Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > With all of these grim 10.3 threads...how is the upgrade worth it?

With all of these grim 10.3 threads...how is the upgrade worth it?
martimaxin
Mar 29, 2004, 12:36 AM

I've read a lot of people's problems with 10.3 and I'm thinking about upgrading in the future...but now I'm not really in a huge rush anymore.
What's so great about Panther? Would you go back to Jag?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2004, 12:42 AM

You see more grim threads because people come here for help and have to discuss the problem. Plus, people are more willing to talk about what they don't like or have problems with 10.3 then what they do like and how awesome it is...

I, for one, absolutely adore Panther and haven't had much of a problem at all. Jag? Yeah right...NEVER...

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 01:03 AM

No way I'd ever go back to Jaguar. Panther's fast user switching alone is worth the upgrade for me. Other people have other reasons. Look at the feature list and if there's anything there you might use, then go for it.

there's certainly no drawback apart from laying out some dosh. Every system has it's bugs. Panther has no more than Jaguar did. Just different people noticing them, in different circumstances.

brother337
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2004, 03:04 AM

For me and my tiny 12" screen, Expos� alone was worth the upgrade.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Mar 29, 2004, 03:05 AM

The forums are a great way to check out any upgrade in advance. I usually wait one or two weeks just to on the safe side. Worked everytime so far. Im on 10.3.3. now and loving it.

Back to Jaguar? No way. Couldn`t live without Expose anymore.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

xe0
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2004, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by brother337:
Expos� alone was worth the upgrade.

Expos� is the best addition to an opperating system since the mouse imho. That and Panther is fast and snappy; if you dont have Panther, GET it! Its arguably the best OS on any platform

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2004, 03:20 AM

I think the original poster meant: "If you could get your $120 back, would you switch to Jaguar?" But maybe I am wrong.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2004, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
I think the original poster meant: "If you could get your $120 back, would you switch to Jaguar?" But maybe I am wrong.
If so, I think most people would agree with me and say NO.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2004, 03:37 AM

I was going to post a very similar thread, except I'm wondering whether 10.3.3 is worth upgrading to, from 10.3.2. Perhaps I'll wait until 10.3.4 is out.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2004, 04:06 AM

I still use 10.2 at school, and the difference is definitely noticeable. As far as my use is concerned, 10.2 -> 10.3 is a much bigger improvement than 10.1 -> 10.2. The lack of Expos� alone is enough to drive me nuts (I'm constantly reaching for F9 or F11 only to realize they won't do anything). Then there's the native ability to work with Word files, a Safari that works right, Fast User Switching, Preview's unspeakable awesomeness and the sidebars in the Finder and Open/Save panels.

I definitely think the upgrade was money well spent.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

pdot
Senior User
Mar 29, 2004, 04:25 AM

The thing that got me sold on Panther was the improved Finder. I started with a clean install, but even now, which is more than half a year after upgrading, everything is still running faster than in Jaguar. Expos� is nice, but I still haven't trained myself to use it all the time. It's probably b/c I don't need it most of the time. I upgraded for the speed boost and I got what I paid for (using student discount).
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

ebsidohw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 04:57 AM

I paid the full $129 for my copy of Panther, and would have paid double now that I've used it for several months. Like someone else mentioned before, ppl come here seeking help. That's why you hear a lot of horror stories. But every so often you run into threads with messages like this:

Nope, my Mac is not dead.
No, 10.3.3. didn't kill my iMac
No, my OSX doesn't have regular KPs
No, the last system update didn't eat my Users' folder.
No...
In fact, i have no horror story to relate, sorry guys.

Everything's fine this side, thanks!
Everything works. All iLife apps work, all my devices (scanner, digital mouse, modem cable, digital camera, microphone, UPS, printer), everything works like a charm.
As we say in France: "�a baigne"
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=206732

Granted, I dont agree with what the author said after that bit, but the point is, many more people have good experiences with their macs and their upgrades. Despite the fact that you see a lot of horror stories, you shoudl also notice that you see a lot of help for the problems people encounter, and most of the time, you'll see a resolution in the same thread.

Cipher13
Mar 29, 2004, 05:15 AM

10.3 works fine for me. That said, the Finder blows.

I decided to stick with 10.2 on the rest of my machines, after "upgrading" my iBook. I've also replaced the Finder in 10.3 with PathFinder.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 06:55 AM

I don't have problems with 10.3.
To me all the sum all improvements in 10.3 is worth the upgrade.
Not only Expos� or fast user switching (i don't use both very often), but the update to the unix system, the new finder (I really like the sidebar), the updates to the applications (and iLife 04), the speed improvements, the labels, the ability to create restore disk images or to clone the system, ink working with German words, the new look, better AppleScript ...

I really like the new finder - even if it is brushed metal. I couldn't live without the sidebar and the volumes mounting in the sidebar.

Ken Masters
Banned
Mar 29, 2004, 07:47 AM

there is only one annoying bug, that buggs the crap out of me in panther.

That is if you have lots of pictures in the drawer of preview app, it crahses when closing.

Never once did it not crash, and i use the preview app to preview a lot of pictures.

Other than that, worth ever penny.

ebsidohw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 08:02 AM

How many pictures is a lot?

The most I've ever previewed at a time was 150. Other than that, I usually average about 50-75 photos per preview session. Never had a problem with preview crashign on me though.

I used to have problems with just about every program crashing on me, but that all stopped after 10.3.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2004, 08:05 AM

I would have to agree. The New Finder I really like, Expose, Fast user Switching, the speed improvements and now with 10.3.3 the improved SMB sharing. They saved me 119 dollars on DAVE because of it. Would I go back to Jag? NEVER
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2004, 08:17 AM

I CANNOT AGREE MORE!

(oh and everything else works really great here; my single issue is that prolonged heavy network usage (as in gigabyte-filetransfers) will cause my iMac to freeze up. So I do large transfers via disk rather than Airport.)

-s*

sheer
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2004, 08:49 AM

Panther is further evidence that a very strong OS is maturing nicely.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 10:27 AM

After upgrading from Jaguar, I never knew how the OS could be improved.

Stick with Panther, you will love it. It makes Jaguar feel so outdated.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2004, 11:48 AM

I've recently started a new job with a Mac on my desk (woohoo!) although it runs 10.2. I have to say that there's a few niceties which I'd like to have, but there's no way I'd pay to upgrade this late. Panther is nicer than Jaguar, no question at all, but it's not the major leap forward that some claim.

Expose, fast user switching, new Safari (although Apple should upgrade it for 10.2!), the newer iApps and fast PDF in Preview are features I do miss.

I agree with Cipher that the 10.3 Finder upgrades are fairly worthless token gestures (although he didn't say that in so many words) and the overly large grid spacing is a nuisance which negates most improvements. But I always harp on about that!

Every OS upgrade is an improvement, and I can't imagine Apple will come out with a Windows ME any time soon. I'm waiting for 10.4 before I put an order through at work though.

Chris

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 12:15 PM

Im on the 'Yes, the 10.3 Finder really suck, but everything is pretty awesome!' wagon...

IamBob
Senior User
Mar 29, 2004, 12:36 PM

*climbs on the wagon*

Finder
Everything else

fritzair
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2004, 01:00 PM

What, all I need is faster user switching and expose?????

If you can afford the $129.00, buy a bigger monitor.

Tell the other users to get off your machine, now that's faster user switching!

FW sucks on 10.3. My external drives is rendered useless, with no fix.

What was wrong with "Favorites" in the go menu?

Otherwise 10.3 is great.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 01:03 PM

Does anyone have any experience using professional audio with soft synths and 10.3? I had heard there were compatibility issues getting all the hardware and software necessary for recording to work properly, so I've held off.

Also - anyone use Quark 6 with 10.3? They both came out relatively close to one another, so I was worried about testing the ever-crappy Quark on the newest OS.
It's the devil's way now.

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 02:28 PM

I'm cornfused. What is it about the new Finder that sucks? Perhaps those who feel it sucks could explain, and also learn to use the new features. I feel it does not suck. Perhaps you will find it sucks less?

The one problem I have is that when I select multiple files on my desktop, as soon as I start to drag them, the finder restarts itself. Does anyone have a fix?

My workaround is to drag desktop files one at a time. This works with no problem.

As for Favorites, you can add any folders to the Sidebar and drag *any* items into them. This makes Favorites obsolete and redundant. If you want access to any files via the MenuBar in any app, get FruitMenu, or see MacWorld's tips on using the AppleScript Menu to 'recreate' the OS9 Apple Menu Items.

As for icon spacing, I've found that putting the filenames on the right side when viewing small icons and underneath for large icon views keeps things pretty darn tight.

I find 10.3.3's logout/login and restart times significantly reduced. I'm talking ten seconds. Instant sleep/wake-up. Absolutely no USB problems with printer, scanner, keyboard, mouse, PowerMate and FlyLight.

I use Expos� CONSTANTLY. The current MacWorld has incredible Panther tips. The tips on using drag-and-drop with Expos� make my exerience all the more powerful.

The Panther Upgrade installation and now 10.3.3 Update in particular has breathed new life into my old TiBook, extending its life considerably. Next to Jaguar, it is truly astonishing.

As for non-working FW, perhaps (long ago in the days of Jaguar, like me) you blew all FW ports on all devices including your Mac. I might have done this any number of ways. There was a FLURRY of posts on this long ago. Mine was probably *POOF* Thank goodness for AppleCare. Replacing all my external drive housings was a pain, but zero data loss.

I just wish someone would create a utility to extend Safari's Dock icon to be like a program called Safari Menu.

- TiBook 1024 MB RAM, 60GB TravelStar drive, 10.3.3

iMacfan
Senior User
Mar 29, 2004, 02:36 PM

I'd second that Panther is worth every penny. I've had no problems whatsoever, and Expose is a rare beast, in that most features seem necessary, but turn out to be gimmicks, while Expose looks like a gimmick, but is invaluable.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 02:57 PM

Lucky me. I started with the Bondi iMac running 8.1. Every upgrade has been good for me. All the way through 10.3.3.

I would never go back to an old version of the Mac OS.

dvot
Mar 29, 2004, 04:35 PM

pleased as punch with most aspects of 10.3...lots going for it. if it weren't for the fact that I have to boot into 10.2 to download pictures from my USB card reader. c'mon Apple! wassup with finder?javascript:smilie('')

mikerich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by martimaxin:
I've read a lot of people's problems with 10.3 and I'm thinking about upgrading in the future...but now I'm not really in a huge rush anymore.
What's so great about Panther? Would you go back to Jag?
I regret that Favorites has been relegated as it was a really useful feature for those of us who keep deep folders. Yes it's still there, but the menu shortcut to add an item to Favorites has been removed, so it is much less accessible.

I dislike the brushed metal interface - it is just too assertive, Aqua was far easier on the eye.

But if those two problems are the price to pay for Expose - then I'm willing to say long live 10.3!

Now what I would really like is an integrated virtual desktop.

Best wishes,

Mike.

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 05:11 PM

I suspect that Expos� and Fast User Switching will eventually be combined, as an option, so that we can see through transparent layers of users, including desktops on other machines and via the internet. To be able to move and collaborate on files with others in this way is the next big step. It is already being done, but not in the graphically represented way that Panther appears to be so close to offering. My opinion, dream, wish.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2004, 05:16 PM

Keep in mind, this is a support forum. You'll see a hugely disproportionate number of people here with 10.3 problems, because frankly, that's what we're here for.

Out in the "real world", so to speak, these problems have turned out to be quite rare, and the common threads between the users who are having problems have yet to be found. Truth be told, the risk of having problems is quite low. I haven't had any of the problems that people have described.

This said, it is a good idea to back up your system before installing 10.3, whether or not you plan on reformatting the hard drive. This is true of any OS upgrade however, and is by no means exclusive to Macs.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by rockhaus:
I suspect that Expos� and Fast User Switching will eventually be combined, as an option, so that we can see through transparent layers of users, including desktops on other machines and via the internet.
Highly unlikely. This would cause major security issues.

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:

-

No more than Timbuktu. Just another way of net-working with those, and only those, you must network with. Why not see the folders and application layers they 'reveal' to those they choose?

porieux
Baninated
Mar 29, 2004, 06:12 PM

Panther is good except for Networking.

'Browse Network' simply does not work, so if you want to connect to a local machine you have to know the IP address. Particularly fun if you are using DHCP.

Rendezvous? Apparently the Panther Networking team has never heard of it...

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 08:07 PM

I also had networking problems just after upgrading to panther, however the small upgrades did improve it and right now I'm quite happy with networking.

I also had printing problems but they're forgotten now.

I think the finder is much better now than in Jag.

Overall, I love panther. Anytime I use a jag or classic system I get quite "unstimulated"...
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

poolmouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2004, 12:37 AM

amen...i tote my 12" powerbook around all day, every day. panther and it's expose is one of the most brilliant innovations i can remember.

poolmouse

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2004, 05:08 AM

Haven't had a single problem with Panther. Exposé is great. Wouldn't go back.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Cipher13
Mar 30, 2004, 05:51 AM

I suspect that Expos� and Fast User Switching will eventually be combined, as an option, so that we can see through transparent layers of users, including desktops on other machines and via the internet. To be able to move and collaborate on files with others in this way is the next big step. It is already being done, but not in the graphically represented way that Panther appears to be so close to offering. My opinion, dream, wish.
Err... I fail to see the point?

sheer
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2004, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by PookJP:
Does anyone have any experience using professional audio with soft synths and 10.3? I had heard there were compatibility issues getting all the hardware and software necessary for recording to work properly, so I've held off.

Also - anyone use Quark 6 with 10.3? They both came out relatively close to one another, so I was worried about testing the ever-crappy Quark on the newest OS.

I'm using Logic Pro (formerly Platinum) and have had no problems since installing Panther (when it came out) and the subsequent upgrades to Panther. Softsynths etc (Trilogy/Kontakt/Absynth/PhatMatik Pro and all the Logic ones) work fine. Firewire drive (Maxtor One-Touch 200gb) works fine. I'm using a 1ghz 12" PB w/768mb ram btw and I'm yet to push it to the point where sound starts dropping out etc, great little workstation it is, tho it's only used for music.

I'd love to be using Quark 6 at work but our IT Manager has become an evangelist for Dell over the last couple of years and thus we are still stuck on OS9 and Quark 3.32. If we move to OSX our IT Manager has told us InDesign is what we'll get, even tho he has zero hands-on experience of using any DTP programs, but hey, that's why he's worth �50K + car + health package a year.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2004, 08:39 AM

-

No more than Timbuktu.
Significantly more than Timbuktu, actually, because Timbuktu requires authentication before you can see anyone else's data. No system should allow access to another's data without authorization, and yet the system you propose would do exactly that.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by porieux:
Panther is good except for Networking.

'Browse Network' simply does not work, so if you want to connect to a local machine you have to know the IP address. Particularly fun if you are using DHCP.

Rendezvous? Apparently the Panther Networking team has never heard of it...
That's strange...

It works fine for me in 10.3.3... maybe they fixed it.

IamBob
Senior User
Mar 30, 2004, 01:10 PM

What is it about the new Finder that sucks? Perhaps those who feel it sucks could explain, and also learn to use the new features. I feel it does not suck.
All I want is the column browser. Forget the sidebar and toolbar, I don't need those things. I've almost got it but when I open a new folder it defaults to having the sidebar/toolbar combo visible and I have to click the pill to get rid of them. Though, it does get saved so at least it's only a one time thing (per window).

I'm pretty easy to please, YMMV.

The one problem I have is that when I select multiple files on my desktop, as soon as I start to drag them, the finder restarts itself. Does anyone have a fix?
I've never had that problem myself but I'd open the desktop folder in a new window and see if it still chokes on multi-selection drags.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 02:43 PM

I'm very happy with 10.3.3. 10.3.3 fixed some networking issues in 10.3 that realy bugged me, and I'm quite happy now. Things that make 10.3.3 woth the upgrade from 10.2:

1) iChat AV audio chat. I have no use for video, but audio is quite nice
2) The "browse" network feature is much nicer now (10.3.3 helped a lot on this one)
3) Network mounts appear in the window side bar, which is awesome (10.3.3 helped here too)
4) Expos� is really nice, but I often forget to use it.
5) as I mentioned in (3) I really like the side bar. It makes access to favorite folders a lot quicker.
6) I like the new, more metallic look. It's a lot cleaner and less distracting that the stripes in 10.2 and earlier.

To each his own, but I'm very satisfied with 10.3. Of course, it only cost me $20 with my G5 and came in the box with my iBook, so the price was right.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

porieux
Baninated
Mar 30, 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
That's strange...

Doesn't work in 10.3.3 over here, unfortunately.

Network Browsing has not worked in any version of Panther over here.

When you click 'browse' there is one alias called 'servers' that points to the local hard disk. Real useful that is....

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2004, 03:49 PM

Significantly more than Timbuktu, actually, because Timbuktu requires authentication before you can see anyone else's data. No system should allow access to another's data without authorization, and yet the system you propose would do exactly that.
All I propose is that file sharing may go beyond setting up a server for others to log into.

Imagine a secure environment where one window in Expose isn't from your User folder, like fast user switching, like a remote volume, but securely managed by File Sharing.

Imagine in Expose that the window is a document in an app on someone else's login, or via a network, that you have permission to view and manipulate and interact with on your own machine, as if it were on your own machine.

Imagine it isn't real yet and that it hasn't been invented. Imagine I meant that it would work. Imagine I meant it would be very secure.

Cipher13
Mar 30, 2004, 04:36 PM

All I propose is that file sharing may go beyond setting up a server for others to log into.

Imagine a secure environment where one window in Expose isn't from your User folder, like fast user switching, like a remote volume, but securely managed by File Sharing.

Imagine in Expose that the window is a document in an app on someone else's login, or via a network, that you have permission to view and manipulate and interact with on your own machine, as if it were on your own machine.

Imagine it isn't real yet and that it hasn't been invented. Imagine I meant that it would work. Imagine I meant it would be very secure.
Why the tie-in to expos�? That's just silly. Makes very little sense.

I dunno, I get the impression you've had a random idea, posted it, and now are trying to defend it despite how ridiculous it really is.

How will this be beneficial, anyway? You'll still have to log in, hence nullifying the first point; unless you wanna nullify the last point instead, being security.

xe0
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
That's strange...

10.3.3 definitely made some steps toward fixing networking. Now I can go to a LAN and connect to everyone about 95% of the time, instead of 30% like it was with 10.1. And 10.3.3 is still picky with my home network- but much better than before.

Networking is not 100% yet.

brink
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by mikerich:
I regret that Favorites has been relegated as it was a really useful feature for those of us who keep deep folders. Yes it's still there, but the menu shortcut to add an item to Favorites has been removed, so it is much less accessible.
Command-Shift-T = Add to Favorites

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2004, 06:43 PM

chalk up one more in the "would never go back to 10.2" category
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules