Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > New Administrator posting garbage

New Administrator posting garbage (Page 2)
Suikolove
Jul 12, 2007, 07:32 AM

Excuse my ignorance here, but on most forums, double-posting is very bad, but... Kevin... that was five in a row. o_O Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something here. Is there a character limit on how much each post can hold or something?

Again, not making accusations or anything, just trying to understand how things work here so I don't mess up and have mods or admins riding my ass for it.

EDIT: Here's the link to the list of admins and mods you asked for... http://forums.macnn.com/showgroups.php This link contains all the mods and the forums they moderate, as well as the super mods and admins.
( Last edited by Suikolove; Jul 12, 2007 at 07:45 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2007, 07:52 AM

There is a listing at the bottom of each forum of the assigned mods (look in the "What's Going On" box). Some forums don't have dedicated mods, so go ahead and PM me, DH, or whoever mods your favorite forum and we'll figure out who to get the message to.

I think the BIGGEST thing about "whom to PM" is to notice who's actions you're commenting on. The new admin, thewebdrives, would have been the individual to PM in this case. ANY polite correspondence will almost certainly get a user a polite and well worded response. Of course if I get a flame in my PMs, that's not going to be something that predisposes me to be particularly sweet and cuddly in my response...

Further, as Lat has pointed out, there are a number of users who, for whatever reason, seem to use MacNN Forums as a place to vent, rant, cuss, and otherwise behave antisocially without contributing to the technical portions of the forums, and without paying attention to basic rules of civility. I tend to be a pretty easy going person, but when I get chewed out by someone who does nothing but crap on other people's threads or post gibberish or other useless stuff, I have a hard time being as professional as I'd like to be. THINK ABOUT THAT. How likely is it that you'd behave this way in person? If users would act like they at least acknowledge that we mods are actual human beings (who do not LIVE here on the forums) then I think there would be far fewer "issues" involving people thinking mods are acting unprofessionally. Why? Because there would be far fewer PMs, posts, and threads about how horrible this mod or that mod is.

I agree with Lateralus that this little bit of test posting was NOT a reason to provide such voluminous feedback. And instead of "what's the deal with these test posts," why didn't someone post a thread about "who's the new admin?" This give me the impression that there was an EXPECTATION of bad stuff. I just can't fathom why that would be.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Where's the list of admins? Demonhood is a good contact, but he may be on vacation or otherwise busy.
Where's the list of moderator jurisdictions?
http://forums.macnn.com/showgroups.php

I just posted about this in the fixations thread, because i'm not sure where the link has gone on the forums. The new admin fixed it a few days ago and put the link in a post and thats the only way i can find access to it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
http://forums.macnn.com/showgroups.php

I just posted about this in the fixations thread, because i'm not sure where the link has gone on the forums. The new admin fixed it a few days ago and put the link in a post and thats the only way i can find access to it.
That's a good list, but it's incomplete. And I always forget about that particular page anyway. (Maybe that's why I haven't asked someone to update it. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Suikolove
Jul 12, 2007, 08:01 AM

The question of the OP has already been answered. I think this thread needs to be locked or something... It's turned into something far different than was intended.

EDIT: If I remember my vBulletin physics correctly, admins do not make that page, it is automatically generated with the addition and removal of mods, super mods, and admins.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 08:14 AM

You guys tryin' to make me feel guilty for cracking a joke? Geez. And call me clueless, but I have no idea what the big conspiracy with Lateralus is.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 12, 2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
...Are you two bitter that you are both too big of an asshole...
Reported.

But I am sure nothing will come out of it. Although if I posted it I probably would have received an "infraction worth 10 points".

Suikolove
Jul 12, 2007, 10:07 AM

Well, the physics here are the same anywhere. You can't tell a person off who's defending you without looking like a total asshole, not even if you're a mod or an admin.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2007, 11:56 AM

I think it's about time you two (Kevin and RR) gave up...flaming one mod is one thing, but when another steps in to back him up...
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 12:02 PM

*shuffle shuffle, snap snap*

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 12, 2007, 12:26 PM

And this is why I DON'T love MacNN.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
And this is why I DON'T love MacNN.
That's a ban.

Rumor
Jul 12, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
snip
I know you love pulling out your psychology book and use those words, but really, just grow up. If you don't like the way the board is run, leave. You are not being forced to be here.

Oh, and your long winded tirades do not make you correct, it just makes people not want to read your crap.

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Reported.

But I am sure nothing will come out of it. Although if I posted it I probably would have received an "infraction worth 10 points".
I did. I knew I would as soon as I typed it. You know what? I don't care. It's true.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 12, 2007, 12:47 PM

what were we all talking about again?

the list of mods/supermods/admins is automagically generated. it's really only useful if you're curious about what forums each mod is in charge of. i'm the most active admin at the moment, so all problems should be escalated to me.

so let's end this thread peacefully. with....um.....ninja bill gates?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jul 12, 2007, 02:31 PM

What Demonhood said. If you have a problem with a moderator, you are welcome to try to sort it out with the person himself in PM, or you can escalate the issue to an admin. Demonhood is easily the most active admin, but if you feel like it, any of you are more than welcome to escalate issues to me as well, and I can look into them. When you do escalate an issue, it's best to include a thorough explanation of your problem as well as links to threads or posts supporting your claims.

Also, I actually would not recommend doing what ghporter said -- if you have issues with something thewebdrives is doing, please contact Demonhood or myself. He's (at the moment) a temporary hire who's helping out with some fixes we need done on the forums, and he's not a normal staffer who is supposed to respond to all kinds of user requests. It'll be better if it comes through one of us.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules