for machines aimed at gamers, like Alienware rigs.

As for your points about the iMac, I wouldn't buy one for anything other than casual gaming. I would buy it for pretty much everything else I do--surfing, Web page design, some illustration--and in fact, as soon as a store in my area has the 24" model in stock, I will be buying one.
Awkwardly, I'm going to have to actually come back to this, and go "You're right, a Mac Pro is what gamers should be buying". The issue is actually that the lowest Mac Pro is still far too high, and I'm looking at iMacs because of that. With luck, Apple will release a sensible entry-level Mac Pro soon, and I'll be happy

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2007, 01:07 PM

Cool. And I agree with you that Apple needs a machine between the Pro and the iMac. Look at us getting along and all. The Internet is a lovely thing.

P
Aug 15, 2007, 02:18 PM

Have to say that the dropped price of the 24" iMac makes some sort of lower end Mac Pro likely. The gap between the iMac and the Mac Pro is getting too big. That Jobs comment about all-in-ones at the iMac launch makes me think that they have considered an xMac and rejected the idea, at least for now - otherwise that would have been an option.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2007, 02:45 PM

FFS SAKE!
if you like games there are 3 machines that do it better than any PC or Mac

PS3, Wii and yes even 360
All for the fraction of the price and with MUCH MUCH BETTER games

rnicoll
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt View Post
Cool. And I agree with you that Apple needs a machine between the Pro and the iMac. Look at us getting along and all. The Internet is a lovely thing.
And I want it based on:

Core 2 E6850: The Sweetest CPU of All

$300 3.0 GHz Core2Duo extreme chip rated at 65W...

rnicoll
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by sushiism View Post
FFS SAKE!
if you like games there are 3 machines that do it better than any PC or Mac

PS3, Wii and yes even 360
All for the fraction of the price and with MUCH MUCH BETTER games
I have a XBox 360 and a PS3, and I had a Wii (sold to friends a month back, it just bored me frankly). They're both great systems, and I love them, but using a control pad for FPSes is just too clunky IMHO, and all the MMOs I enjoy aren't available for any of these platforms.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2007, 06:51 PM

The hardware is like the game selection....
why have top notch gaming graphics when they are really no games on the mac.

If apple releases an imac with a nvidia gtx8800 1tb vdeo memory in sli setup
then people will complain about "we have this hardware but no games? where are the games? apple is stupid
for releasing a beefed up videomac card but no games etc. Apple is charging too much? drop the price o 600 bucks for the 24" and ill think about it. lol (THINK ABOUT IT)

complains will always exist. right now as we speak you can build a monster rig for games and guess what
people are complaining about the hardware being to expensive. gET OVER IT ALREADY complain here complain there
apple isgreat at pleasing its customers period. They know they will never satisfy everybody so they do the best they can.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
The hardware is like the game selection....
why have top notch gaming graphics when they are really no games on the mac.

If apple releases an imac with a nvidia gtx8800 1tb vdeo memory in sli setup
then people will complain about "we have this hardware but no games? where are the games? apple is stupid
for releasing a beefed up videomac card but no games etc. Apple is charging too much? drop the price o 600 bucks for the 24" and ill think about it. lol (THINK ABOUT IT)
complains will always exist. right now as we speak you can build a monster rig for games and guess what
people are complaining about the hardware being to expensive. gET OVER IT ALREADY complain here complain there
apple isgreat at pleasing its customers period. They know they will never satisfy everybody so they do the best they can.
Well said, I couldn't agree more. Although now that Macs can play Windows games through Crossover Mac or Bootcamp there is a need for a good gaming Mac but again you're right, if Apple beefed up the GPU on the new iMac and charged for it the non-gamers would complain that the price should be lowered just for them since they don't game.

I ordered the new 24" iMac yesterday with beefed up HD and I can hardly wait. I was in the Apple store today just to look at it again and the screen is incredibly clear and the glare is minimal at best.

Forum Links
Forum Rules