Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jehovah Punishes Cavaziel

Jehovah Punishes Cavaziel
RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 03:02 PM

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 03:10 PM

Now that is just plain weird.

I didn't know the film was considered controversial, but if they follow the New Testament account I can see why Jews would be concerned of how they are portrayed.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:

Now that is just plain weird.

I didn't know the film was considered controversial, but if they follow the New Testament account I can see why Jews would be concerned of how they are portrayed.
It's unfortunate that everyone focuses on Jews when talking about the death of Christ. It was the mob of people who chose to let him die and let a convicted rapist and killer free. It was Ponchos Pilot who let him die.

He could have run away, or lied "I'm not Jesus"... but he wouldn't have fulfilled the prophecy.

Should be a VERY interesting movie.

ZackS
Banned
Oct 23, 2003, 03:19 PM

Now THAT is crazier than a bucket of horse testicles.

Shut up, Jews, no one is going to hate Jews because of this movie. It's like Germans complaining about being portrayed negatively in a movie about the holocaust.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 03:42 PM

The Passion Of Christ, which was filmed in the ancient languages of Latin and Aramaic
Hmm ... should be very interesting.

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

He could have run away, or lied "I'm not Jesus"... but he wouldn't have fulfilled the prophecy.
The Nag Hammadi Scrolls and the Koran say he did do that.

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by mchladek:
Hmm ... should be very interesting.
Even more interesting will be the missing pidgin Greek that almost everyone spoke in public when they couldn't understand each other's tongues.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2003, 04:10 PM

Not surprising at all.

Ezekiel 1:13-14

13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, and like the appearance of lamps: it went up and down among the living creatures; and the fire was bright, and out of the fire went forth lightning.
14 And the living creatures ran and returned as the appearance of a flash of lightning.

I have a Shaman friend who's been struck 4 times, never been hurt badly. He's used to it now.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Not surprising at all.

Ezekiel 1:13-14

13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, and like the appearance of lamps: it went up and down among the living creatures; and the fire was bright, and out of the fire went forth lightning.
14 And the living creatures ran and returned as the appearance of a flash of lightning.

They didn't have Star Wars in them days so there's your ancient science fiction for you.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Really? Got links? That is very very interesting.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2003, 04:36 PM

Yes, it is. However, that same passage is contradicted over 20 times in the rest of the texts. That one gnostic author was a bit nutso (I'll look up the name when I get home).

Dunno if it's in the Qu'ran. Maybe one of the Muslim members can shed light on that.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

catsank
Oct 23, 2003, 04:38 PM

Really? Got links? That is very very interesting.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
Shut up, Jews, no one is going to hate Jews because of this movie. It's like Germans complaining about being portrayed negatively in a movie about the holocaust.
I would hesitate to be that dismissive of their concerns. Its not irrational to think that a film that reinforces the NT account (Jews demanded Christ be killed even against the protestations of Pilate) might stir up anti-Jewish sentiment. After all, centuries of anti-Jewish sentiment in Europe was justified precisely because they were "Christ-killers".

willed
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 04:58 PM

Let me learn ya.

Jesus blatantly was crucified. Other than the fact that he was a teacher on Galilee 2000 years ago, this is one of the few things we can know about him. Why? Because of the criterion of embarrassment. That is to say that the crucifixion itself was an embarrassment to the Christian community; wouldn't you be embarrassed if the guy you thought was going to become King, change the world etc was simply strung up like a common criminal? You therefore wouldn't make up sh!t like this. The prophecy stuff is all post facto, to explain for this rather inconvenient setback to Christian world domination.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by willed:
Let me learn ya.

Jesus blatantly was crucified. Other than the fact that he was a teacher on Galilee 2000 years ago, this is one of the few things we can know about him. Why? Because of the criterion of embarrassment. That is to say that the crucifixion itself was an embarrassment to the Christian community; wouldn't you be embarrassed if the guy you thought was going to become King, change the world etc was simply strung up like a common criminal? You therefore wouldn't make up sh!t like this. The prophecy stuff is all post facto, to explain for this rather inconvenient setback to Christian world domination.
The ultimate "I meant to do that.."

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 05:22 PM

Yes, it is. However, that same passage is contradicted over 20 times in the rest of the texts. That one gnostic author was a bit nutso (I'll look up the name when I get home).
Same argument can be aimed at the New Testament. How many contradictory stories? So neither is better than the other. But over a billion Muslims have carried over the tradition of the Gnostics who said an imposter took the place of Jesus on the cross. Christendom meanwhile worships a resurrected godman figure similar to the cults before Christianity.

But I'm an atheist so I can sit back and laugh at both sides.

ZackS
Banned
Oct 23, 2003, 05:39 PM

I would hesitate to be that dismissive of their concerns. Its not irrational to think that a film that reinforces the NT account (Jews demanded Christ be killed even against the protestations of Pilate) might stir up anti-Jewish sentiment. After all, centuries of anti-Jewish sentiment in Europe was justified precisely because they were "Christ-killers".
I disagree, anti-semitism has deeper roots than that. The Jews have been generally treated terribly for a very long time. Just because someone hates Jews and calls then Christ killers doesn't mean that that's the reason for hatred. That's like saying Southerners hated blacks because their skin was a different color. Sure, superficially, but there was (and sadly still is in many places) a much deeper and more real animosity.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2003, 05:47 PM

Same argument can be aimed at the New Testament. How many contradictory stories? So neither is better than the other. But over a billion Muslims have carried over the tradition of the Gnostics who said an imposter took the place of Jesus on the cross. Christendom meanwhile worships a resurrected godman figure similar to the cults before Christianity.

But I'm an atheist so I can sit back and laugh at both sides.
you have an interesting agenda there.

FWIW, not ALL Christians believe Jesus died on the cross, and not all who believe he died believe he resurrected from the dead. The resurrection story isn't required for some people to have faith.
- Thomas Paine

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
I disagree, anti-semitism has deeper roots than that. The Jews have been generally treated terribly for a very long time. Just because someone hates Jews and calls then Christ killers doesn't mean that that's the reason for hatred. That's like saying Southerners hated blacks because their skin was a different color. Sure, superficially, but there was (and sadly still is in many places) a much deeper and more real animosity.
You are probably right. Anyone who uses the "christ killer" excuse to hate Jews would probably hate them even if the NT didn't say they are to blame. I didn't mean to imply that the film might suddenly convert someone into a Jew-hater. But I can sympathize with Jews who fear it might stir the pot.

The question remains whether or not the film really would stir things up enough amoung the Jew-haters to be a concern. I have no idea having not seen it. It might be that these groups are being outraged over nothing at all. In fact, that might even be the most likely scenario.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
....... It was Ponchos Pilot who let him die......
the baddest bandito in old jerusalem?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 06:13 PM

FWIW, not ALL Christians believe Jesus died on the cross, and not all who believe he died believe he resurrected from the dead. The resurrection story isn't required for some people to have faith.
Perhaps not all who claim Christianity believe this. But as Paul said if the death and resurection of Christ did not take place, there is no reason for faith. My question is... how the heck do you say you believe in Jesus, if you... don't?

Infact You would basically find all the New Testament authors brutally refuting that very notion. Why do I constantly hear people quoting Gnostism lately? I would love to actually hear someone use this as a source and then say they actually believe these people had a clue what they were talking about, otherwise you're using using it to promote FUD about something that there shouldn't be any about!

Gnostism is as to Christianity
as SCO group is to IBM.

catsank
Oct 23, 2003, 06:14 PM

Every which way but loose,
You turn me every which
way but loose...

So many stories so little time.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Perhaps not all who claim Christianity believe this. But as Paul said if the death and resurection of Christ did not take place, there is no reason for faith. My question is... how the heck do you say you believe in Jesus, if you... don't?

Infact You would basically find all the New Testament authors brutally refuting that very notion. Why do I constantly hear people quoting Gnostism lately? I would love to actually hear someone use this as a source and then say they actually believe these people had a clue what they were talking about, otherwise you're using using it to promote FUD about something that there shouldn't be any about!

Gnostism is as to Christianity
as SCO group is to IBM.

What do we have on the resurrection? Some scattered contradictory stories and accounts? True, maybe one can rely on faith to believe in it, but for anyone else, that type of evidence holds no water.

Gnosticism, well, do you really think that all those who followed Christ, or his teachings stuck to the 4 canonical Gospels? Not really.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
What do we have on the resurrection? Some scattered contradictory stories and accounts? True, maybe one can rely on faith to believe in it, but for anyone else, that type of evidence holds no water.

Gnosticism, well, do you really think that all those who followed Christ, or his teachings stuck to the 4 canonical Gospels? Not really.
What do we have to know that September 11th happened? Some scattered contrradictory stories and accounts? Some video tape that could easily have been doctered? Statement sounds pretty rediculous doesn't it? Do you not think that there's a reason WHY Paul wrote to people and said "hey if you don't trust my word GO TALK TO THE PEOPLE WHO SAW HIM RAISED!"
And if something like teaching people after His resurection was fake, don't you think people probably wouldn't have made it such a huge number?

Your claims that it's not an EASY thing to believe are pretty lame, it's only uneasy to believe if you actually don't look at the facts and spout off the fact that SOME people didnt' believe! And of course not everyone stuck to the four cannonal gosspels, and not everyone thought the same way, we didn't have the doctrine of the deity of the Holy Spirit till... shoot which councel was it, I'd have to check my notes. Either way just because SOME people didn't believe it is not a valid excuse. Some people don't believe that people have been on the moon yet, some people believe that the holocaust never happend, and some people might even believe that I'm watching them right now with little mini spy cams that I bought on ebay!
Just because people believe or don't believe something DOES NOT MAKE IT VALID.
Hoi ba!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2003, 06:27 PM

Hoi ba!

I agree wholeheartedly.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:

I agree wholeheartedly.
Wait... wait a minute... just... we agree? We actually agree?! Let's celibrate with drink and dancing! BRING ON THE VIRGINS!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2003, 06:33 PM

Wait... wait a minute... just... we agree? We actually agree?! Let's celibrate with drink and dancing! BRING ON THE VIRGINS!
I agree with the part of your post that I quoted. That has no bearing on the rest of the stuff you said.

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 06:40 PM

I don't have any agenda. I openly make fun.

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 06:42 PM

Hooha! I agree too! Bring on Sister Mary in garters!

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 07:42 PM

What do we have to know that September 11th happened? Some scattered contrradictory stories and accounts? Some video tape that could easily have been doctered? Statement sounds pretty rediculous doesn't it? Do you not think that there's a reason WHY Paul wrote to people and said "hey if you don't trust my word GO TALK TO THE PEOPLE WHO SAW HIM RAISED!"
And if something like teaching people after His resurection was fake, don't you think people probably wouldn't have made it such a huge number?

Your claims that it's not an EASY thing to believe are pretty lame, it's only uneasy to believe if you actually don't look at the facts and spout off the fact that SOME people didnt' believe! And of course not everyone stuck to the four cannonal gosspels, and not everyone thought the same way, we didn't have the doctrine of the deity of the Holy Spirit till... shoot which councel was it, I'd have to check my notes. Either way just because SOME people didn't believe it is not a valid excuse. Some people don't believe that people have been on the moon yet, some people believe that the holocaust never happend, and some people might even believe that I'm watching them right now with little mini spy cams that I bought on ebay!
Hoi ba!

You missed the point entirely. I stated fact, that all we have on the resurrection are scattered documents, adn contradictory stories, that is fact, are you disputing that? If not, then shoosh for a moment.

My other point was that for those that have no faith, then such evidence is not evidence in itself, just like we have doubters of Sep. 11th.

Please don't twist my words and go on a rollercoaster of projection.

Edit: On further reading of your post, I jsut want to add that the "Christian" movement existed before any Gospel, who are you to say what is the true faith? What if my faith, or my experiences of the divine contradict yours entirely?

It's up to you to take what you will from the Gospels, but like many others, before, and after Paul, it's all a matter of opinion.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
You missed the point entirely. I stated fact, that all we have on the resurrection are scattered documents, adn contradictory stories, that is fact, are you disputing that? .
Oh come on guys. It's the 21st century, far more centuries have passed since we were monkeys. Resurrection? Oh come on.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 23, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by willed:
Let me learn ya.

LOL never heard it explained like that.

Truely amazing.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 23, 2003, 08:30 PM

The very bases of Christianity is about a man dying on the cross for your sins.

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
'Your' sins, Gigli.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2003, 08:38 PM

Hoi ba!
chic[k]en, I'm usually very polite to you, and I'm not going to stop because I understand where you're coming from. I have quite a few fundamentalist family members. HOWEVER, there's just as much (actually there's more) written evidence to support Judeo Gnosticism as there is to support Christianity, in reference to writings from the Apostolic era. In fact, there would probably be a huge Gnostic following if it weren't for the fact that the Christians (specifically the Roman Catholics) hunted them down like dogs and slaughtered them by the 100s of thousands because they wouldn't accept Pauline and Augustinian doctrines regarding Christ.

No, Gnostics aren't "Christians", though they accept Jesus as Christ and their savior. We don't want the stigma and bloodletting associated with that title. And your friend Paul, whom you quote so often, is probably the single worst thing to ever happen to Jesus' message. Paul placed restrictions and laws on a teaching that needed none. Gave power to a class of people who did little but abuse it (the priests and clergy) and almost wiped out the most important thing about Jesus, his love of the world and his ideal that all men and women are sons and daughters of the Most High BY INHERITANCE. Love your neighbor, love God, and.... that's it. Everything else is man's dogma and superfluous bunk.

But hey, believe what you want. Be strong in what faith you have. Just don't start throwing stones when your Crystal Cathedral is so easy to hit. M'kay?
( Last edited by Shaddim; Oct 23, 2003 at 08:45 PM. )
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2003, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
In your opinion. Some would argue otherwise.
- Thomas Paine

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
the baddest bandito in old jerusalem?

15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

iWrite
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 09:30 PM

How do we know the crucifixion really took place?

How do we know the resurrection of Christ took place?

Well, then as far as I can tell, how do we KNOW that Jim Caveziel was REALLY hit by lightning?

It's probably a big fat "lie"...just like the crucifixion and the resurrection...

willed
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 09:35 PM

Hoi ba!
Look, idiot boy; oh, forget it... There could be whole books written on why you are so stupid and wrong.

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:

Well, then as far as I can tell, how do we KNOW that Jim Caveziel was REALLY hit by lightning?

It's probably a big fat "lie"...just like the crucifixion and the resurrection...

Could well be bullcrappy. Gibson has been saying tons of nonsense to get publicity, he even said God was working through him to make the film. Holy Mel Gibson, Batman!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2003, 09:41 PM

Um, there ARE Roman records regarding his Crucifiction, it's a pretty well known fact among even secular paleontologists. The resurrection is what's up to interpretation.

Regarding Caveziel, someone did see it, and he was treated for burns... seems rather straight-forward to me.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2003, 09:45 PM

Could well be bullcrappy. Gibson has been saying tons of nonsense to get publicity, he even said God was working through him to make the film. Holy Mel Gibson, Batman!
C'mon. There's a difference between being an Atheist and being a Christian basher/hater. Ever tried being a bit adult and respectful of other people's beliefs? Hmm?
- Thomas Paine

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 09:56 PM

C'mon. There's a difference between being an Atheist and being a Christian basher/hater. Ever tried being a bit adult and respectful of other people's beliefs? Hmm?
No, I got fed up of political correctness for a reason. Even a liberal and moderate belief can be dangerous in the long run. I'm fed up of the greed and conflict associated with religions and cults and think people should just grow up and stop beating around the bush.

How about some respect for my belief? I'm not harming anyone, supporting theocracies, giving money to religious thieves or launching crusades, am I?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 23, 2003, 10:00 PM

'Your' sins, Gigli.
Well I guess if you don't believe you are right.

Died or not, it would be useless unless you believe.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 23, 2003, 10:02 PM

Not saying it's true. It is however possible.

Not that far fetched, and I honestly don't think it's to get publicity.

IMHO of course.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2003, 10:13 PM

No, I got fed up of political correctness for a reason. Even a liberal and moderate belief can be dangerous in the long run. I'm fed up of the greed and conflict associated with religions and cults and think people should just grow up and stop beating around the bush.

How about some respect for my belief? I'm not harming anyone, supporting theocracies, giving money to religious thieves or launching crusades, am I?
I don't call you stupid for what you believe. Though I don't agree with your thoughts, you have every right to them and more power to you. However, you have a beef with the institution. Christ didn't teach about the "institution", he taught about love and forgiveness. The greedy, opinionated monster that is 90% of the "church" is to blame for your ire, not the Nazarene.

Further, you do very little in support of your beliefs with the biggoted, belittling, self-righteousness you portray. It's rather unseemly and you're a better person than that, I hope. Inflate your case, by presenting information, not your ego.
- Thomas Paine

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 23, 2003, 10:17 PM

However, you have a beef with the institution. Christ didn't teach about the "institution", he taught about love and forgiveness. The greedy, opinionated monster that is 90% of the "church" is to blame for your ire, not the Nazerene.
He has a point.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 10:19 PM

Crucifiction
"CruciFICTION?"

VERY funny there!

Never forget one thing, folks:

Perception IS reality.

If hundreds of millions of people believe that a crucifixion and resurrection took place, and good came out of it, then as far as some christians believe, the they DID happen.

Anyway, about the entire thread, I smell a big fat LOCK coming on...

ThinkInsane, DemonHood, gorgonzola...they'll crucify this thread and NOTHING will resurrect it!

MorningStar
Banned
Oct 23, 2003, 10:28 PM

I don't know about Christ, but I say ROCK ON!!

Here is some lyrics to one of my fav all times bands that worshipped me.

If I existed I mean.

Black Sabbath

Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved?
Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave
Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?
Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

When you think about death do you lose your breath or do you keep your cool?
Would you like to see the Pope on the end of a rope - do you think he's a fool?
Well I have seen the truth, yes I've seen the light and I've changed my ways
And I'll be prepared when you're lonely and scared at the end of our days

Could it be you're afraid of what your friends might say
If they knew you believe in God above?
They should realize before they criticize
That God is the only way to love

Is your mind so small that you have to fall
In with the pack wherever they run
Will you still sneer when death is near
And say they may as well worship the sun?

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ
I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced
Will you be so sure when your day is near, say you don't believe?
You had the chance but you turned it down, now you can't retrieve

Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone
Open your eyes, just realize that he's the one
The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate
Or will you still jeer at all you hear? Yes! I think it's too late.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2003, 10:33 PM

"CruciFICTION?"

VERY funny there!

Never forget one thing, folks:

Perception IS reality.

If hundreds of millions of people believe that a crucifixion and resurrection took place, and good came out of it, then as far as some christians believe, the they DID happen.

Anyway, about the entire thread, I smell a big fat LOCK coming on...

ThinkInsane, DemonHood, gorgonzola...they'll crucify this thread and NOTHING will resurrect it!

You've got issues... that's ok.

It can be spelled either way, like "realised" and "realized". It's a cultural thing.

As far as the thread's concerned, this is a pretty tame discussion, aside from your "leg-hike" quality remarks (BTW, do you have a point?). Things usually get much worse before "lockination" sets in.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules