Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why does God hate the Chicago Cubs?

Why does God hate the Chicago Cubs?
gocubsgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2008, 01:20 AM

gocubsgo do not understand why God has not allowed the Cubs to win a World Series in 100 years, and not make it there since 1945.

gocubsgo wants to know what the Cubs have done to God. The Cubs have never thrown a World Series for cash or traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 01:38 AM

I'd trade 5 of the 6 Bulls championships for just one stinkin' Cubs World Series. The Marlins get 2 championships in a 7 year span right after being added to the league and they have to sell off their team every time they get good.

I guess the moral of the story is that getting to the World Series is tough. When you have had as few play off appearances as the Cubs, every year feels like it has to be the year. Just look at St Louis - they get to the playoffs every third year (if not more frequently) and so there chances of breaking through are so much greater. You either have to hope you're a one hit wonder (sort of like the White Sox in '05 - that team was special) or a perennial contender (like the Red Sox and Angels have become, and how the Braves used to be).

I knew the Mets making the playoffs instead of the Brewers would be better for the Cubs...

gocubsgo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2008, 02:27 AM

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2008, 03:24 AM

You know why. It's the queers. Too many queers in Wrigleyville. God hates queers.

Duh.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2008, 11:04 AM

It's all about having a sissy mascot.

Bears are frightening. Raiders are frightening. Even Cowboys, which are mostly just entertaining, can still be dangerous. Just ask Clint Eastwood. And Packers...well, I'm not sure.

Cubs are just squishy and huggable. Example:

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2008, 11:08 AM

Then there's that whole goat curse thing.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2008, 11:40 AM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
gocubsgo do not understand why God has not allowed the Cubs to win a World Series in 100 years, and not make it there since 1945.

gocubsgo wants to know what the Cubs have done to God. The Cubs have never thrown a World Series for cash or traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees.
It's because of the evil Bears who share a city with the Cubs. If the Cubs would destroy the evil Bears and kick their supporters out of Chicago, then God would smile on the Cubs again.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 12:41 PM

Because he only hands out one baseball miracle a decade. Go Red Sox!

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 12:51 PM

Not true - he did both the White Sox and Red Sox this decade.

gocubsgo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

Bears are frightening. Raiders are frightening. Even Cowboys, which are mostly just entertaining, can still be dangerous. Just ask Clint Eastwood. And Packers...well, I'm not sure.

Cubs are just squishy and huggable.
gocubs go wants to know who is afraid of ducks.

Winner of the 2007 Stanley Cup.

brassplayersrockĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2008, 01:23 PM

because she is fickle

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 01:41 PM

I grew up north of Chicago and don't follow sports any more, but I would have made an exception to watch the cubs win in 2008. They always know how to mess things up don't they.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
Not true - he did both the White Sox and Red Sox this decade.
Hmmm... good point. Well, how about God hates the National League?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 03:25 PM

Except for the Florida Marlins and St Louis Cardinals.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2008, 03:49 PM

Cubs are just squishy and huggable. Example:

haha that made my day

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
You know why. It's the queers. Too many queers in Wrigleyville. God hates queers.

Duh.
God doesn't exist tho

( I love the "queers" there, its the safest place to live... on the planet. a few hipsters is the scariest thing there. )

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 04:36 PM

Because god hates posers.
And 80% of the people who fill Wrigley's seats on an average summer day don't know **** about baseball and would be lucky to name more than 3 players on the Cubs roster.

If the Cubs ever won the WS they'd lose some of their appeal to the masses. Who would they be then? There'd be no gimmick to them that would distinguish the Cubs from anyone else in professional baseball. So "lovable losers" they remain.
If a real desire to win was there the Cubs could have purchased the key players they need to take a World Series long ago. The Yankees did it in the 90s. The Cubs have to be one of the two most profitable teams in the majors but usually have a pretty low payroll.

I attribute their two back to back appearances in the playoffs to some decree from the Tribune Co. that finally wants to put together a competitive team at the time they are looking to sell the franchise. What better way to maximize the selling price than finally having a team that can be featured on a national stage?

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 04:48 PM

Yeah, because when the Red Sox won a world series they lost their fan base.

They are definitely not the most profitable team in baseball. Here are the valuations by team for 2006: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Income_1.html

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2008, 08:24 PM

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2008, 10:19 PM

I think God hates the Lions more.
They are 0 and 4 so far.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
They are 0 and 4 so far.
An 0-4 start is comparable to 100 years without a championship?

gofridge
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2008, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
It's because of the evil Bears who share a city with the Cubs. If the Cubs would destroy the evil Bears and kick their supporters out of Chicago, then God would smile on the Cubs again.
gofridge thinks that voodo lives with MacosNerd in the parallel universe where everything is the same except that everyone is evil and Spock has a beard.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 06:54 AM

They are 0 and 4 so far.
An 0-4 start is comparable to 100 years without a championship?
You're right. I guess he doesn't hate them more.
They last won a championship in 1957. Although, they have been playing 28% ball since 2001. At least the Cubs have made the playoffs recently!

I rephrase my statement: God hates the Lions, too.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 07:56 AM

*checks*

nope, this is the real world, where the Bears are evil. Maybe you're from a parallel universe and need to go back to it.. I sure hope so!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 03:32 PM

You're right. I guess he doesn't hate them more.
They last won a championship in 1957. Although, they have been playing 28% ball since 2001. At least the Cubs have made the playoffs recently!

I rephrase my statement: God hates the Lions, too.
Truth.

At least the Detwoit Wed Wings still give their people something to be happy about.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 03:33 PM

What, the Pistons 2004 championship doesn't count?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
And 80% of the people who fill Wrigley's seats on an average summer day don't know **** about baseball and would be lucky to name more than 3 players on the Cubs roster.
TRUTH. And didnt the fans boo the team in Game 1? Very soft fans.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
TRUTH. And didnt the fans boo the team in Game 1? Very soft fans.
You clearly didn't see the steaming pile of poo that was game 1 and 2. If game 3 had occurred at Wrigley, no one would have booed.

gocubsgo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2008, 03:52 PM

gocubsgo remembers the White Sox having the worst attendance in Major League Baseball from after the strike through 2004.

gocubsgo wants to know where all those White Sox "fans" came from in 2005, and where they all disappeared to in 2007 when the White Sox had a losing season.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
The who?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 03:56 PM

You clearly didn't see the steaming pile of poo that was game 1 and 2. If game 3 had occurred at Wrigley, no one would have booed.
Nope, missed out on all the games this year, so far... As a SF Giant fan, I gotta admit the second softest fans are in SF. Alot of the die hard fans were replaced by the baseball tourists... Saw 8 guys get kicked out for heckling on opening day.. for HECKLING!! They werent using bad words, just non stop criticism of the PAdres... and they got tossed... unAmerican...anyways... maybe a Dodgers WS victory can motivate the SF front office to actually do something productive.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 08:20 PM

They are definitely not the most profitable team in baseball. Here are the valuations by team for 2006: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Income_1.html
Well, they are still top 5 for revenue and the only franchise in the top 5 who doesn't have millions in outstanding debt yet somehow the only one who hasn't been to the World Series in my lifetime. Also since 06 haven't they added a few thousand more seats, struck a new deal with the rooftop owners, and sold the naming rights to the bleachers accounting for a lot more revenue?
The Cubs could have done what the Yankees did and put the cash they make to work for them so they'd be a more competitive team more often than not. No one can claim they didn't have more resources than some other teams to make that happen.

Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
gocubsgo remembers the White Sox having the worst attendance in Major League Baseball from after the strike through 2004.

gocubsgo wants to know where all those White Sox "fans" came from in 2005, and where they all disappeared to in 2007 when the White Sox had a losing season.
Comiskey II sucks. Though not as much as soldier field now. It sucked even more before they changed the vertigo inducing top half of the stadium. I still don't like going there today. Plus I wasn't talking about attendance. I was talking about the difference between people who do show up being at the game because they want to watch baseball or because they use it as a warm up for going to the bars.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 08:43 PM

Well, they are still top 5 for revenue and the only franchise in the top 5 who doesn't have millions in outstanding debt yet somehow the only one who hasn't been to the World Series in my lifetime. Also since 06 haven't they added a few thousand more seats, struck a new deal with the rooftop owners, and sold the naming rights to the bleachers accounting for a lot more revenue?
No doubt. The commitment to winning mentality is a new idea for management. Hopefully they keep that after the sale is complete.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Meh! What have they done recently?

I wish the Cubs the best. Why not? They won't be playing Detroit!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2008, 11:14 AM

I wish the Cubs the best. Why not? They won't be playing Detroit!
Because neither team will ever make it to the World Series again? Good point.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2008, 12:02 PM

Because neither team will ever make it to the World Series again? Good point.
Nah. Perhaps unlike Cubs fans, I do believe the Tigers will make and win the WS again... someday. The Lions... probably not in my lifetime.

Update: The Lions lost their fifth in a row (now 0-5) in the last four seconds against the Vikings today (Oct 12).
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Oct 12, 2008 at 04:12 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2008, 09:19 PM

Update: The Lions are now 0-11. They are odds-on-favorites to go 0-16 this year!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2008, 10:05 PM

Update: The Lions are now 0-11. They are odds-on-favorites to go 0-16 this year!
The Chiefs are still worse.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2008, 10:17 PM

Ah Jon Kitna.. wonderful and entertaining QB. He's been sacked so many times he deserves a whole new status within the NFL.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2008, 04:04 AM

Do they play the Rams?

I think we're the worst team in football, 'cause we're the most injury-prone shallow team.

gocubsgo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2008, 11:17 PM

Nah. Perhaps unlike Cubs fans, I do believe the Tigers will make and win the WS again... someday. The Lions... probably not in my lifetime.
gocubsgo does not foresee the Detroit Lions ever winning the World Series.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2008, 11:44 AM

I knew the Mets making the playoffs instead of the Brewers would be better for the Cubs...
Well that's what I thought too at the time. But it didn't make any difference since they both bowed out in the first round.

I have a cousin who pitched for the Cubs in the early sixties; only a couple of games before they traded him to the Phillies. I've been a Cubs fan since the mid-sixties, and a Milwaukee resident since the late-eighties. I was bored by the American League Brewers, and ecstatic that they jumped to the National League. I was at one of the Cubs-Astros game in Milwaukee... you know, the Zambrano no-hitter. I thought better things were yet to come in the post-season. But, the Cubs are just too good at raising expectations and then dashing them in the end.

Glad they re-signed Dempster, but the talk of a left-handed bat for the outfield hasn't excited me so far. Nothing better has been floated than hoping Fukudome and/or Pie figure out how to hit consistently...

Who knows? As Ernie might say, "The Cubs will be sublime in 2009!" Go Cubs!!
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Do they play the Rams?

I think we're the worst team in football, 'cause we're the most injury-prone shallow team.
The currently 0-13 Lions will not be losing to the Rams this year. They will be losing to Indianapolis tomorrow, the Saints next week at home, and finally to Green Bay in Green Bay on Dec 28.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 05:09 PM

Of course it's the fans. Let's look at a prominent White Sox fan here in Chicago...

Now let's look at a prominent Cubs fan:

For you non-Chicagoans, the guy on the right is Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich. He's being charged with doing some naughty things. I don't know who the guy on the left is.

And there are other prominent Cubs fans who are just confused...

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way a political statement. Just having a little fun with politicians tied to Illinois and their baseball affiliations. Mods, please don't move to the PL...

gocubsgo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2008, 02:53 AM

gocubsgo hears that Al Capone was a White Sox fan.

And Hitler too.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2008, 05:57 PM

At least God let's the Cubs win a game.

Lions are 0-14. Two more to go. (Yes, I am actually cheering against them. I WANT them to go 0-16.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2008, 06:07 PM

I WANT them to go 0-16.
What are the odds of them going 0-16, and then winning the Superbowl ?

Kind of reverse Patriots

-t

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What are the odds of them going 0-16, and then winning the Superbowl ?

Kind of reverse Patriots

-t
Odds are 2-1, but I'd say it's probably closer to 1.5 to 1 or possibly even.

They could win the superbowl next year.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Dec 15, 2008 at 01:09 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2008, 08:39 PM

Hehe

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules