Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 fans always on after 10.4.6 update

iMac G5 fans always on after 10.4.6 update
Calli46
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 05:35 PM

Hi all,

While my home PowerMac G4 update to 10.4.6 went smooth as silk, my work iMac G5 update went sour as vinegar!

I tried an incremental update going from 10.4.5 (running beautifully well) to 10.4.6. The update finished but the iMac didn't restart completely : it stopped just before the login screen. So, I restarted manually just to get the same result... I got out my Tiger 10.4.0 install discs and proceeded to a clean install of this, then downloaded the 10.4.6 combo updater and ran it on my fresh Tiger. This time, everything went fine but for one thing : the fans are always on at full speed. The only ways to keep the fans quiet are either to put the machine off or to get it to sleep. In either case, restarting gets the fans blowing full blast again!

I tried zapping the PRAM and the NVRAM to no avail. Maybe, resetting the firmware to what it was before the update would do the trick (getting back control of those damn fans). Someone know where I can find the last firmware for an iMac G5 17'' ?

Or maybe there is something else I can do to calm down those fans ?
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 11:20 PM

Try the steps outlined here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301733. Let us know if it works for you.

Calli46  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2006, 09:35 AM

> Try the steps outlined here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?
>artnum=301733. Let us know if it works for you.

Hi Mojo,

Just read your reply and did what that apple article said to do : IT WORKED!!! The iMac is as silent now as it ever was...

BIG THANKS to you and MacNN for such helpful forums!
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2006, 03:50 PM

You're Welcome! Glad to hear that it was a relatively simple fix.

AppleSnapple84
Apr 6, 2006, 08:53 PM

The question is: Why did your fans go beserk in the first place? Possibly because you didn't disconnect all your peripherals (esp. FireWire ones) before updating the OS, or because you used the Software Updater first instead of downloading the Combo package. Usually doing it over using the combo pack fixes things, but not always. I didn't disconnect anything in my iMac G5 iSight, and the update (using the Combo package) went without a hitch, all is good (after 3 days). But who knows, it seems like these problems strike at random. Glad it came out OK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules