Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Door To Door Church, Would This Offend You?

View Poll Results: After Reading The Post: Would A Genuine Church Using This Method Offend You?
Poll Options:
I Wouldn't Be Offended, Might Even Show Up 4 votes (5.19%)
I Wouldn't Be Offended Probably Wouldn't Show Up Though 15 votes (19.48%)
I Wouldn't Show Up And I'd Be Irritated, I Hate People Coming To My Door For Any Church Reason 42 votes (54.55%)
I Wouldn't Show Up, Wouldn't Ask Questions, Just Be Pissed, Might Even Tell Others Not To Go 16 votes (20.78%)
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll
Door To Door Church, Would This Offend You?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 01:41 PM

Hey guys it's another one of my little focus groups, I hope we can keep this as civil and on topic as the other one was (well it was for a good long time although some people got on their soap boxes and went nuts)

Anyway simple question.

We all get irritates with Mormons and in my end JWs going door to door bugging you to accept litterature and what not.

If it was from a Christian church, lets say Baptist or Mennonite or something. And they had like two people walk up to your door, and just hand you a pamphlet saying a new church was being built and inviting you to come to their first service the next week. No asking you if you'd like to come to know Jesus etc and on and on. Just a simple thing, if you had any questions they would be able to answer but would make a point to not shout them out if you don't want to know.

Would this sorta thing still piss you off, and would it make you want to go even less or want to tell others not to go? Or would it be mildly irritating? Feel free to give a breif statement, please don't do a general rant though that won't be helpful.

Thanks in advance

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 01:55 PM

i hate people coming to my door for any reason. period. religion doesnt really have anything to do with it.

kids selling candy.
people looking for handouts.
solicitation of any kind.

i really doubt youre going to find anyone whos pissed just because its some religious person looking to recruit, but enjoys people knocking on their doors offering something else.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2003, 02:07 PM

Do not come to my home trying to sell things. I'm a big scary guy that's mean when irritated. People coming to my door trying to sell things irritates me, thus I tend to get mean. You see the conundrum here?

It's rude and annoying, and I don't buy what is being sold, be it religion or magazine subscription, BECAUSE I DO NOT WANT TO BE BOTHERED IN MY OWN HOME.

The only exception to this rule is kids selling candy for charity or fundraisers.
Nemo me impune lacesset

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2003, 02:33 PM

I'm not rude, but these are my usual tag lines:

Religious
Nice Talk: I am very comfortable with my religion and have no plans to change.

Mean Talk (with smile): Nothing you say in the next five to ten minutes is going to make me change my religious views. If you have some literature, I will review it, if not, have a nice day. I'm not interested in having a religious discussion at this time.

Kids and Candy
Nice Talk: I would prefer to make a direct donation. Give me the organizations name and address/phone.

Mean Talk: I'm not interested in buying any candy.

MY RULES
a) Never hand money over to a stranger. I don't care if it's a kid with candy and a sign that says local 9/11 relief fund. Don't do it.

b) Nothing is worth talking about for more then 3 minutes. I don't care what is is, I'll give them three minutes, and then it's over. That also goes for people pan handling.

c) If they try to begin a prayer, I stop them and say "I don't feel comfortable praying with strangers"

d) If they don't offer an address or phone number, something is odd.

I'm not going to get into a fight, but I do NOT like soliciting.

Pedro the Migo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:59 PM

In general, I'm not a huge fan of strangers showing up at my door for whatever reason. But, if they're just there to politely tell me that a new church is being erected and maybe even invite me to join them there, I probably wouldn't be too annoyed. I wouldn't go to service there or anything, but as long as they're polite and only come once, it wouldn't bother me.
My other brain cylinder is a Chevy.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 24, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Thanks in advance
you can stick your "thanks" up your arse, and you can **** off while you're doing it.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Oct 24, 2003 at 03:34 PM. )
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 03:25 PM

I'd be annoyed. I'd probably politely tell them to leave while closing the door (regardless of whether they kept talking or not). But that holds for anyone who comes to my door wanting something from me. You're not going to get it, so there's no point in trying to continue discussion.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
you can stick your "thanks" up your arse, and you can **** off while you're doing it.
nice.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Oct 24, 2003 at 03:35 PM. )

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2003, 03:40 PM

Grow up.
Nemo me impune lacesset

catsank
Oct 24, 2003, 03:59 PM

Honey !, Is there someone at the door ?

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by catsank:

Honey !, Is there someone at the door ?
Does the fact that you think your chosen path is perfect and everyone else is wrong disturb you in any way?

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 05:26 PM

I would dismiss them asap. I have a mailbox for a reason: I have better things to do than talk to people

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 05:46 PM

I agree with everything ThinkInsane said: Leave me alone unless you're a little kid selling cookies or begging for money for a charity. That's it.

Other than that, I kinda wish I had a Presa Canario or Rottweiler attack dog foaming at the mouth and snarling to drive 'em off.

I wonder what the legal liability is for those people when they DO get bitten by a dog when on your property?

I bet they PLAN to get bitten by dogs...then they sue or settle out of court and donate the money to their cult -- er, church.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Oct 24, 2003, 07:02 PM

I don't appreciate people sticking their big ol' theological noses into my space. Believe what you want to believe, that's fine with me. I just expect the same consideration.

Yesterday while doing some shopping online at the Sierra Trading Post, I was about to check-out when I noticed a Jesus quote at the top of the page. Turned out it was a link, so I inquisitively clicked on it and was taken to a page about the owner of STP and his born-again beliefs...ugh.

I didn't finish checking out. Instead I clicked on their feedback link and sent them this:
I am sorry, you just lost a sale and any future business from me. I am in the middle of planning a cross-country cycling trip and was delighted to find your website and product offering. I was about to complete a purchase when on top of the page appeared a supposed quote from Jesus Christ. I clicked on the linked quote to discover a page professing the owner's born-again beliefs. I believe a person's spiritual beliefs are their own business, and if the owner truly believes that God created the Sierra Trading Post, then more power to him and his God and their venture in capitalism (not sure his Son would agree). But I disagree with the promotion of his belief system through the form of commerce. I believe by doing so, your company alienates many potential customers due to the international nature of web commerce.

I believe so strongly about this that I will not continue with my order and will be taking this order and all future purchases to your competitor, REI.com, who appear to be a non-denominational business.

Regards,
<my name>
I know I'll probably get flamed by some for that, but dammit people, keep your religion to yourself. Is it so hard to respect your fellow worshiper or non-worshiper?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 07:07 PM

i don't tolerate spam in my email box, i don't tolerate spam on the telephone, and i certainly do not want it knocking on my door either.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

voyageur
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 07:16 PM

Sierra Trading Post's Jesus thing on their catalog always bothered me. But I buy from them anyway, it's good stuff and cheap.

I don't like people coming to the door, period, unless it's a neighborhood kid I know trying to raise money for the band or a school trip. I always buy from the neighborhood kids.

We don't very many religious solicitors here on the east coast, but when we lived in California, my lordy, we had every persuasion in the book coming to our door. My husband kept a little collection of all the pamphlets (Hare Krishnas, Jehovah's Witness, Mormons, Druids, whatever) and decided the next solicitor to come to our door would get one of the pamphlets and a "Well I'm not interested in your religion, but have you heard about THIS?"

Sometimes I just tell them I'm a happy church-going atheist (true). And that usually ends the conversation.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 07:16 PM

The problem with that kind of thing is that they never give you enough information about their congregational activities, etc. They keep everything vague (or prophetic).

So I'd respect a couple people who dropped off a pamphlet ABOUT THEIR CONGREGATION, not their religion. What activities do they do? Give me a program /order of service from their last service so I can see what it's like. Etc. And if you meet in a movie theater, don't give me an address -- tell me it's a movie theater beforehand. (That was funny)

Anything evangelical and I'm not going. But that's why I don't go to any christian church. They don't discipline themselves in their marketing.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2003, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by keekeeree:
I don't appreciate people sticking their big ol' theological noses into my space. Believe what you want to believe, that's fine with me. I just expect the same consideration.

Yesterday while doing some shopping online at the Sierra Trading Post, I was about to check-out when I noticed a Jesus quote at the top of the page. Turned out it was a link, so I inquisitively clicked on it and was taken to a page about the owner of STP and his born-again beliefs...ugh.

I didn't finish checking out. Instead I clicked on their feedback link and sent them this:

I know I'll probably get flamed by some for that, but dammit people, keep your religion to yourself. Is it so hard to respect your fellow worshiper or non-worshiper?
Two things you should always separate from your business: You religion, and your politics. I have seen places that try and shove both down your throat, and although a quote on a web page not might be enough to turn me away, some folks take it too far. I stopped at this little country ice cream stand one day. They had a bulletin board encased in glass. It was divided into two sections. One, was all born again Christian literature, the other ultra right wing conservative stuff. I explained to the owner that if his board was turning, me, a Republican Catholic away from his business, imagine what liberal atheist must think. He told me that he doesn't want to do business with people like that, and he didn't want to do business with me either. I wonder if he's still in business...
Nemo me impune lacesset

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
...and he didn't want to do business with me either.

I guess there's a market for everything. And if he's still in business, then I guess there's enough of a market for ultra right-wing conservative born-again Christian ice cream lovers to stay in business

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Do not come to my home trying to sell things. I'm a big scary guy that's mean when irritated. People coming to my door trying to sell things irritates me, thus I tend to get mean. You see the conundrum here?

It's rude and annoying, and I don't buy what is being sold, be it religion or magazine subscription, BECAUSE I DO NOT WANT TO BE BOTHERED IN MY OWN HOME.

The only exception to this rule is kids selling candy for charity or fundraisers.
Not even them.

IMHO there should be registry. Anyone planning to go door to door should have to get a copy from the municipality, and obey the desires of the residents.

If I want something, I go buy it, or donate, or whatever. No need to come to me.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 08:24 PM

Just for clarity yes this is something where the type of congregation would be emphasized, and there would be real information about the church, IE if one was planted in an area where there were many single mothers, we might have a support group for single mothers or something taking place and we'd make sure to have the people mention that sorta thing.

It would basically be, hi we're new in this end of the city, we just wanted to let you know if there is anything that we're doing that might be useful to you, or that you might want to be a part of.
It would not be evangelistic in the least. Of course the goal would be that through providing for the needs of the community and letting them know that God cares for them, in the way that we're trying to, they might see why they should come to know Christ. If not then they just get to use what we offer them.

Anyway it wouldn't be trying to sell, and there wouldn't be an attempt at conversion.

Question then, what would you find acceptable

A house visit,
A flyer in your mail box
A bill board or sign near the church or somewhere?
An add on TV?

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 08:28 PM

So if someone knocked on your door and said they where giving away free vouchers to visit a new supermarket thats just been built, would anyone get offended by that ?.

I would say to the church people, I am not interested in going to church. and maybe have a laugh with them about the fact that I am not religious but I wouldnt want to discuss it. I dont think they will want to be converted to not believing in their thing, so I wont bother trying, and I certainly wont be converted myself.

We all get irritates with Mormons and in my end JWs going door to door bugging you to accept litterature and what not.
-superchicken quote
I dont get irritated by any of them, just say no and mean it.
i and i am an ideeot , yes

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2003, 08:34 PM

ok well most people do.

By the way would it irritate you less if we had the cute sunday school kids going door to door selling chocolate with church pamphlets attached?

OK that one's a joke.

By the way feel free to stipulate that hearing about any sorta Christian thing makes your blood boil and gives you a desire to make bread from the people's bones.

You can also mention what you feel people come do to effectively show you that they have something valid to offer.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 08:38 PM

Any stranger knocking on my door is an intrusion, unless they genuinely need help or have an emergency.

Friends and neighbors are welcome any time. Strangers, no.

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 08:50 PM

There is no law saying that you have to answer your door.

As a kid , I did go around the doors with a tin with...churchs overseas written on it. It was given to us by the school and was intended for staying in the house for family/friends to put money in. I cant remember the amount, but I decided that I needed it more than them and so I kept most of the cash.

I did give the school the tin back and they where very surprised at the amount I gave them. So everyone was happy.

My consience is still clear , by the way..

Chuckmcd
Senior User
Oct 24, 2003, 08:50 PM

I respect your right to do as you wish but I don't find what you saw as offensive. It was a quote, could have been any random quote from any philosopher... you clicked on it, I don't see why you should complain. he has every right to speak what he believes and it seems to me that he did it in such a way that unless you wanted to know what it was about you didn't have to read it.

I'm not trying to flame you, but it seems like an extreme reaction just because someone had a link on his site.

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 09:00 PM

I think, and yeah I am not trying to flame anyone either, that If you are secure about yourself and what you do, or dont believe, then its not going to offend you.

Unless its happening all the time and you cant get your grass cut because a religious person keeps pounding you with it and you cant take it anymore

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 10:46 PM

why are church goers so interested in getting not church goers to go to church? are they that desperate for members or something that they have to go knock on people's doors to find people who want to go to church? respect other people's privacy. i hate solicitors.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 24, 2003, 11:14 PM

Don't you have enough people in your cult or do you really need new recruits?

"Hello, what have we here?

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2003, 12:26 AM

One of the basic teachings behind Christianity is to think of others as greater than yourselves, thus if you see someone who does not know the God who has brought so much joy and peace into your life, and you honestly love them you can't help but want to offer them the chance to make the same decision you have.

Of course the problem is many churches get started, see good numbers and start spamming and eventually start thinking of just doing a good job and forgetting why they're doing it. The door to door ministry is generally held as something that nobody has a problem with in the church, but I was thinking about it today and I think it might have lost it's touch.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 12:47 AM

Why is the poll showing me this???

bobette
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 12:54 AM

Anyway it wouldn't be trying to sell, and there wouldn't be an attempt at conversion.
AhahHAHAHAHAAAaaaAAA!!!! Heeeheheheheeeee.... feeee.... hoooo...*snortle* ahahHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Good one Chicken Boy.

Question then, what would you find acceptable

A house visit,
A flyer in your mail box
A bill board or sign near the church or somewhere?
An add on TV?

Either one would annoy the sh!t outta me.

this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 12:55 AM

if you see someone who does not know the God who has brought so much joy and peace into your life, and you honestly love them you can't help but want to offer them the chance to make the same decision you have.
Buddy, you yourself said you have contemplated suicide, you don't want to live longer then you have to, plus the last thing that comes to mind when I think of you is joy and peace so please tell me what God has done for you exactly.

Seriously

bobette
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 01:02 AM

an attempt at conversion.
Whoa!! The use of words! An "attempt at conversion"???

Sounds like the Crusades to me!! So that's the terminology they teach at Bible School...

this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by bobette:
Whoa!! The use of words! An "attempt at conversion"???

Sounds like the Crusades to me!! So that's the terminology they teach at Bible School...

Exactly...conversion...as in, "Sorry, you're so pythetic that you don't know which diety to believe in."

Sorry...I've had a lot of J.D./Cokes tonight...I've got no tolerance for born-again's...just leave the rest of us alone...is that so frickin' hard?!?
( Last edited by keekeeree; Oct 25, 2003 at 03:08 AM. )

asleep@thewheel
Oct 25, 2003, 06:47 AM

what are you a ****in' limey midget?

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2003, 09:34 PM

just leave the rest of us alone...is that so frickin' hard?!?
So because I'm a Christian I should cut myself off from socity because you've chosen to be offended by who I am? How tollerant of you.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 09:43 PM

So because I'm a Christian I should cut myself off from socity because you've chosen to be offended by who I am? How tollerant of you.
Again, replace Christian with gay and the irony shines through

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Eactly havn't you heard me say the similarities as to how they are treated are pretty impressive?

And the odd thing to note is that even though both sides recognize that socity in general craps on em... they still act badly toward eachother.

Kinda dumb if you ask me.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 10:45 PM

I hate the word conversion. Really.

We're not here to "convert" people. I'd ask any christian that if they could make everyone become a christian regardless would they?. Sure, no one burns in hell, but at what cost? I'm sorry, but when I read the Bible I see more than sinners burning and everyone else in happy-land.

Keep in mind that we have a different perspective and beliefs. If you can't respect me as a person despite that then why should you be respected as a person?

Btw, I can only say that christians that hate gays are not very good christians. What you hear speaks for a very small group of what you wrongfully call "christians".
( Last edited by Tulkas; Oct 25, 2003 at 11:12 PM. )

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 10:46 PM

Eactly havn't you heard me say the similarities as to how they are treated are pretty impressive?
Christians are beat up on the streets for loving Jesus, can't marry or aren't granted equal rights?

Wow, news to me.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 25, 2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Btw, I can only say that christians that hate gays are not very good christians. What you hear speaks for a very small group of what you wrongfully call "christians".

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 11:19 PM

Christians are beat up on the streets for loving Jesus, can't marry or aren't granted equal rights?

Wow, news to me.
Christians are actually one of the most persecuted groups ever. If you count anyone who believes in God, even if you ignore moslems, they are THE most persecuted group ever. The things done to them make getting beat up a walk in the park.

What is marriage anyway? Its a commitment between two people. They don't want marriage they want tax benefits, or as usual, to be treated "special" and unequivocally right.

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 25, 2003, 11:23 PM

it'd irritate me b/c direct mail could accomplish the same thing. Plus I DO NOT like being bothered at home.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 25, 2003, 11:23 PM

I know many Christians that have been beaten up for being "sissy Christian boys"

I wont mention the verbal abuse that Christians get in here either.

I've been called a "idiot, naive, small minded, bigot, child molester, hate monger, and so on because I am a Christian.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 25, 2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Uday's Carcass:
it'd irritate me b/c direct mail could accomplish the same thing. Plus I DO NOT like being bothered at home.
I usually invite them in if I have time. They usually want to leave in a hurry.

They usually give them things to say, and if you go past those 'lines" it confuses them.

They are used to people blowing them off.

Besides there have been some REALL HOT LDS gals stopping by here from time to time.

Just doesn't happen often.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 12:41 AM

Yes, but gay people don't go door-to-door like a demented vacuum cleaner salesman trying to convert perfectly happy people into something they don't want to be.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 26, 2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by qnxde:
Yes, but gay people don't go door-to-door like a demented vacuum cleaner salesman trying to convert perfectly happy people into something they don't want to be.
They just do it online.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 01:03 AM

Door to door Church certainly wouldn't offend me: I wouldn't notice, 'coz nobody gets near my front door without first phoning me to tell me they're coming.
Those gates I installed are worth their weight in gold.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2003, 03:20 AM

Yeah. I wouldn't like this. At all. Doesn't really need any explanation I think
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules