Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Damn Canadians

Damn Canadians (Page 2)
Railroader
Banned
Jun 5, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by MacManMikeOSX
Oh yes you heard me, you scheming canooks! Despite my girlfriend is one, I fear you have some masterful plot to take over the world with all that ice and cold air you hold. Damn the loyalists! We would have won the war of 1812 and subjected you all if it weren't for your friends in red coats. I'm getting paid to sit and post this, I'm beating the system. Needless to say your day will come you liberal pot smoking eskimos.
All I can say is "Canadian Bacon" eh™. It'll tell you what it's all aboot™. LOL™

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
And rarer still?

the important parts of Canada.

Sigh....

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2006, 12:29 AM

Oh yes you heard me, you scheming canooks! Despite my girlfriend is one, I fear you have some masterful plot to take over the world with all that ice and cold air you hold. Damn the loyalists! We would have won the war of 1812 and subjected you all if it weren't for your friends in red coats. I'm getting paid to sit and post this, I'm beating the system. Needless to say your day will come you liberal pot smoking eskimos.
In the war of 1812 the red coats didn't defend Canada. Surprisingly it was the French. When the US tried to invade Canada after kicking the red coats out, they started with the French part (Lower Canada?). The french beat the American's so bad they made it all the way to Washington DC and set the White House on fire. The building got the name White House because after the fire they whitewashed the thing to cover up the burn marks.

There's even a song about it. See http://deadtroll.com/1812/index.html
:)

Seb G
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
My physics professor was Canadian and always said 'aboat,' and there were a couple other words he'd say differently. At first, we'd snicker, but then we got used to it and didn't really notice it. But what really bugged me is when he'd pronounce 'sine' and 'cosine' literally 'sin' and 'cos.'
"sinsh" and "cosh" for the hyperbolics of them, too? Some of the British do it, too. Some say "shine" instead of "sinsh", which I find even worse (although I like the professor who'd write "\dots" on the blackboard when he meant "...").

MacManMikeOSX  (op)
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by t6hawk
In the war of 1812 the red coats didn't defend Canada. Surprisingly it was the French. When the US tried to invade Canada after kicking the red coats out, they started with the French part (Lower Canada?). The french beat the American's so bad they made it all the way to Washington DC and set the White House on fire. The building got the name White House because after the fire they whitewashed the thing to cover up the burn marks.

There's even a song about it. See http://deadtroll.com/1812/index.html
How is that possible all of Canada was ceded to England in the 1700's there weren't any real French left in Canada (Reference). And it was certainly the British that burned our White House down (Reference). No French, no where; besides in encouraging the U.S. to attack Great Britain.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 6, 2006, 10:56 AM

Yes, it was the Brits who burned down Washington. As I understand it though, they basically just attacked gov't buildings, but left homes intact.

P.S. I live close to Fort York, which is what the Americans burned down before the Brit Washington invasion.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2006, 11:07 AM

Seems there was a lot of burning going on them days.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2006, 11:07 AM

The fort in my town (there was two, one is still standing, the other was wood and burned to the ground) fought against the Brits in the war of 1812. There were several large naval battles there. The fort was taken by the British in the war of 1812 and later retaken by the Americans. Weren't a Frenchman in sight.

That fort has a pretty interesting history. It was the only Revolutionary era fort still being used as an active military post up until the 1950's. It was also the only place in the US that housed European Jewish war refugees in the US during WW2. CBS did a mini-series about that a couple of years back. Neat place.
Nemo me impune lacesset

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 6, 2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
I've said it before but I have NEVER EVER EVER heard a canadian say that before in my whole life.
Must be a more of a hick thing.

They do say "Eh" a lot so pick on us about that one.
I worked with a CF captain a while back. From Montreal, in fact. His accent was "interesting," but in addition to a bit of French, he had a bit of Scott as well. He said "aboot" rather regularly. Since we were in San Antonio, Texas at the time, it was refreshing to hear something from the North. I grew up close enough to Canada to get the CBC all the time (and I'll date myself by saying one of my favorite kid shows was "The Friendly Giant").

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I worked with a CF captain a while back. From Montreal, in fact. His accent was "interesting," but in addition to a bit of French, he had a bit of Scott as well. He said "aboot" rather regularly. Since we were in San Antonio, Texas at the time, it was refreshing to hear something from the North. I grew up close enough to Canada to get the CBC all the time (and I'll date myself by saying one of my favorite kid shows was "The Friendly Giant").

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker

That is my high school friends grandfather.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 01:14 PM

Heh. Awesome. Small country, this Canada.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 6, 2006, 01:35 PM

That is my high school friends grandfather.
Extra cool! I never thought I'd see those faces again! Thanks, Eug!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2006, 01:48 PM

hey now.... Canada is cool (no pun intended)

I visited Vancouver, BC and yeah, i noticed some slight differences in their accents compared to someone from, say, Southern California. But i say that it really isn't a big deal, imho.

Just so long as they don't talk like William Shatner, then everything's ok...

"My chair.............. it's......... a-GOT A MIND............of-it's-own........"
"The-ship-is.. drafty..........and........ damp....... I-complain, but.............. nobody listens...."

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 01:48 PM

I remember watching that show, as well as Mr. Dress up. dang those were bad... haha...

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
Just so long as they don't talk like William Shatner, then everything's ok...

"My chair.............. it's......... a-GOT A MIND............of-it's-own........"
"The-ship-is.. drafty..........and........ damp....... I-complain, but.............. nobody listens...."

Well he is French Canadian so that's a whole other ballpark.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 02:16 PM

Well he is French Canadian so that's a whole other ballpark.
No he isn't. He's from Montreal, but he's anglophone Jewish.

I'm just glad that Celine Dion has been exiled to Las Vegas.

zmcgill
Jun 6, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
Family guy's jokes about that were always hilarious.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 02:37 PM

Southern guys like me really have little right to make fun of Canadian accents.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 02:46 PM

No he isn't. He's from Montreal, but he's anglophone Jewish.

I'm just glad that Celine Dion has been exiled to Las Vegas.
Doesn't montreal count as French Canadian?

How long did he live there?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Southern guys like me really have little right to make fun of Canadian accents.

P.S. Here's a stupid little story...

Eug: I'd like to order the chicken sub.
Georgian: wh....?
Eug: Huh?
Georgian: wh....?
Eug: Sorry, say again?
Georgian: wh.... bread?
Eug: Did you say wheat bread?
Georgian: Yeah! Wheat bread!
Eug: Uh ok.

In Canada, it's called brown bread. I hadn't heard the term "wheat bread" before and thus I didn't understand it thru the accent and the mumble. Felt like an idiot though.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2006, 02:54 PM

I've got one for you Eug. I know a guy from Kingston that drives tractor-trailer hauling aluminum between Alcan plants. He stopped in Georgia to buy a soda, and the total was $1.01. He gave the old lady at the counter an American dollar, and not wanting to break another for a penny, gave her the only one he had in his pocket, which was a Canadian penny. The old woman pushed back across the counter and said "Son, we don't take no foreign currency in these parts".
Nemo me impune lacesset

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 02:56 PM

In Canada, it's called brown bread. I hadn't heard the term "wheat bread" before and thus I didn't understand it thru the accent and the mumble. Felt like an idiot though.
Every sub shop I have ever been in here usually calls it Whole Wheat Bread.

Anywho, here is what I experience is the US.

1) The BBQ sauce at MacDonalds tastes smoked and is darker. (in canada it has no hickory smoke taste, is lighter in colour and sweeter.
2) If you order an ice tea somewhere they don't put sugar in it so it tastes funny. You have to ask specifically for "sweetened Ice tea".
3) Sometimes when I tell an American I am from Toronto,On they ask me if I know person XXX. Yes it has happened more than once.
4) Postal codes and Provinces totally confuse them. I was ordering something and the guy wouldn't accept my postal code and kept telling me exactly what a zip code should be and that it shouldn't have letters in it. Geez.
5) Americans think ALL of our police our mounties on horses. I see a mountie maybe once every couple years and it is always downtown in the tourist area to give people something to photograph.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 03:01 PM

BTW, we had an Irish guy visiting a while back, and you should seen the look on his face when we started talking about "fanny packs".

Every sub shop I have ever been in here usually calls it Whole Wheat Bread.
Yeah, that too. I just hadn't heard "Wheat bread" before, without the "Whole" in front of it. It was enough to throw me off.

Anywho, here is what I experience is the US.

1) The BBQ sauce at MacDonalds tastes smoked and is darker. (in canada it has no hickory smoke taste, is lighter in colour and sweeter.
2) If you order an ice tea somewhere they don't put sugar in it so it tastes funny. You have to ask specifically for "sweetened Ice tea".
I prefer the US version of iced tea.

5) Americans think ALL of our police our mounties on horses. I see a mountie maybe once every couple years and it is always downtown in the tourist area to give people something to photograph.
Yeah, and the police in blue have horses too downtown. I hate it, because sometimes there's horsecrap all over the place near the tourist areas.

If the general public has to pick up after their dogs, the police and RCMP should have to pick up after horses.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 03:04 PM

Of course Montréal is French, especially most anglos left the province when they knew, they would need to learn French and deal with French signage.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 03:05 PM

Nobody should talk about fanny packs.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Of course Montréal is French, especially most anglos left the province when they knew, they would need to learn French and deal with French signage.
I took a French immersion course one summer, at Université de Montréal. That was a big mistake. NOBODY would speak French with me downtown (where I was staying). Regardless if they were French or English, anyone who heard me say a few sentences in French immediately switched the conversation to English. I guess store owners and waitresses and what not felt it was too painful to wait for me to struggle through my broken French.

My friends who went to places like Jonquière and stayed with local families learned way more than I did.

hey!_Zeus
Banned
Jun 6, 2006, 03:19 PM

If this thread had been about Mexicans, Railroader would call you all racists and cry to the mods and beg to have you all banned.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 03:20 PM

Doesn't montreal count as French Canadian?

How long did he live there?
I'd say you could live your whole life in Montreal and not be a French Canadian as long as French isn't your primary language. One does not need to have French as their primary language in order to live in Montreal. Many of the major businesses and corporate head offices in Montreal use english over french.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 03:38 PM

Yeah. Most anglos I know from Montreal speak French, but English is still their first language. For some government jobs you have to have French fluency, but I know people who grew up there who failed those French tests several times.

Montreal is a very English city in some ways, and there are entire suburbs where you'll rarely hear French at all. I lived in Montreal for 6 years and my French still sucks.

The signs are in French usually, but it's not very hard to read most traffic signs. Hell, I could even read most traffic signs in Italian when I visited Italy, and I've never studied Italian in my life.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 6, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by hey!_Zeus
If this thread had been about Mexicans, Railroader would call you all racists and cry to the mods and beg to have you all banned.
Actually, there have been quite a few comments about Mexicans I have let past in other threads. It all is a matter of context. If you'll notice this is a thread made in a humorous manner and has everyone comparing cultural differences is a light hearted manner. No one has been mean spirited.

As for certain other people who evade bans... I have no tolerance for that kind of person.

EDIT: nice to see I still have my obsessive compulsive fan base.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 03:45 PM

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by hey!_Zeus
It's true if we had all been making fun of how small penis' Mexicans typically have

eltrut
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 03:58 PM

It's true if we had all been making fun of how small penis' Mexicans typically have
Since Mr. Railroader is not a typical Mexican, is his bigger or smaller than average ?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 04:00 PM

Isn't most bread a shade of brown?

I've never heard it called "brown bread." Then again, the only place in Canada I've been was Toronto (awesome city, by the way). I'm dying to go to Vancouver.

Examples from the Southern U.S.

- We call all soft drinks "coke" when referring to carbonated drinks in general. We only get specific when making an order.
- "You guys" will get you funny looks (I'm the only guy in Bossier City who seems to say it). You'd better learn to incorporate "y'all" into your vernacular. Of course, everyone knows this one.
- Mullets are still in style. If you don't like it, go back to the coast.
- Large Baptist/Methodist/Church of God/Church of Christ/Assembly of God churches every .5 miles. They're more common than Starbucks in New York.

These probably aren't the best examples, but they're all I came up with on short notice. I love the South.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 6, 2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by eltrut
Since Mr. Railroader is not a typical Mexican, is his bigger or smaller than average ?
The only person who cares is very happy.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 6, 2006, 04:03 PM

Is that a stereo type?

I can honestly say I have only seen one Mexican's penis and he was only half Mexican.

eltrut
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Is that a stereo type?

I can honestly say I have only seen one Mexican's penis and he was only half Mexican.
Seriously, just post a pic, and Socially Awkward Solo will let you know how it compares

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
- Mullets are still in style. If you don't like it, go back to the coast.
Actually if you live in the city and you dress non-hick mullets are cool.

I have traces of a mullet/rat-tail now.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 04:16 PM

Seriously, just post a pic, and Socially Awkward Solo will let you know how it compares
I'll pass on that one. I have no personal experience in the matter but it is a common stereotype.

Yesterday I was talking to someone and he looked mexican so i ask him if he was. His answer: "No, I shower every day".

Railroader
Banned
Jun 6, 2006, 04:22 PM

No.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 6, 2006, 04:22 PM

I'll pass on that one. I have no personal experience in the matter but it is a common stereotype.

Yesterday I was talking to someone and he looked mexican so i ask him if he was. His answer: "No, I shower every day".
What does showering have to do with penis size?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 04:23 PM

Actually if you live in the city and you dress non-hick mullets are cool.

I have traces of a mullet/rat-tail now.
*points and laughs*
Ha, ha! Mullet!

The guys in my youth group are always picturing messenging mullet sightings to my phone. One of them had a big nasty mullet when he was 7, so we put that in a slideshow that we had at a graduation reception. They're all obsessed.

*dons his racism-retardant suit for the onslaught that is to come"

MacManMikeOSX  (op)
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 04:38 PM

This is what the Canadians want, you fools! They want us to focus on the Mexicanos to the south. Our real problems come not from these banditos and fruit pickers, but from the frozen tundra to the north we know as "Canada." They're watching and they're ready to steal everything we hold dear!

Where there's a maple leaf there's an able theif!

eltrut
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 06:19 PM

Where there's a maple leaf there's an able theif!
LOL, they already stole your spelling ability

MacManMikeOSX  (op)
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 06:58 PM

LOL, they already stole your spelling ability
You see they are clever, arent they? Must have done it while I was still a child, realizing I would be the one to uncover their dastardly plot. STOP THE FILTHY HALF FRENCH SNOW DOGS!

zmcgill
Jun 6, 2006, 07:13 PM

You see they are clever, arent they? Must have done it while I was still a child, realizing I would be the one to uncover their dastardly plot. STOP THE FILTHY HALF FRENCH SNOW DOGS!
Your childish antics are beginning to get old. See you on page 7.

MacManMikeOSX  (op)
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 09:23 PM

Your childish antics are beginning to get old. See you on page 7.
Yeah but I prefer them to everybody's hotheadedness around here, belive it or not maccnn forums were not always a place for political flame wars, we flamed over normal things like software and if or if marklar existed. MacNN needs to take a chill and some of ya'll ought to pull your heads out your arses.

zmcgill
Jun 6, 2006, 09:43 PM

Yeah but I prefer them to everybody's hotheadedness around here, belive it or not maccnn forums were not always a place for political flame wars, we flamed over normal things like software and if or if marklar existed. MacNN needs to take a chill and some of ya'll ought to pull your heads out your arses.
Gosh golly gee willikers!

MacManMikeOSX  (op)
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 09:46 PM

Gosh golly gee willikers!
Well atleast you have a sense of humor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules