Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Batman Begins

Batman Begins (Page 2)
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by TheMosco
Does anyone think its worth driving a little farther away (about 30 mins) to see it in IMAX? Or are the visuals not good enough to justify going to IMAX?
Do up the road trip. It'll be worth it as the film is quite good.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 04:03 PM

I'd do the Imax trip as well but get a good dinner and a drink after to make it an evening.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
I'd do the Imax trip as well but get a good dinner and a drink after to make it an evening.
And do someone's mom to make it a truly memorable experience.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 07:22 PM

Checking it out this weekend. All the reviews I've read have said it's an excellent movie, and many point out that Katie Holmes is one of the few "not so great" things about it.

SW 3 was worth the price of admission. A good popcorn movie. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), I'd give SW3 5, Mr & Mrs Smith a 5, Hitchhiker's Guide a 1 and Batman begins a 7.5
I'd give Mr. & Mrs. Smith a 7, so I reckon I should expect a 9 or so from Batman Begins. Goody, goody.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Troll
snip
I thought that in the other Batman's, they said that the Joker had killed his parents. Am I wrong?

Btw, Morgan Freeman and Michael Cain totally stole the evening. Such charisma in Freeman especially. Katie Holmes wore way too much makeup and the only comment Christopher Nolan could come up with was, "I think the movie speaks for itself."
Yeah, i was wondering about the joker thing too.

If Morgan Freeman is a supporting actor, the movie will probably be good, not counting Unleashed or that recent Tom Hanks movie.
BB is one of the few recent movies I would recommend to anyone. I'm still amazed at the quality of the story and acting they came up with from such an old franchise. This could be a standalone movie even without the Batman name on it. It was more real and believable than any of the other cartoonish CGI superheroes we usually get on the big screen.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 08:37 PM

The Joker didn't kill the Waynes. Batman made it that way to tie the origin to the movie's main villain. It was a good use of artistic license, I'd say.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 09:11 PM

I'm waiting for Harry Potter.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 11:23 PM

Just got back from it, and I enjoyed it. Definitely a very good movie based on a comic: because it didn't try to be anything other than its own movie and I liked that.

I could have lived without dawson's-creek-woman but other than that great casting.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

macbain80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 02:33 AM

Just got back from it. My take... ehhh... at best. They went the route of trying to make Batman really "grounded", so you don't see Batman for an hour and fifteen minutes, half of which is awkward flashbacks to him as a kid. Suffers from the same problem as "Unbreakable" in trying to make something inherently heightened seem "real".

Other notes...
- A lot of bad fake moustaches. But that's also a plus.
- A lot of "important" dialogue that's really shallow. See Star Wars, Episode 3.
- Amazing cast saying dialogue way beneath them. Christopher Nolan has serious juice with actors to get the level of people he did.
- A couple of fun action scenes, not enough.
- Batmobile looks crappy, but plays well because it's a real car, not CGI garbage.

And finally, and most damningly...
Christian Bale looks retarded in the Batman helmet.

macbain80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 02:36 AM

Oh, and I don't think Katie Holmes sucked at all. She did fine.

Man, when people turn on you, they turn on you.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 04:38 AM

Katie Holmes sucked
Hmmm, mental image of the day! Excuse me, I may be some time, hehe .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2005, 04:43 AM

I don't think her acting was very good and she was the weakest link. But to her credit, she does get the award for perkiest chest in a superhero movie dethroning Kirsten Dunst (not counting Pam Anderson in Barb Wire, naturally, which is about the only time Pam Anderson and natural can be used in one sentence).

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0372784/BD-S-3268.jpg

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 04:49 AM

I went to see the movie yesterday evening, and I liked it! Katie was ok, Christian & supporting actors were good I think. Good job, a from me!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2005, 12:57 PM

Sis-in-law's birthday was Friday so we took her out for dinner then saw BB. My second time and it was enjoyable as well. Katie didn't seem that bad and I liked some of the nuances. Cillian Murphy stood out more and I really dug Bale's scary Bat voice, especially the scene with the cop playing yo-yo.

pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2005, 04:07 PM

Just saw it and it was excellent.

Looking forward to the next one with the Joker.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 04:38 PM

It was good, very enjoyable overall but hardly anything earth shattering. The bats were great. The scary Batman- OMFG! The minor villain definitely upstaged Qui Go- I mean Liam Neeson.

The whole white rich kid travels the world as a hobo and in seven years become an elite killing machine? Fine... But the training in mountain took a little too long and was kinda cheesy- PLUS they just went and wasted Ken Watanabe!

Teh 'mobile was cool and made awesome growling sounds and could jump but had no style...

Dunno, I really enjoyed it, but I'd put in on the level of other comics to movies I enjoyed.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 05:16 PM

Saw it last night and it gets two thumbs up in my book. I'm looking forward to the sequel(s).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 05:37 PM

Just got back from it and I liked it. It'll be one I'll buy on DVD. KH's dialog was kind of stupid -- no one talks like that in real life, but it's a movie.

I really liked the way they did Scarecrow, too, and the way they brought-in the Joker and all the other nuts that got loose for future movies was pretty smooth.

It was also nice to see Lucius and Gordon as integral parts of the story, too.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 06:33 PM

Just saw it and loved it. Best movie of the summer and of the year so far. Great casting, good direction and super action. Lots of nods to the history (anyone catch the Batman homages such as the scene emulating one from The Dark Knight Returns?

Bale did a very good job as Batman and as Bruce Wayne. Michael Caine was excellent and I liked how Gordon actually played a role unlike the other movies where he just stands around. In fact, other than Katie Holmes, there wasn't a weak spot in any of the casting, imo.

Already looking forward to seeing it on Friday (we're taking the sis-in-law to dinner and to see it for her birthday).

Oh, and the end was a nice touch as well. I'm ready for the sequel.

Speaking of which, stories out on how the casting for the Joker may already be down to three actors: some Aussie who I'm not familiar with, Crispin Glover (who has the physical looks and wacky nature to do the Joker justice) and ... Mark Hamill.

I think that would be inspired casting. We know he has the voice and he'll be in makeup anyway.
Loved it!

Holmes is weak in her last scene imho.

Looking forward for the next episodes!

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 07:15 PM

I was impressed. I really didn't like the old batman movies, and didn't want to see this one but went anyway. It was worth my money.
Genius. You know who.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2005, 02:07 AM

I saw the movie last night with my brother. I loved it! However, my brother is the type of person that loves pick apart a movie and find any inconsistencies. As we were walking out of the theater he said to me, "I don't get it. That microwave device they used to release the toxins into the air could vaporize water inside thick metal pipes located underneath the street, but it couldn't vaporize the water inside a human being that was standing right next to it? How is that possible?"

I replied, "Because........ IT'S ONLY A MOVIE you moron!"

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2005, 02:40 AM

I was supose to see it on Monday with my Best friend, but he went today with out me so I doubt I'll see it for a while. Oh well.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
I was supose to see it on Monday with my Best friend, but he went today with out me so I doubt I'll see it for a while. Oh well.
Yep, no human being can see a movie alone.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by TheMosco
Does anyone think its worth driving a little farther away (about 30 mins) to see it in IMAX? Or are the visuals not good enough to justify going to IMAX?
I just saw it last night on the IMAX. Wow. That was my first IMAX experience. Just blown away by the incredible amount of detail. I'm spoiled now... I won't settle for anything less.

Great movie and story. Most of the actors fit their role well. Katie Holmes did alright, but there are probably a dozen other actresses would have been better.

What are the 3d IMAX movies like? Do you have to wear those cheesy 3d glasses?

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2005, 08:07 AM

Not much of a best friend, eh?

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 09:16 AM

OMG going to a film alone? The horror!!!

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2005, 01:24 PM

Having seen a few of the other batman movies my expectations for this one were pretty low, but I went to see it anyways because after all, it's Patrick Bateman as Batman!

I've got to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Excellent action flick, and easily blows the crap known as SW Episode 3 out of the water. Better than Spider-man 2 and maybe even better than Spider Man 1. The acting was superb on everyone's part except for the girl, and there were even a few times that Patrick Bateman could be heard through Bruce, "Guy who wears a bat costume... clearly has issues."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
"Guy who wears a bat costume... clearly has issues."
I've always wondered how we're supposed to take that line coming from Bruce. Is it supposed to be funny because it's true or sad because it's true and he doesn't really know it? Both?

I think I'm going to see it tonight. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I'm excited by all of the great reviews!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I've always wondered how we're supposed to take that line coming from Bruce. Is it supposed to be funny because it's true or sad because it's true and he doesn't really know it? Both?
The way Christian Bale plays Bruce, I definitely think he knows he's nuts. He just seems kind of alright with it because that's what allows him to be Batman.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2005, 12:45 AM

IMDb reporting that Katie Holmes will not be in the sequel. So far, Bale, Cane and Freeman are all signed for the next one. No word on Oldman.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2005, 12:59 AM

I'm sure they wouldn't bring Scarecrow back (been there, done that, you know), but I'm going to miss Cillian Muphy in the next one.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 01:04 AM

IMDb reporting that Katie Holmes will not be in the sequel.
Awesome!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 07:20 AM

IMDb reporting that Katie Holmes will not be in the sequel. So far, Bale, Cane and Freeman are all signed for the next one. No word on Oldman.
I can't find the info for the next movie. Can you post a link?

TIA,
Maury

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
I can't find the info for the next movie. Can you post a link?
http://imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-06-21/#2
Genius. You know who.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by nforcer
Thanks, man.

Maury

Cipher13
Jun 21, 2005, 07:30 AM

Meh, it wasn't that special. In my mind, it was another mindless action movie.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13
Meh, it wasn't that special. In my mind, it was another mindless action movie.

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 12:13 PM

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by yakkiebah

I have my own:

http://nascar.hoedeman.net/

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2005, 10:45 PM

I saw it. I dig it! I wish the fight scenes were more visible. I wish Batman growled a little less. I still dig it!

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 11:38 PM

I miss the tommy guns. Batman is supposed to be in a 20's-like era isn't he?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 12:35 AM

Begins was fine but not inspired. It was not better than Spider-Man, nor was it better than Episode III. And I wasn't impressed by the choice to make Bruce Wayne look stupid in contrast to the genius of Morgan Freeman's character. The Bruce Wayne of yore possessed superior intellect and was essentially self-sufficient.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 22, 2005 at 12:53 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 12:51 AM

edit: nm

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
BeginsThe Bruce Wayne of yore possessed superior intellect and was essentially self-sufficient.
Even when he was in his 20s? Remember, this is Batman Begins.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 03:35 PM

Saw it yesterday and thought it was great. Totally blown away. My one gripe (**and this may be considered a spoiler**):

When he was supposed to execute that guy, Bruce instead burned the place down with the man trapped in handcuffs. ??? How is that any better than cutting his head off?

But besides that, great film.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 11:30 PM

Good point.

Maybe he was a cat burglar and escaped.

Warung
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 01:27 AM

I saw it yesterday and liked it a LOT! Best Batman (feature length movie) yet. I think the costume was better than in the previous films, and the whole setting seemed more "realistic" and thought through than before. Changing his voice also was a smart move (this is how I always imagined Batman's voice to be when I was young reading the comic books - not the "stiff" and stuttering type portrayed by the ones in the other Batman adaptations)

I don't know about the "villain(s)". Why would somebody who faced and conquered his fears want to take "revenge"? (psychologically, that doesn't make sense)

The dialogue was exceptionally good for a hollywood type action flic (except for some really stupid parts ("...nice car (ride?).. ), and the fighting scenes (except for the gratuitous and extremely long car chase) were a lot of fun to watch. Katie Holmes was okay (though I could not get over her now being into Scientology (thanks Tom))...does anybody else think that Christian Bale looks a little bit like Tom Cruise?

The ending (with the reference to Batman (Part 1?)) was neat. Great movie, imho.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 01:31 AM

Best Batman ever. Finally erased the Val Kilmer George Clooney horror from my mind. Can't wait for the next one.

That guy from 28 days Later (Scarecrow) was also awesome.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 01:38 AM

I liked the quick homages. When Bats pulled Falcone out of the car, his first words (in the batsuit) were the same as Michael Keaton's in the first Burton movie: I'm Batman.

Also, the first shot of the slum, narrows?, we see Batman on the lamppost as it begins to rain. Notice his mask is different? It's an exact shot of one of Frank Miller's drawings in Dark Knight.

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2005, 01:49 AM

"I swear to God!"

"SWEAR TO ME!!!"

Awesome just thinking about it.
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules