Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Magsafe replacement

Magsafe replacement
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2009, 08:02 AM

After two and a half years my MBP magsafe gave up the ghost. Cable looked flawless but obviously has failed inside.

Luckily some research unearthed the fact that Apple is replacing all magsafes with or without warranty. So one call later (and a little pushing) I've got myself a new free adapter.

Would be nice if Apple made them right in the first place but good to see they stand by their design errors.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Luckily some research unearthed the fact that Apple is replacing all magsafes with or without warranty.
Link?

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2009, 08:11 AM

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

the relevant part is at the very bottom:

Additional Information
Whether your product is in or out-of-warranty, you can take your adapter to an Apple-Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary. You may be eligible for a replacement adapter free of charge provided there are no signs of accidental damage.

Although you are not required to bring in the computer used with the adapter please be sure to bring the serial number from the computer; it is required to process potential replacements. To locate the serial number for your computer please follow the steps in the article appropriate for your computer: MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air.

If you plan to visit an Apple Retail store please make a reservation at the Genius Bar using Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2009, 08:50 AM

Cool. Thanks.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2009, 09:15 AM

Yep, I just got Apple to replace the adapter from my out-of-warranty MacBook this weekend. It was still working fine, but the wire was starting to kink at the point of connection with the laptop, right where they always seem to fray and start to burn. The Genius said that there was nothing obviously wrong with it. I said I'd rather replace it now *before* it becomes a fire hazard. He said "OK".

What I've never understood is what Apple has against putting grommets on their power wires. It seems as though that's the most common points of failure for Apple power adapters.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2009, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the info, nice to know!

I am on my fourth replacement Magsafe now across 3 machines, all within warranty luckily. It is good to know that I may not have to pay for replacements of these when they *will* fail out of warranty.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 24, 2009, 07:22 AM

Well they will all probably bite the dust in a way Apple didn't intend, but "fail out of warranty" is an ambiguous concept. My MBP's adapter, three years old now, is still doing fine. I do plan on taking advantage of the replacement policy, but only because the adapter's cable is now permanently twisted from being wrapped up around the brick.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules