Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Introducing the MacBook Quad *

Introducing the MacBook Quad *
mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2006, 05:39 PM

* In 2007 or 2008

From TG Daily:

Intel is running its development and manufacturing resources at full speed to roll out its "Core" architecture later its year. In-Stat analyst Jim McGregor believes that the company will not slow down and take any chances to fall behind again: Quad-core chips appear on the horizon and the company may be introducing a new microarchitecture in 2007 or 2008.
<snip>
Most interestingly, McGregor believes that Intel may be planning a "significantly different microarchitecture in the 2007-2008 timeframe that will quickly proliferate through the platforms." He did not provide any further details about such an architecture in his report, but mentioned that Intel may take this route in an effort "to avoid a repeat of the recent past and maintain a continuous flow of innovation."
<snip>
According to McGregor, Intel is also planning a quad-core mobile processor, "but [the company] is providing few details" at this time. He indicated that this processor may be introduced in the not too distant future and in fact may be a processor that is compatible with the "Santa Rosa" platform - which will be launched in Q2 of 2007 as a refresh for the Merom processor.

The forward looking statements in this article are from a third party analyst (Jim McGregor from In-Stat), not Intel.

Seems rather soon to be introducing a new microarchitecture; P8 (Core) will only be coming out in 2006-2007.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2006, 05:46 PM

Seems like heat would be a huge issue, but that's still an interesting thought.

joeyinflames
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2006, 07:42 PM

I can almost burn myself on my Macbook, so I would imagine a Quad would spontaneously combust.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by wtmcgee
Seems like heat would be a huge issue, but that's still an interesting thought.
It already is a huge issue

Forum Links
Forum Rules