Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple reportedly dropping appointments for Apple Watch try-on sessions

Apple reportedly dropping appointments for Apple Watch try-on sessions
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 18, 2015, 08:48 AM

Apple will reportedly make changes to the way it allows potential buyers of the Apple Watch to try on the device, by removing previously-required appointments from the process. Said to be taking place sometime this week, Apple Stores will apparently start allowing anyone that enters the store the opportunity to try on an Apple Watch without booking in advance, reducing the time it takes for a customer to test out the device.

According to 9to5Mac, Apple Retail employees have been informed of the upcoming changes, which will no longer require customers to provide their details to the store before trying it on. Customers will still be able to provide their email address to store staff if they want to keep track of what kinds of Apple Watch they looked at, allowing them to order the specific model at a later time using the Apple Online Store wish list.

If true, this would be the latest move by Apple to make its Watch more easily available to customers. Earlier this month, Apple allowed Best Buy to offer a selection of Apple Watch models at its stores, including all Sport models and three stainless steel versions, and a selection of Apple and third-party accessories for the wearable device.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2015, 09:21 AM

I didn't need an appointment to try them on back in May.

lkrupp
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2015, 09:45 AM

I walked into my local Apple store last month. The sales person asked me how he could help. I told him I wanted to look at the watch. He took me over to the display case. I picked out the stainless steel with Milanese band. I tired it on. I said I would take it. I paid with Apple Pay. A Genius came over and took me to the counter in the back of the store and helped me configure and pair the watch to my iPhone 6. I thanked her and walked out. It took about thirty minutes.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Aug 18, 2015, 09:50 AM

Slow news day? ;-)

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2015, 12:35 PM

Well this is clearly a sign that the Apple Watch is a flop. :/

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2015, 12:42 PM

Grendelmon et al: yes, you've been able to do a "driveby" Apple Watch try-on at less-busy stores for a while now, but Apple wanted the public to know that appointments aren't necessary anymore (some people don't want to drive out to one to find out, I suppose). I spent part of yesterday afternoon trying on Apple Watches at the Southgate Centre store in Edmonton, in fact, with no appointment needed.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules