Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: iBook 800/12"/Combo/Airport/640 and accessories

FS: iBook 800/12"/Combo/Airport/640 and accessories
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2003, 07:06 PM

I'm looking to sell my iBook or trade it for a faster desktop. I need something a bit more powerful than my iBook. That 800 MHz G3 may only be nine months old but it's somewhat sluggish. Here are the stats:

- 800 MHz G3
- 12" LCD, no dead or stuck pixels
- Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive
- 640 MB RAM (the max)
- 30 GB internal hard drive
- Airport card
- Spanning hack applied successfully, and when I sent it into Apple for a hard drive replacement a few months ago (after the spanning hack was done) they didn't say anything so I assume the warranty is still good until it runs out in mid-December
- VGA adapter for an external monitor
- AC power adapter
- Battery gets 2-2.5 hours of life without turning on any conservation modes. That's full processor speed, airport on, full screen brightness. I haven't tried using it with lots of conservation settings in a while.
- Original box and packaging
- All original CDs (OS X 10.2.1 installation 1 & 2, Software Restore 1, 2 & 3, World Book, Hardware Test)
- Various accessories include a RadTech microfiber sleeve, a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.0A, and a white Podium CoolPad.

This computer has been well taken care of. It's not in perfect condition but it is in good shape. It does have a bunch of tiny scratches on the outside of the case, but it was like that within a week of my getting it. There is a scratch on the right palm rest near the keyboard, and it's somewhat noticeable but it's far enough from where you put your hand that you won't feel it constantly. Also, because of heavy use of the keyboard, the palm rests are a bit shined up, as is the left Command key and the space bar. The hard drive was replaced a few months after purchase because I heard a clicking sound. It turned out to be a false alarm but I still got a new hard drive out of it. I can't tell the difference really, but I think the new one is by IBM/Hitachi rather than Toshiba (I believe the old hard drive was Toshiba). Finally, this is the latest and greatest iBook model to sport the more attractive (to some) "translucent" color scheme. The plastic shell around the LCD housing on this model is translucent, unlike the completely opaque look of the newer iBooks. It's really a minor thing but I thought I'd mention it.

So, I'm looking to replace the iBook with a desktop. I'm open to either selling it or trading it for a desktop. If you want to trade, let me know as much about your computer as possible; I'll consider any reasonable offer (though I'm generally looking most at PowerMac G4s, 17" iMacs, and 1 GHz eMacs). Local buyers/traders are really appreciated too. I live in Minneapolis, MN, on the University of Minnesota campus. If you want to buy it, I'll sell it for $1200 shipped and insured. Don't be afraid to offer your own price if you think I'm charging too much, I won't get mad, but I do believe $1200 is a reasonable price and I won't go very far under unless I get no other offers.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2003, 12:40 AM

I've got an 867 Quicksilver...and I'm in the area. Let me know if you are interested.

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2003, 09:54 PM

anti-sleep, please check your PMs and email.

x666
Sep 8, 2003, 10:02 PM

Is this still for sale? I'll give you $1100. if it is.

x666
Sep 8, 2003, 10:03 PM

Cancel that $1100.

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 04:51 PM

BUMP

Previous deals didn't go through, new price is $1125 including shipping. Still interested in a PowerMac G4 as a trade.

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2003, 02:42 PM

I've listed the iBook on eBay. Not really interested in trades any longer, I'm thinking of just getting a new G4/1.25 with my educational discount which ends up being just $1250 including tax. Here's the eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gory=4602&rd=1

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2003, 11:55 PM

Item has been sold.
( Last edited by Luca Rescigno; Sep 13, 2003 at 12:49 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules