Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Moving Mail.app rules to a different (email) account?

Moving Mail.app rules to a different (email) account?
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2012, 07:03 PM

So I'm in the process of helping my dad migrate his small business' email from a hosted Exchange solution to Google Apps. The migration of the mail and all that is pretty straightforward, but my dad uses a (somewhat ridiculous) array of rules to automatically sort and categorize his email, and making sure that those rules continue to simply work is an absolute must. So, I need a way to take the rules for his Exchange account, and make them instead apply to his Gmail account.

On the face of it, it seems like this should be pretty easily accomplished. The rules are all stored in a .plist in ~/Library, so all that should need to be done is to figure out how the two accounts are referred to in the file, and determine how to map the old directory paths onto the new ones. Once I figure that out, it will be simple to just write a script to automate making those changes to each rule in the file.

But, before I dive into doing this, I was hoping to see if anyone knows of an easier/better way, or just has some experience with doing this. Anyone?

ibook_steve
Feb 12, 2012, 03:55 AM

How many rules are we talking about here? Can't you just edit them in the GUI?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
How many rules are we talking about here? Can't you just edit them in the GUI?

Steve
It's a large enough number that it would be prohibitive to do so.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2012, 12:26 PM

In case anyone's interesting, my approach worked just fine. It was a simple matter of doing a search and replace on two different strings to change the paths of the folders the rules were targeting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules