Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 3G SIM in Germany for a week?

3G SIM in Germany for a week?
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 09:34 AM

We're going to be spending a week in Berlin next month, and I'm hoping to be able to get a 3G data plan for my phone while I'm there (it's a Nexus One, so there's no problem with it being locked or anything). Are there any good pay-as-you-go data plans that I should look at? I don't really feel a need for a voice plan, so if it's possible/cheaper to go data-only I'd prefer that route (VoIP + Google Voice FTW!).

Anyone have an suggestions?

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 09:40 AM

This page seems to have a pretty decent list, though I don't have any idea what coverage in Berlin is like. The Flatrate-Paket from FYVE seems pretty good and uses the Vodaphone network, which at least I recognize...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
This page seems to have a pretty decent list, though I don't have any idea what coverage in Berlin is..
Which page?

I don't think there are any data only plans. You can get 300 MB flat per month prepaid for 10 € (1 GB for 15 €). But you would have to pay a 15 € activation fee.

o2online - o2 o Prepaid - Keine mtl. Grundgebühr, keine feste Vetragslaufzeit!

Cold Warrior
Dec 22, 2010, 10:37 AM

I usually look around telestial for international or more flexible GSM options. I don't see any PAYG 3G plans, but they do list prepaid 3G for one provider in Germany. Prepaid Data Service - Telestial

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Which page?
Oops, (obviously) forgot to paste in the link! Here it is: Germany - Pay as you go sim with data Wiki

I don't think there are any data only plans. You can get 300 MB flat per month prepaid for 10 € (1 GB for 15 €). But you would have to pay a 15 € activation fee.

o2online - o2 o Prepaid - Keine mtl. Grundgebühr, keine feste Vetragslaufzeit!
Yeah, it's looking like it'll probably come ith voice too, but voice is pretty cheap anyway. My German is not remotely sufficient for reading this pages, but it seems like it shouldn't cost too much for me to get a SIM with 3G data.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2010, 11:53 AM

My German is not remotely sufficient for reading this pages.
Most relevant words are English (anglicisms) anyway already (or pretend to be – "handy" meaning "cell phone"). Open the "Tariferweiterungen zum O2 o Prepaid" (plan extensions to O2 o Prepaid) area to see the data flatrates.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 11:56 AM

Ach, mein Adresse ist ungültig.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Most relevant words are English (anglicisms) anyway already (or pretend to be – "handy" meaning "cell phone"). Open the "Tariferweiterungen zum O2 o Prepaid" (plan extensions to O2 o Prepaid) area to see the data flatrates.
Yeah, I think I'm muddling through well enough now. Although it looks like my best bet might just be to stop in an Aldi and buy a SIM card w/ plan there since apparently I'm not allowed to sign up for one with a US address... Maybe I could use the hotel address...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2010, 12:47 PM

Most providers require a valid German address and a German bank account before *anything* happens.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Most providers require a valid German address and a German bank account before *anything* happens.
Even for pre-paid?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 01:57 PM

Yeah, it's looking like it'll probably come ith voice too, but voice is pretty cheap anyway. My German is not remotely sufficient for reading this pages, but it seems like it shouldn't cost too much for me to get a SIM with 3G data.
If you're flying into Berlin-Tegel, you should be able to pick up a data-only SIM with unlimited data for around 25 euros per month.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
If you're flying into Berlin-Tegel, you should be able to pick up a data-only SIM with unlimited data for around 25 euros per month.
Contract-free and without a German address and bank account?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 02:32 PM

Contract-free and without a German address and bank account?
Yes. I have no idea why Spheric says you need a German address and bank account. How else would anyone travel? Heck, I have a SIM card right now for TurkCell that I've never paid a cent for in service, just had someone in Turkey pick it up for me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2010, 02:33 PM

Tchibo day flats I've heard good things about, and they require just an address.

They're on the O2 network which is okay in urban areas (not so much outside).

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 02:56 PM

Tchibo day flats I've heard good things about, and they require just an address.

They're on the O2 network which is okay in urban areas (not so much outside).
Ah, nice. Tchibo looks pretty good! We'll be pretty much sticking to the city (Berlin), except for a possible day trip to Prague, so I'd imagine O2 should be fine.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 03:03 PM

Oh, if you will have more than one device you could also use a MiFi rental.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 03:14 PM

Oh, if you will have more than one device you could also use a MiFi rental.
Wow, that's pretty awesome. A little more than I'd want to spend for a 7-day trip, especially since my Nexus One can create a 802.11n WPA2 hotspot, but a pretty awesome idea.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 03:31 PM

Sure, I'm planning a trip to Europe with a few friends and we'll probably be using one of those. Somebody will just keep it in their messenger bag and we'll have WiFi everywhere we go.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2010, 03:47 PM

Ah, nice. Tchibo looks pretty good! We'll be pretty much sticking to the city (Berlin), except for a possible day trip to Prague, so I'd imagine O2 should be fine.
A "day trip" to Prague!?

Better just leave it for another time if you're just gonna have a couple hours there, methinks.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 05:27 PM

A "day trip" to Prague!?

Better just leave it for another time if you're just gonna have a couple hours there, methinks.
If you leave earlier and return late it should be just about doable... Although it would probably turn into an overnight trip if we did go. But you're probably right, only going to be in Europe for a week, shouldn't waste that much of the trip traveling.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 06:19 PM

No, Prague needs to be its own trip!

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 06:19 PM

No, Prague needs to be its own trip!
That's what I say, but my wife seems to think that we should go since we'll be 'so close'.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2010, 06:25 PM

I'll be in New York City next year. I should probably plan a day trip to Boston, seeing as it's so close, right?

Sometimes I seriously wonder what the hell you Expelled Ones think Yoorup is like.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 06:28 PM

I'll be in New York City next year. I should probably plan a day trip to Boston, seeing as it's so close, right?

Sometimes I seriously wonder what the hell you Expelled Ones think Yoorup is like.
I've done day trips from Boston to New York, and will probably do the same now that I'm in DC. They're all basically the same distance.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2010, 06:29 PM

I've done day trips from Boston to New York, and will probably do the same now that I'm in DC. They're all basically the same distance.
Business, or to actually see something of the city?

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 06:37 PM

Business, or to actually see something of the city?
To meet up with friends, or just to spend the day in NY. I've also gone for just a day for Thanksgiving dinner with my family, and probably a few other excuses.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 06:41 PM

That's what I say, but my wife seems to think that we should go since we'll be 'so close'.
Yeah, that's not going to work, unless you plan on just eating and leaving.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2010, 07:12 PM

I've gone from Berlin to Prague twice by car.

It doesn't make sense for a day trip. Stay at least one night, then you got a deal.

-t

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2011, 10:07 AM

So, I'm in Berlin! There's a Tchibo just a couple blocks from our hotel so I went over to try and get myself one of their SIM cards since they seemed to have the best deal (9.95 for 500 MB of data in a month plus another 9 for the card). Sadly they wouldn't accept my hotel address (it's a bit obvious to try and pass off as 'my' address to someone who works a few minutes walk down the street).

I don't suppose anyone wants to lend me their German address to use, or, if you're in Berlin, meet up so I can give you the cash to buy the card for me? I will, of course, be happy to throw a bier or two into the deal!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2011, 10:32 AM

So, I'm in Berlin! There's a Tchibo just a couple blocks from our hotel so I went over to try and get myself one of their SIM cards since they seemed to have the best deal (9.95 for 500 MB of data in a month plus another 9 for the card). Sadly they wouldn't accept my hotel address (it's a bit obvious to try and pass off as 'my' address to someone who works a few minutes walk down the street).

I don't suppose anyone wants to lend me their German address to use, or, if you're in Berlin, meet up so I can give you the cash to buy the card for me? I will, of course, be happy to throw a bier or two into the deal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules