Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 8600M GT issues: Apple launches free repair program

8600M GT issues: Apple launches free repair program (Page 2)
ChrisF
Senior User
Jul 8, 2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
If it does it again I will definitely take it in along w. the print out about the service program.
I've had 2 failures on my 2.4GHz model, and haven't bothered with the Apple Store but rather had a box shipped to me for a depot repair. I've found that the phone support people are quite aware of the issue. My last failure was a weird one- if a window opened on the internal display, the display would black out. That issue was described by Apple's phone support as "Nvidia issues" on the repair documentation.
At this point, I'm hoping for a 3rd failure as I have no confidence that there are any good 8600M chips out there.

indigoimac
Senior User
Jul 8, 2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
I've had 2 failures on my 2.4GHz model, and haven't bothered with the Apple Store but rather had a box shipped to me for a depot repair. I've found that the phone support people are quite aware of the issue. My last failure was a weird one- if a window opened on the internal display, the display would black out. That issue was described by Apple's phone support as "Nvidia issues" on the repair documentation.
At this point, I'm hoping for a 3rd failure as I have no confidence that there are any good 8600M chips out there.
Do you have AppleCare? Every time I have debated trying phone support it's a fee just to talk to you about anything specific.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

ChrisF
Senior User
Jul 9, 2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
Do you have AppleCare? Every time I have debated trying phone support it's a fee just to talk to you about anything specific.
I do have Applecare but in this instance since it's an official repair extension, you won't be charged.

misterdna
Jul 9, 2009, 06:27 PM

I brought my MacBook pro in to a Genius a month ago, sure it was the 8600 issue. His testing at the Apple Store showed no issues, but due to my description, he agreed it was the 8600 problem, and my laptop got sent in (I was told it would have the motherboard/video card replaced). Unfortunately, my computer came back to me with new RAM, same board! So I guess that would mean my RAM slowly went bad after being in the computer for 2 years?

Now, a month later, the problem has reappeared, and now I'm heading back to turn in my Mac for a second time (what a waste of my time and their money). I hate that Apple relies on some testing method that clearly isn't accurate when the video problem is intermittent. They better replace the board this time... My appointment at the Apple Store is tomorrow.

indigoimac
Senior User
Jul 9, 2009, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
I do have Applecare but in this instance since it's an official repair extension, you won't be charged.
Eh, maybe I'll give them a call then... though the problem has not reappeared since.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules