Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Civilization Revolution

Civilization Revolution
Rumor
Aug 10, 2009, 10:58 PM

No review yet, but until sometime tomorrow, the app will be $4.99 (instead of $9.99).
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

P
Aug 11, 2009, 03:54 AM

Note that Civ Rev is very different in the DS version and in the PS3/Xbox version. Possibly the DS version is what this will be based on, but it is very possible that it will be something else entirely. I have that one: fun, reminds me of the first Civ, and the games go fast enough that you can fit in two in an evening, but it has nowhere near the depth of the later installments.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2009, 11:20 PM

Awesome! I've been a big Civ fan since the original DOS version. Downloading now!

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2009, 12:41 AM

Well I played it for a half hour or so and am liking it so far. My only complaint is that the control scheme for moving units is a bit wonky if you want to move them more then two spaces at a time. I hope they fix that, because once you get to the point of controlling a large portion of the map it could get very tedious (granted, I'm not sure how big the maps are yet because I didn't play an entire game).

Rumor  (op)
Aug 12, 2009, 12:58 AM

I agree. Also, I can't seem to find a way to view the whole world map that I have explored. Have you or is it not possible?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I agree. Also, I can't seem to find a way to view the whole world map that I have explored. Have you or is it not possible?
the regular pinch/spread zooming scheme works fine if you want to adjust the viewing area. As soon as you select a unit it will automatically zoom back in to the regular view, though.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2009, 08:22 PM

This is just what I need. First they release NetHack for the iPhone, and now this. I will never get anything else done, ever.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2009, 01:43 AM

Civ Rev is great and I already have about four full games under my belt.

Tip: Don't even bother with Chieftain, way too easy! Have played two scenarios as King and it's still way too easy to dominate with either victory condition.

Moving units is still pretty annoying, but I found the best way of going about it is to pinch zoom out as far as you can see the units still then click and hold, then drag the path. If you click the unit first it will recenter, which is undesirable.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules