Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > 8.6 and 9.2.2 together on G3

8.6 and 9.2.2 together on G3
arizonaguy1431
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 11:34 AM

Have a beige G3. Have partitioned my drive to have two 4 gig areas. Need to have 8.6 on one, and 9.2.2 on the other due to ancient software. It works, but freezes often, particularly when pulling down a menu or just moving the mouse....the mouse continues to be moveable, but everything else just freezes. System profiler shows 9.2.2 on the 'top'. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 11:55 AM

So what's your question exactly?

tooki

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 01:16 PM

--- "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all" ---

His question is obviously why it freezes often, 'particually when pulling down a menu or just moving the mouse'

Anyway, it sound like your system is underpowered for what you want to do - have you got enough RAM (how much?)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 01:41 PM

You probably need to alocate more memory to the application you are using, just open the get info dialogue and go to memory and up it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
--- "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all" ---

His question is obviously why it freezes often, 'particually when pulling down a menu or just moving the mouse'
Maybe, but what does having 8.6 and 9.2.2 have to do with it? And why is this in the "alternative operating systems" forum?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 02:46 PM

P'haps he's relativly new to Macs, and didn't know if having the two OSs on the machine would be the cause of the problem or not.

And yes, I also wondered why this is still in this forum... and how it managed to escape Tooki's eyes. It is a bit mis-leading though, as the forum for Mac OS is actually called 'Mac OS X', but then underneath it says 'Discussion and support of all Mac operating systems'. That contradicts each other - someone should fix that
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

arizonaguy1431  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 04:26 PM

My question is, do any of you have recommendations on what to do to cure this freezing problem?? Should the 9.2.2 be in a particular partition?? SHOULD running 8.6 and 9.2.2 in different partitions even work?? No, I'm NOT trying to run them at the same time. [I know I mentioned that it worked, but not for long---it always freezes up after an unspecified amount of time, and most often without 'doing' anything...no applications running]. One of you kindly [thank you] asked about the ram.... the machine has 416 mbytes.
I DO know that if I erase the whole 9.2.2 system from it's partition [and that's ALL that's in that partition],, it runs just fine on 8.6.
Thanks for your replies...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 05:32 PM

It shouldn't make any difference if you have two different versions of Mac OS on different partitions, and it certainly shouldn't cause any kind of freezing problem.

What do you mean about running both at the same time? How would that even be possible?

You're saying that 8.6 works fine as long as you don't have 9.2.2 on the other partition? That's bizarre.

mac1896
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by AuldLangMac
Have a beige G3. Have partitioned my drive to have two 4 gig areas. Need to have 8.6 on one, and 9.2.2 on the other due to ancient software. It works, but freezes often, particularly when pulling down a menu or just moving the mouse....the mouse continues to be moveable, but everything else just freezes. System profiler shows 9.2.2 on the 'top'. Any ideas?? Thanks!!
Is the 9.2.2 Install CD White with a Gold 9 on it, or is it a OS 9 disk that went to some other Mac (machine-specific)???

You need a GENERIC 9.x.x install CD (described above), otherwise, things get installed that will cause your system to run funky (when booted to 9, if that is your problem).

8.6 also requires a generic install CD (usually a OS 8.5 CD with the 8.5.1 update included on it), with the downloadable 8.6 update, OR the ORIGINAL SYSTEM SOFTWARE disks (the machine-specific disks that are specifically for the Beige G3), and the downloadable 8.6 update.

I have been told that there IS a 8.6 generic install CD, but I have never, ever, ever, seen one.

Which of the described discs did you install from ?
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2006, 10:16 PM

I gotta ask: how is either 9.2 or 8.5 an "alternative" OS when they're both MacOS?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 01:42 AM

Its not, but he's new to this forum, and the Mac OS forum says as its title:

Mac OS X (18 Viewing)
Discussion and support of all Mac operating systems

- it makes no sense, especially to a newbie, it should say Mac OS, not Mac OS X, hence he probably got confused, because he didnt read the small text underneath, so he assumed it was just discussion for OS X

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by mac1896
Is the 9.2.2 Install CD White with a Gold 9 on it, or is it a OS 9 disk that went to some other Mac (machine-specific)???

You need a GENERIC 9.x.x install CD (described above), otherwise, things get installed that will cause your system to run funky (when booted to 9, if that is your problem).

8.6 also requires a generic install CD (usually a OS 8.5 CD with the 8.5.1 update included on it), with the downloadable 8.6 update, OR the ORIGINAL SYSTEM SOFTWARE disks (the machine-specific disks that are specifically for the Beige G3), and the downloadable 8.6 update.

I have been told that there IS a 8.6 generic install CD, but I have never, ever, ever, seen one.

That's not really true, I had install disks from G4s, G3s and iMacs with OS 9 and they were all intercompatable, unless it was a version of 9 released before the machine was designed then usually the Mac OS Rom was incompatable.

arizonaguy1431  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mac1896

It's as you say....the 9 install disc is white with the gold 9. I used the downloads from Apple to take it to 9.2.2. The 8.5 disc is green, again up to 8.6 with download. Thanks for your reply.

arizonaguy1431  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I gotta ask: how is either 9.2 or 8.5 an "alternative" OS when they're both MacOS?
I'm not surprised, mr. moderator, that you've been able to use what has likely been one of many opportunities to fire away at someone's error while offering nothing to correct it. I trust you have noted that some of the responses here have actually been in the spirit of a worthwhile forum, and to those I offer my sincere thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 6, 2006, 10:46 AM

That's not at all what I meant, and I'm sorry you read my post defensively.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 11:14 AM

... but freezes often, particularly when pulling down a menu or just moving the mouse....the mouse continues to be moveable,..
Have you been using pre-OSX software long?

Because, it's normal when pulling down a menu for everything else to stop. For example a webpage will stop loading, until you release the mouse or choose a menu item.

Just moving the mouse, no it's not normal for things to freeze, unless you're not just moving it but -dragging- also....it may happen.

These are the limitations of the old OS, and just a few of the reasons it was replaced.

It's likely you might have an extension conflict if the freezing is severe. You're in for a hell of a ride.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by shunt
Have you been using pre-OSX software long?

Because, it's normal when pulling down a menu for everything else to stop. For example a webpage will stop loading, until you release the mouse or choose a menu item.

Just moving the mouse, no it's not normal for things to freeze, unless you're not just moving it but -dragging- also....it may happen.

These are the limitations of the old OS, and just a few of the reasons it was replaced.
They were actually fixed in OS 9's last days but Jobs axed them ever being released to the public, I would kill to get ahold of the patched multi-tasking OS9, or perhaps if they ever finished a usable Nu-Kernel... ah well.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MacManMikeOSX
They were actually fixed in OS 9's last days ...
It would sure save alot of G3's from the scrap pile.

I always wondered how hard it would be to run everything in a shell. OS9 system folders are only a few hundred MB each, so what if like ten of them were loaded at boot running in parallel. Even one for each application, if possible. I'm not really versed to know if that would work, but the way classic runs inside OSX...it seems possible.

Anyways, we have it pretty good now.

No complaints here.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by shunt
It would sure save alot of G3's from the scrap pile.

I always wondered how hard it would be to run everything in a shell. OS9 system folders are only a few hundred MB each, so what if like ten of them were loaded at boot running in parallel. Even one for each application, if possible. I'm not really versed to know if that would work, but the way classic runs inside OSX...it seems possible.

Anyways, we have it pretty good now.

No complaints here.
Well Mac OS did not natively multi-task until it was patched to do so, but it could not automatically adjust memory partitions. It is unknown why Apple never patched it seriously to do this, possible because the kernel became unstable, or it broke all backward compatabilty. But with Mac OS's system design in the later versions (7.0 and up), to run many kernels at once would consume massive system resources even if you could patch together a system to do this. In general the Mac OS kernel needed a rewrite it was pure bloatware still full of 68k code and abstraction layers. Infact give Mac On Linux a try this is similar to your idea of running Mac OS in a shell.
That's sort of how A/UX ran, but unfortunatly it was discontinued. I imagine what it would have been like if Apple had had vision and adopted A/UX, which in it's general overall design is similar to OS X but of completely different Unix heritage (It was a "true" Unix).

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by MacManMikeOSX
.., or it broke all backward compatabilty. ...
That was my understanding, so I guess they said might as well start from scratch.

Seems like there was a pretty long period of a little too much juggling and corporate blunders when they were healthy and making money. (and bending Mac users over a barrell because they could).

When the tummy gets full, and the hunger is gone...things get sloppy.

arizonaguy1431  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 02:59 PM

Thanks for asking, Shunt. What I did was copy [drag] the hard drive folder [with 8.6] right from the desktop over our LAN to our company file server. Then, installed a new drive in the G3, partitioned it to have 2 partitions of 4 gigs each, installed 9.2.2 in the first partition using the 9.2.1 CD and then updating it,,, and then dragged all the stuff from the fileserver over to the second partition. Hmm,, perhaps I oughta do a clean install on the 8.6??

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 03:21 PM

Thanks for asking, Shunt. What I did was copy [drag] the hard drive folder [with 8.6] right from the desktop over our LAN to our company file server. Then, installed a new drive in the G3, partitioned it to have 2 partitions of 4 gigs each, installed 9.2.2 in the first partition using the 9.2.1 CD and then updating it,,, and then dragged all the stuff from the fileserver over to the second partition. Hmm,, perhaps I oughta do a clean install on the 8.6??
It is never a good idea unless installing on an identicle setup to simply copy the HD from one box to another, although we all tend to do it out of convenience (all my G3s have cloned HDs). A clean install should clear up any problems!

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2006, 03:07 AM

Another happy ending

Forum Links
Forum Rules