Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > less space than i actually have?

less space than i actually have?
Robbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2009, 05:14 PM

for some reason to matter what i do, my mac mini (running osx 10.4) never seems recover space after i delete files... i had noticed that i was runnin low on space so i decided to remove some not so important items and for the life of me i can't figure out why my space never comes back but this is a problem that is seriously worrying me...

as you can see by the image below my profile is taking up 22 of my 37GB hard drive... and yet... the total of all the ITEMS in my profile folder comes to only 1.4GB... can someone please explain this to me and maybe explain how i can fix this?

edit: I just emptied the trash can and regained a lot of space however the user folder now says 5.77GB and the individual sub folders within the user folder still total only 1.48GB so there is sill some un accounted for problems..
( Last edited by Robbi; Dec 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM. )

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 23, 2009, 03:42 AM

Somethings definitely not adding up. Give us a screen shot of the folders you are actually selecting. Maybe you are not selecting the folders you are talking about.

Also you can download OmniDisksweeper and it will tell you what's taking up so much of your hard drive and where they are located.

Robbi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2009, 11:37 AM

I have added some stuff to the folder since i took the last screen shot so the size has changed a little but there is still a clear difference in the sizes of the files...

for the record: i am going away for Christmas holidays as of today, so that its the last screen shot i will be able to provide for a while since I'm not taking the mac mini.
( Last edited by Robbi; Dec 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 11:50 AM

You either have severe directory damage, or there's a bunch of stuff hidden ini
invisible folders in your home folder - some file sharing apps in particular love to pull stunts like this, keeping all their incomplete/damaged downloads hidden fromview.

Robbi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2009, 12:53 PM

I figured it out with OmniDiskSweeper. It turns out that Dropbox has a feature where it will preserve deleted files for up to a month. It was the hidden backups that were taking up needless amounts of space.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Dec 23, 2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: No referral links)

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 23, 2009, 03:26 PM

It's good to hear that you have figured out your problem. I was going to agreed with Spheric about the hidden files but you both solved the problem before I came back to the forums.

Forum Links
Forum Rules