Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > HDMI input (game console, any computer with DVI) is coming for the late 2009 iMacs

HDMI input (game console, any computer with DVI) is coming for the late 2009 iMacs
mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2009, 07:23 PM

Apogee has announced the development of an HDMI input adapter for the late 2009 iMacs. Will allow input from any HDMI device (Xbox 360, PS3, etc) or any computer with DVI (via cheap/easy HDMI/DVI adapter). They've posted a video demo on YouTube.

I suspect it's an active converter that's also scaling the resolution.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 12:54 AM

My guess is they'll charge $199.99 for it... and at that price you might be better off just buying another monitor.

P
Dec 16, 2009, 08:24 AM

Call Apogee and say "Aardwolf"? Looks to be a different Apogee, though, that one was only founded in 2006.

Active converters already exist. Also note that the iMac 27" supports both 1280*720 and 1920*1080 natively, so a scaler is not strictly required if you're only targeting the 27" iMac.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 09:32 AM

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they upscaled it. Most likely it will just keep the same rez.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 10:08 AM

The atlona Adapter is already available $150.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The atlona Adapter is already available $150.
That's not quite as bad a price as I had thought. I had thought the adapters were $200-250. That one is only DVI, but DVI - HDMI adapters are only $10 anyway. It is limited to 1080p though, as expected.

Now if Apogee is able to create something similar (preferably with HDMI instead of DVI) and only charges $99.99 for it, then I think they really might have something interesting. Even $150 is still high.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Hmm, for that kind of money you can buy a 1080p LCD display with HDMI input.
Not a very good one, though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2009, 04:48 PM

Absolutely. And no doubt the 27" iMac's screen is a lot nicer anyway. I was merely trying to point out that those converters seem pretty expensive considering an entire monitor (which has its own PS and circuitry for HMDI->LVDS) costs about the same.

Forum Links
Forum Rules