Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Graphic Cards with TV Out?

Graphic Cards with TV Out?
IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jul 4, 2006, 10:20 PM

I'm looking for a graphics card that has a TV out, preferably RCA style but I think I can deal with and S-Video connecter if need be. Is there such a beast, or even a cable that would go from VGA to RCA?

Thanks!!
- Eric

newtech
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2006, 11:24 PM

Apple sells a DVI-I -> S-vid/composite adapter

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ore=M9267G%2FA

IFLY2HIGH  (op)
Senior User
Jul 5, 2006, 09:40 AM

Thta's a cool little cable. I did forget to mention that this is for my Quicksilver G4 system and that cable says: "Important: Requires MacBook Pro, Mac mini or Power Mac G5 with DVI port.". Wonder why only the new systems.
- Eric

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2006, 10:33 AM

I think that it will work if you have a DVI port, but I'm not totally sure. I've used that cable for a presentation on a TV with a 15 inch PowerBook and it worked great.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2006, 02:28 PM

It will not. Apple's warning is there for a reason!

The cable is NOT converting a DVI or VGA signal to video. It's simply a plug adapter that signals the graphics card to output NTSC or PAL video signals instead of DVI signals. The graphics card does the work, and that's why it only works with more recent machines whose graphics cards do it.

In any case, the two options are either to get an ATI card for an AGP slot, or to get a VGA scan converter to output to composite video.

tooki

newtech
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2006, 07:56 PM

Depends on the DVI Port. It works with DVI-I ( analog and digital ) or DVI-A ( analog ) but not DVI-D (digital only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2006, 10:24 PM

No, it doesn't depend on that at all.

The DVI standard does NOT include NTSC, PAL, or SECAM video.

The analog signals available in DVI-I are pure VGA, that's it. (DVI-A is not an official standard.)

The plug adapters rely on the nonstandard capability of a graphics card to send PAL or NTSC signals through the DVI connector when a special plug adapter tells it to.

tooki

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2006, 02:17 PM

What about picking up an old radeon 7000 pci card. I have one and it works fine for my uses.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Ice33
Dec 11, 2006, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
In any case, the two options are either to get an ATI card for an AGP slot, or to get a VGA scan converter to output to composite video.

tooki
bump

So how recent an ATI card would one need to use that DVI to video adapter?
Is there a list somewhere which points to which cards would accomplish the task to get video sent out to a RCA video cable so a TV can use it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules