Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Probably easy: Ethernet printer on an Airport network

Probably easy: Ethernet printer on an Airport network
MDiddy
Dec 7, 2005, 10:38 PM

OK here's the rundown:

Cable Internet goes into my VoIP (SunRocket) phone adapter (I think it has a router in it)

VoIP Adapter plugs into AirPort Express (DHCP & NAT On)

Mac Mini with AirPort Extreme is connected to an HP all-in-one via Ethernet (I turned Internet Sharing on to the Ethernet port).

I want to share that HP with my PowerBook, but I can't see it when I scan the network on my PowerBook.

What do I need to do? Turn off DHCP on the AirPort Express? Turn off the sharing?

Lil help hereā€¦
"Litter is my most treacherous foe. I would like to eat its children."
-Drederick Tatum

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 12:04 AM

I'm not entirely sure on this one but I think that when you have the HP printer go through your Mac Mini it ends up on a seperate subnet which makes it difficult (if possible) for your PowerBook to connect to. I think that it's better if you can get a switch to connect to your AirPort Express and then your VOIP adaptor and printer in to the switcch.

Another alternative would be to connect your printer to a USB port on your Mac Mini and then turn on Printer Sharing. However, this would prevent your PowerBook from scanning and faxing.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 12:20 AM

I think you need a wireless bridge for the pinter, to put it onto your airport network. That's how I do it.

Another possible option is if your VOIP adapter has multiple ports. Let the VOIP adapter assign the IP addresses to your network. Plug the printer into the VOIP adapter and set the Airport Express NOT to assign IP addresses (DHCP and NAT both off).

Chris

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 10:24 AM

Yes, agreed. Connecting a wireless bridge to the printer would also work.

MDiddy  (op)
Dec 8, 2005, 10:40 AM

Yeah I'm trying to do this w/o spending cash But I do need to have all the devices access the scanning & faxing capabilities of the device. I guess I'll get a cheap wired router and connect everything to it. That would keep everything on the same subnet. I could have sworn that OS X would bridge the two connections in some way so that the HP is visible to the PowerBook
-Drederick Tatum

MDiddy  (op)
Dec 8, 2005, 10:40 AM

dup
-Drederick Tatum

Forum Links
Forum Rules