Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb 4.5 sneakypeek 1 available - uses Webcore (Safari)

OmniWeb 4.5 sneakypeek 1 available - uses Webcore (Safari) (Page 6)
ambush
Banned
Apr 17, 2003, 03:39 PM

Some forms submittting does not work correctly.

E.g. I was in my paypal account, which I wanted to activate, and pressing the submit button didn't do anything.. I had to start safari up

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2003, 05:14 PM

For what it's worth, sp7 seems much more stable. I've been browsing in it all day without a crash.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by nickm:
For what it's worth, sp7 seems much more stable. I've been browsing in it all day without a crash.
Mine made a boom boom on these forums, but no crashes other than that.

-matt

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2003, 11:08 PM

I'm getting situations where for one reason or another everything just slows to a crawl in one window, although other windows remain responsive...

A quit and re-launch fixes things, but it has sometimes caused form elements to become unresponsive - might be the same thing causing the problems mentioned above.
cpac

ambush
Banned
Apr 17, 2003, 11:35 PM

Spymac.com is buggy under OW 4.5 sp7

edit: C bug fixed
( Last edited by ambush; Apr 18, 2003 at 08:10 AM. )

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2003, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
Spyma.com is buggy under OW 4.5 sp7
Ah, the disappearing c bug. I think that's a known issue, it should be corrected with sp8.

~BS

pliny
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 10:18 AM

sp8 is out.

Here's what Ken said,

"We'll post release notes sometime tomorrow, but the quick (and, by "quick", I mean "long run-on sentence") summary is that this release has lots of history fixes (it remembers the scrolling position--both vertical and horizontal, unlike 4.2; it correctly records links followed within a document; unfortunately, history in frames is still not fixed, though we're close), fixes some forms bugs (forms values were getting mixed up between some pages), improves Find (you can now search backwards, find by regular expression, and it always wraps right away rather than stopping at the end or beginning), adds support for the Services menu (supporting services which operate on either the text selection or the selected link), and fixes some crashes (though it may introduce some new ones, please keep those crash reports coming!).

Enjoy!

Ken"

Like cpac said sp7 seemed to be slower than earlier sneakypeeks, maybe sp8 has repaired that.

The scrolling position is now remembered�cool. OW's scrolling is much better than Safari's.
i look in your general direction

pliny
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 11:50 AM

This sp seems much more responsive than the last--scrolling, rendering, menuing, everything.

I think the printing and save functions might be disabled in this sneakypeek, can someone try these out when you get a chance?

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
This sp seems much more responsive than the last--scrolling, rendering, menuing, everything.

I think the printing and save functions might be disabled in this sneakypeek, can someone try these out when you get a chance?
I'm pretty sure the release notes say that printing and save as pdf are disabled. I'm really glad the back button remember window position now, that will make browsing much more pleasant. I think these SPs are starting to feel pretty mature. They are crashing much less and performing extremely well on my machines.

-matt

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2003, 12:06 PM

This one does feel a little more responsive than the last - but that might just be the fact that I just launched it - have to see what it's like in a few hours.

Good to hear about those history improvements, and especially that they're close with the history in frames business - that'd be my personal #1 priority of the outstanding issues.

Oh well, I just love the whole sp process - it's great!
cpac

pliny
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
I'm pretty sure the release notes say that printing and save as pdf are disabled.
I forgot!

I'm really glad the back button remember window position now, that will make browsing much more pleasant. I think these SPs are starting to feel pretty mature. They are crashing much less and performing extremely well on my machines.

-matt
Same here.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2003, 03:47 PM

Holy crab juice batman! The webdav bookmark synching simply rocks. I know there was another thread on this, but I'll just keep all the OmniWeb talk in here. I threw the file up on my iDisk and changed the prefs on my desktop and laptop version. Wow is all I can say, it's very fast and a huge time saver having a unified bookmark file. It also makes bookmark updates much more valuable to me because I don't have 2 machines finding the same changes. I haven't tried to use OmniWeb on both machines at the same time yet, but I haven't had a problem yet. I can't wait for this feature to get refined for OW5.

-matt

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2003, 10:51 PM

Sneaky Peek 9 is out. Release notes haven't been updated though.

ambush
Banned
Apr 18, 2003, 11:34 PM

Do you guys get slow scrolling (talking about mouse wheel rapid scrolling here) with sp8/9 ? it's horribly slow on my ibook 600/384/radeon

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Do you guys get slow scrolling (talking about mouse wheel rapid scrolling here) with sp8/9 ? it's horribly slow on my ibook 600/384/radeon
I don't use a mouse with my iBook, but with the scroll wheel on my desktop I haven't noticed any problems with SP8 or 9. They are both smooth as silk.

-matt

ambush
Banned
Apr 18, 2003, 11:53 PM

It's definitely a scroll wheel problem, because when I use the scrollbar, it's smooth.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2003, 01:37 AM

Ok, that does it. 9 sneakypeeks in 11 days! Not only that, there are new features not in Safari or Omniweb 4.2. There is no way that they could possibly be making progress at this rate. Something has to be amiss. My current working theories are:
  • Omni discovered time travel in the future; sent back copy of Omniweb 10
  • Freak accident turned Ken Case into mutant with super coding powers
  • Omni has licensed soulless code-bots from Microsoft

Right now, I'm going for the time travel theory, because if you look closely at the release notes you'll notice that both thursday and wednesday were April 16th for them, indicating that all the time traveling has taken its toll. Sure, they'll try to change it and pretend it never happened, but I'm on to them.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2003, 02:04 AM

couple thoughts:

(1) great to have printing/saving back. Is there already a place where I can set the header/footer for pages, or is this a yet-to-be-implemented thing (some ability to control whether you have those bright red and green headers would be very nice...

(2) the favorites bar looks great - it's the only bar I usually browse with and so I do notice little changes like that...

(3) one printing bug: buttons/form controls do not print properly - they don't appear to scale yet (just preview one of these reply pages to see what I mean).

Outstanding job, really! If you Omni-guys ever need any more specific testing done, just name it...
cpac

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2003, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
(some ability to control whether you have those bright red and green headers would be very nice...
That was some debug code that got left in sp9. It's gone in sp10 (which contains lots of neat little fixes and should be out by Monday night).
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
That was some debug code that got left in sp9. It's gone in sp10 (which contains lots of neat little fixes and should be out by Monday night).
is that the same debug code that is still in Jagu...

oh screw it.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Calli46
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2003, 01:54 PM

As a Canadian, futureshop.ca is very useful to lookup computer related products prices. Lo! and behold, after the main page has loaded, there's no way to go further...

The site works well in Camino and IE, but not in Safari and OW 4.5. At least, not on my machine .

If some of you dare try it : go to <www.futureshop.ca>, then select English (or French). Now, select the Computers dept. Should be fine this far. But now, clicking any computer category (left frame) doesn't do anything!!!

Looks like a Javascript problem in the Safari rendering engine, since the same bug shows in OW and Safari...
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
is that the same debug code that is still in Jagu...

oh screw it.
Yeah, it's also snappier! (Sorry, I couldn't resist. Also, it's probably not any snappier).

In other news, sp9's release notes have been posted.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Calli46:
As a Canadian, futureshop.ca is very useful to lookup computer related products prices. Lo! and behold, after the main page has loaded, there's no way to go further...

The site works well in Camino and IE, but not in Safari and OW 4.5. At least, not on my machine .

If some of you dare try it : go to <www.futureshop.ca>, then select English (or French). Now, select the Computers dept. Should be fine this far. But now, clicking any computer category (left frame) doesn't do anything!!!

Looks like a Javascript problem in the Safari rendering engine, since the same bug shows in OW and Safari...
i noticed that a while back as well....it *does* work if you right-click (or control-click) and open the page in a new window....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2003, 03:03 PM

Anybody else noticing an inordinate number of crashes in these forums with sp9?

I've sent in about 6 reports since starting with sp 9 last night - all crashes are usually on this forum (when navigating with the pop-up menus at the bottom of the screen, etc.)
cpac

pliny
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 03:06 PM

I'm gonna stick to sp8, I can't open bookmark folders with sp9.

Anybody know what's up with the javascript error in Netscape mail? You can't send. btw, do you notice how many cookies they send you when you login to that system, upwards of 12!

Thank goodness for the discard when quitting feature.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 04:13 PM

great to have printing/saving back. Is there already a place where I can set the header/footer for pages
Yup... check the "OmniWeb" pane in the Print panel.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2003, 05:13 PM

I sent in a comment about this, but I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing it: When I select text, the selection starts one character over from where it does in other programs. It's been doing this since sp1, I haven't checked 4.2

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2003, 05:25 PM

Concerning printing options in OS X, I've found that most miss the significant number of options that are found in the printing menu. Most overlook that there are many more options that simply Copies and Pages, and I know this because even I didn't think to look until I needed a specific option. The simplicity of the print dialog is great because one doesn't often need to look at the other options, but it would be good if Apple changed it so that more attention would be drawn to the print menu.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
I sent in a comment about this, but I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing it: When I select text, the selection starts one character over from where it does in other programs. It's been doing this since sp1, I haven't checked 4.2
Yep, a number of other people have noted this on the OmniWeb mailing list. It's a strange bug, I'm not sure what's up.

-matt

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
Yup... check the "OmniWeb" pane in the Print panel.
excellent - never noticed that. I was more concerned about the colors than what information was present, but Tim noted that would be gone soon...
cpac

sunriser
Apr 20, 2003, 07:26 PM

i was a huge fan of omniweb in it's past (up to 4.1) especially because of its relative good support of hebrew sites... now that Sarafi handles them almost better than IE on wintel, i wanted to check if OW 4.5 can do better and guest what? all the usual hebrew site i use are unreadable...

i'm back to safari until a new sp will fix this

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by sunriser:
i was a huge fan of omniweb in it's past (up to 4.1) especially because of its relative good support of hebrew sites... now that Sarafi handles them almost better than IE on wintel, i wanted to check if OW 4.5 can do better and guest what? all the usual hebrew site i use are unreadable...

Change your text encoding in the Display pref panel. I think changing it to Unicode will solve the problem.

-matt

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by sunriser:

and if switching to unicode doesn't work, there's a known issue "Arabic text is not yet displayed properly on many pages." - presumably this means any right-to-left text, hebrew included (I thought it used to explicitly mention hebrew though...???)

Rest assured they'll get it right.
cpac

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2003, 08:39 PM

Our WebCore-hosted text renderer has gone through several iterations since work began on it... for awhile it did several Hebrew and Arabic sites better than Safari does. But we broke right-to-left text and combined-character glyphs completely in the process of some other changes -- don't worry, it'll come back before 4.5 final.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

BKMaggert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 10:59 PM

The files link on the sneakypeek page has been dead for days. I haven't gotten anything after sp7. What's up?
Barry
www.LP.org

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by BKMaggert:
The files link on the sneakypeek page has been dead for days. I haven't gotten anything after sp7. What's up?
This will get you SP9

-matt

sunriser
Apr 21, 2003, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by Rickster:
Our WebCore-hosted text renderer has gone through several iterations since work began on it... for awhile it did several Hebrew and Arabic sites better than Safari does. But we broke right-to-left text and combined-character glyphs completely in the process of some other changes -- don't worry, it'll come back before 4.5 final.
good to know

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2003, 08:24 AM

Anyone else having a strange problem in SP9 where the bookmarks window (free floating) will not let you expand any of the bookmarks?

I restarted OW a few times and could not get it to work. I will try on another machine.

Oh... that brings up a good question.

It would be great if OmniGroup could do family pricing for its apps.

BZ

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by BZ:
Anyone else having a strange problem in SP9 where the bookmarks window (free floating) will not let you expand any of the bookmarks?

I restarted OW a few times and could not get it to work. I will try on another machine.
People have been mentioning this on the OW discussion list, some seem to have it, others don't. I'd just sit tight and wait for another update to see if things are fixed...
cpac

gregomni
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2003, 07:58 PM

I'd just sit tight and wait for another update to see if things are fixed...
I just saw Michael's cvs commit message saying he fixed it, so I'll steal his thunder and say so before he can. Should be in the next sneakypeek.

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by gregomni:
I just saw Michael's cvs commit message saying he fixed it, so I'll steal his thunder and say so before he can. Should be in the next sneakypeek.
Actually, Greg, I fixed it.

...I think. I couldn't actually reproduce the problem on my machine, but there was a very obvious problem with the bookmark window that I took care of. Anyway, if anyone still sees this problem, let us know!
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

bpsmith
Apr 22, 2003, 12:38 AM

sp10 is out, as well as the release notes. so far so good!
Brad Smith
[email protected]

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 12:41 AM

yep:

OmniWeb 4.5sp10 contains the following changes since 4.5sp9:

�Fixed several problems related to bookmarks that caused crashes and/or the inability to expand folders of bookmarks in the bookmarks drawer, as well as a crash that occurred when trying to import bookmarks.
�We have almost fully restored AutoFill, but some issues remain, such as the checking of checkboxes and multiple selections in multi-select elements and more intelligent behavior for 'Save Form for AutoFill".
�If the option key is held when clicking the AutoFill toolbar button we instead save the form values instead of AutoFilling the form.
�Alleviated flicker when restoring scroll positions from cached pages. (We no longer display the page at the top and then scroll to where you had scrolled when you left the page.)
�Implemented "Save Linked Documents/Images". Also, we now exclude mailto: and javascript: URLs from the linked documents.
�Fixed some problems with contextual menu items related to images (Save to, etc.)
�The click address is no longer set when the cursor is under links which are obscured by the toolbar.
�Form elements should no longer draw out of place when resizing a window.
�We now select links when they're clicked. This gives additional feedback as to whether the link was actually clicked.
�Removed some debug code which was drawing red and green rects under the header and footer when printing.
�Filtered iframes will no longer display "Could not load address -- This address has been filtered by your privacy settings".
�Manually loading an image which has been filtered by the privacy settings works again.
�Load All Images now works in framesets.
�The suggested filename for a URL ending in a slash is now "index.html" (or whatever your setting for OWDirectoryIndexFilename is).
�An inaccuracy with text selection has been fixed and it's no longer necessary to click some distance away from where you actually want your selection to start.
�Cleaned the cobwebs off the bookmarks annotation view and brought it back to life in the bookmarks window and drawer, allowing you to see and edit notes without the Info panel open and the boomarks drawer or window in focus.
Document titles containing newlines will now correctly display in the titlebar of the browser window.

cpac

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2003, 05:46 AM

SP10 rocks.

Everything is as fast as Safari without a doubt.

4.5 is looking like a killer release and something to hold us over till 5.0 SP1 hits the download manager.

BZ

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 09:24 AM

must agree - whereas with sp9 I had about 3 crashes on these forums in the first couple hours, no crashes at all so far (longer than a couple hours) with sp10.

Now I gotta try that autofill...
cpac

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2003, 01:01 PM

must agree - whereas with sp9 I had about 3 crashes on these forums in the first couple hours, no crashes at all so far (longer than a couple hours) with sp10.

Now I gotta try that autofill...
sp10 has been rock solid and smokin' fast so far. I really like the fix for iFrames that are blocked by privacy settings, much nicer looking. Autofill seems to be working too which is a plus. All in all this browser is nice, I've had no problems using it as my default and only browser for over a week now.

-matt

pliny
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 02:36 PM

I think the bookmarks panel is a really neat and useful addition. Yay for open bookmarks when in window fix.

I've mentioned to the OW list the different way OW now handles images�dragging and dropping them as links rather than as images. I think I read somewhere this is the "proper" way it's supposed to be, but does anyone else like dragging and dropping images as images? It's a very simple solution to saving things.

You guys are blessed to get no crashes�I got one on my first spin out and a couple thereafter.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2003, 03:34 PM

I like dragging and dropping them as images. This is easier for dropping on the desktop as well as dropping on other apps (Graphic Converter, Adobe, etc)

BZ

I've mentioned to the OW list the different way OW now handles images�dragging and dropping them as links rather than as images. I think I read somewhere this is the "proper" way it's supposed to be, but does anyone else like dragging and dropping images as images? It's a very simple solution to saving things.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2003, 03:40 PM

I think the bookmarks panel is a really neat and useful addition. Yay for open bookmarks when in window fix.

I've mentioned to the OW list the different way OW now handles imagesdragging and dropping them as links rather than as images. I think I read somewhere this is the "proper" way it's supposed to be, but does anyone else like dragging and dropping images as images? It's a very simple solution to saving things.

You guys are blessed to get no crashesI got one on my first spin out and a couple thereafter.
I'm a huge image drag and drop fan, it's the only way to go.

-matt

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 03:57 PM

Autofill seems to be working too which is a plus.

sp10 is working great for me too! No crashes after a few hours of surfing (knock, knock).

RE: AutoFill - Also working well. Please, please, please add a hotkey combo for autofill. I've submitted this before. I use this alot and since I don't keep the toolbar showing, I have to go to the menu repeatedly for this.

Again, thanks for all the progress. I'm almost ready to delete 4.2!

Joel

Forum Links
Forum Rules