Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Don't bother with the iPod touch (aka the "who's getting the ipt5... crickets" thread)

Don't bother with the iPod touch (aka the "who's getting the ipt5... crickets" thread)
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 01:14 PM

A5
Cinematic screen
Less video-out accessories
Flash photography
32 GB
$300

A used iPhone 4S can be had for $5 more. Which would you choose?

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2012, 02:21 PM

Can a used iPhone 4S be used without a phone contract (e.g. use it like you'd use an iPod Touch?). The only thing I'd want over my 4th gen iPod Touch is GPS.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 06:23 PM

You may use it as an iPod Touch or as an iPad nano 100%.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2012, 11:48 AM

I'd choose the Touch.

First, what used 4S? Of what capacity? From who? Refurbished? Unlocked? Off-contract? With what warranty? Backed by who?

If I need a phone, why get a used iPhone 4S instead of a new iPhone 5? If I don't need a phone, why get a used iPhone 4S instead of a new iPod Touch that has a larger screen, is thinner and lighter, is new in the box with no wear and tear on it, and has an Apple-backed full warranty? Why am I paying $5 more to get a less-capable, used device with a cellular radio that I don't plan to use?

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2012, 05:13 PM

Off contract, unlocked if you look long enough, used from Craigslist, 16GB, one or several months left in the original apple warranty if purchased after September 2011.

The value of the 4G receiver depends on whether you will use it. I guess it depends on whether you want to carry a data-less ipt5 besides your data-receiving iPhone.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2012, 09:44 PM

Why would I buy an iPhone 4S without a data plan, and carry that next to an iPhone 5?

So... five bucks more to buy from a sketchy Craigslist seller, and get an item that may or may not be as described, may or may not actually be unlocked, may or may not be stolen property, may or may not have damage I can see, and may or may not have a valid warranty that may or may not last for some amount of time that the seller may or may not be telling me the truth about, all to get a 3G radio that I may or may not (probably not) ever use? And if there's a problem, I may or may not ever be able to find the seller again? And I get a smaller screen and 16GB less storage?

In that situation, I'll stick with the Touch.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2012, 08:00 PM

I'm buying the new iPod touch. I have a 3rd generation one and I use it regularly.. cant wait to be able to take photos, video and use occasionally the GPS. I think the new iPod touch is a darn bargain.. you have practically a souped up 4s less the phone -- a device invented like 100 years ago (I don't even like to talk on the phone) which I can still pretty happy without it. Mind you I own a 8 GB 3GS.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2012, 08:13 PM

and use occasionally the GPS
I don't think the new one has GPS.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2012, 05:04 AM

I stand corrected. Some how I read and understood incorrectly that it had the GPS radio.. but no.. maps uses wifi.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by polendo View Post
I stand corrected. Some how I read and understood incorrectly that it had the GPS radio.. but no.. maps uses wifi.
GPS was the firt thing I checked for in the spec sheet for the 5th gen Touch...no GPS means I'll stick to my 4th gen Touch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules