Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > opening iChat 3 files

opening iChat 3 files
Ice33
Jun 27, 2006, 09:45 PM

I downgraded computers for the time being until the new Powermac (MacPro?) is released and I sold my G5. I backed up all my files including the transcripts of my iChat 3 conversations which contain various info i need.

The G5 was running tiger and the computer i am using now is an older G4 that is only running X.3 and as such only supports iChat 2. The problem is that all the transcripts of the iChat 3 conversations are not able to be opened on iChat 2 for some reason. Word and BBedit open the files but due to how iChat 3 tags them they are gibberish with the occasional sentence scattered about.

Is there any program that will at least separate the documents into the two sides of the conversation or preserve some of the formatting until I upgrade again to a new Mac running X.4? I don't feel like buying Tiger just for this.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2006, 09:22 AM

Dammit.. Double postage.
( Last edited by Grrr; Jun 28, 2006 at 09:36 AM. )
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2006, 09:29 AM

If the worst comes to the worst, you can drop the file onto TextEdit (It will open almost anything). However there will be a fair bit of gobbledegook code strewn about. But you'll see the text you want amongst it all none the less. But it sounds like you tried this already, more or less..
If there were any picts in the file, i'll doubt you'll see them without the correct version of iChat.
I doubt there is much you can do about it, until you have 10.4+ again..
( Last edited by Grrr; Jun 28, 2006 at 09:43 AM. )
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules