Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bad week for Obama...

Bad week for Obama...
stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 04:36 PM

His Commerce Secretary (said to be a reasonable man by members of both parties) nominee balks at the crazy things Obama plans (using the Census for political gain, for instance) and says "thanks but no thanks".

He continues to break strings of campaign promises about bipartisanship, not rushing bills through congress without having at least 48 hours (actually, I think he said 5 days) to digest the bills, not putting together legislation behind closed doors without input from both parties (in fact, they even made the electronic version of the bill non-searchable by going to the extra trouble of making each page an image instead of embedded text just to keep people from getting all the facts before the vote) while special interest lobbyists got the legislation almost half a day before members of Congress!

The house just voted on the bill and it didn't get a single Republican and even lost 7 Democrats. The Senate bill at best might get the 3 Rinos (including the insane Arlen "Magic Bullet" Specter) who love to bend over and take it in the butt along with the rest of the electorate.

Economists say that the stimulus bill won't do much stimulating, and therefore it's just extra spending (benefitting Dem. special interest groups) tacked onto our already immense debt.

...and that's all right off the top of my head.

Bad week for Obama. 2010 looks like it might be another 1994 at this rate. Can't say I didn't "tell you so". Even his most ardent supporters should be disappointed.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 04:43 PM

45/47

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2009, 08:36 PM

Yep, I'm so disappointed I wish we had Shrub and Cheney back in charge----NOT!!!

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Goodman View Post
Yep, I'm so disappointed I wish we had Shrub and Cheney back in charge----NOT!!!
You mean the two guys who got bipartisan stimulus packages through Congress, that wasn't mostly pork, and didn't have to play tricks in order to get it passed?

Oh yeah...those guys. They may not have been the best, but the new guys are making them look better every day!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Goodman View Post
At least they would not have been such a let down.

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 02:08 AM

Shouldn't this have just gone in your other thread?

Maybe stick to creating new threads only when you have something new to talk about? k thx.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Shouldn't this have just gone in your other thread?

Maybe stick to creating new threads only when you have something new to talk about? k thx.
My other thread was regarding one specific area in which Obama had broken one of his campaign promises. I realize it often got "off topic", but that's the way things go sometimes.

That topic (bipartisanship) doesn't cover Obama's running his Commerce Secretary candidate away from office due to his screwy (and potentially unconsitutional) ideas nor was it really a thread meant really to outline his insane "stimulus" package (other than pointing out that it was a partisan creation) and other overall "misses" this week.

This thread was pointing out that in addition to the bad stuff in the other thread, Obama is generally shaping his "First 100 Days" into a major embarrassing debacle due to his refusal to keep the promises he made during his campaign (which includes his not engaging in bipartisanship, which was the subject of the other thread).

I realize it's probably pretty hard for someone who supported Obama to see all the missteps he's making, and it might seem easier to just have it all stored away in one easy to ignore place, but I think that living in that kind of denial doesn't help anyone.

Obama has time to recover and actually do what he promised if he would have some miraculous change of heart, but since it appears that most of the stuff he said during the campaign where just lies to get into office, I don't have much hope for this tiger to change it's stripes. It can happen, I just don't see any reason to believe it will.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 10:29 AM

Obama Administration nomenclature
  • transparency = Closed doors and obfuscation
  • no earmarks and pork = $790 billion in earmarks and pork
  • pay as you go = unprecedented spending without a funding mechanism
  • bipartisanship = indicting Republicans for petty partisan politics
ebuddy

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
My other thread was regarding one specific area in which Obama had broken one of his campaign promises. I realize it often got "off topic", but that's the way things go sometimes.

That topic (bipartisanship) doesn't cover Obama's running his Commerce Secretary candidate away from office due to his screwy (and potentially unconsitutional) ideas nor was it really a thread meant really to outline his insane "stimulus" package (other than pointing out that it was a partisan creation) and other overall "misses" this week.

This thread was pointing out that in addition to the bad stuff in the other thread, Obama is generally shaping his "First 100 Days" into a major embarrassing debacle due to his refusal to keep the promises he made during his campaign (which includes his not engaging in bipartisanship, which was the subject of the other thread).

I realize it's probably pretty hard for someone who supported Obama to see all the missteps he's making, and it might seem easier to just have it all stored away in one easy to ignore place, but I think that living in that kind of denial doesn't help anyone.

Obama has time to recover and actually do what he promised if he would have some miraculous change of heart, but since it appears that most of the stuff he said during the campaign where just lies to get into office, I don't have much hope for this tiger to change it's stripes. It can happen, I just don't see any reason to believe it will.
So should we expect your weekly analysis of the Obama administration every Friday? Can't wait....

My annoyance is not that I supported Obama, it's that there is nothing to talk about in these threads. Get a blog.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 11:04 AM

So should we expect your weekly analysis of the Obama administration every Friday? Can't wait....

My annoyance is not that I supported Obama, it's that there is nothing to talk about in these threads. Get a blog.
How was it then that Bush provided 8 years of endless banter in these forums? There's plenty to talk about if you're not concerned with trying to defend the indefensible.
ebuddy

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Obama Administration nomenclature
  • transparency = Closed doors and obfuscation
  • no earmarks and pork = $790 billion in earmarks and pork
  • pay as you go = unprecedented spending without a funding mechanism
  • bipartisanship = indicting Republicans for petty partisan politics
Pfff, everyone knew he was just saying what people wanted to hear.

But since they like to be lied to, they probably buy all the propaganda about the Failulus as well...

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
How was it then that Bush provided 8 years of endless banter in these forums? There's plenty to talk about if you're not concerned with trying to defend the indefensible.
I'm not going to go back and defend 8 years of posting. I can only say that the way that stupendousman frames his issues (and his continuing unwillingness to accept new information) makes any discussion with him impossible. Other posters are more reasonable.

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 01:25 PM

My post wasn't supposed to be a "weekly analysis" but rather pointing out that this would be seen as a relatively bad week for any politician in his shoes and worthy of special mention due to the enormity of things that has served to make Obama look real bad in the past 7 or so days.

If this week is a preview of what is in store for us in the coming months and years, at some point I think that you no longer can post "he's having a bad week" threads when it's clear he's having a "bad Presidency". Whether or not that happens really isn't up to me, that's up to Barrack.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2009, 02:05 PM

I have to disagree, Mr. Stupendous. President Obama got his stimulus bill approved, with the help of some Republicans! Thanks to all who were involved, the country will continue to turn from the failed policies of that last nut, W., and towards the more democratic ideals that our center left country voted for. Hooray for President Obama!!!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 02:08 PM

As always, Mike is failing stumbling.

-t

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2009, 02:10 PM

Stop attacking me!!!!

kido331
Feb 14, 2009, 02:15 PM

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2009, 02:21 PM

After viewing the graph, it appears the elephants have done a HORRIBLE job...Thank goodnesss for President Obama, SOMEONE has to do SOMETHING to fix this awful mess the Republicans have left us with (as usual).

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
After viewing the graph, it appears the elephants have done a HORRIBLE job...Thank goodnesss for President Obama, SOMEONE has to do SOMETHING to fix this awful mess the Republicans have left us with (as usual).
... by using the same ideals of rampant government spending and lacking exit strategies that defined the failures of the prior Administration.

Wait a minute...
ebuddy

Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2009, 03:04 PM

It's been a week. Seriously?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 03:30 PM

You mean the two guys who got bipartisan stimulus packages through Congress, that wasn't mostly pork, and didn't have to play tricks in order to get it passed?
You mean the stimulus package that was used to pay bonuses for executives at failing banks? It may not have had much pork in the traditional sense, but paying for executive bonuses certainly seems like pork to me.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
You mean the stimulus package that was used to pay bonuses for executives at failing banks? It may not have had much pork in the traditional sense, but paying for executive bonuses certainly seems like pork to me.
Does ACORN getting money count as pork?
CNN just ran a report on how, once out the door ,(BO's stimulus package) there is no control/accountability as to how the monies are spent. Lets see how congress (the same leaders in charge when the last package was passed) keep track of the monies.
45/47

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
CNN just ran a report on how, once out the door ,(BO's stimulus package) there is no control/accountability as to how the monies are spent. Lets see how congress (the same leaders in charge when the last package was passed) keep track of the monies.
Bingo!
ebuddy

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 06:03 PM

Definitely a failed presidency.

Also, this just in! Politician breaks some of the million promises he made to get elected, sports at 11.

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 07:40 PM

I have to disagree, Mr. Stupendous. President Obama got his stimulus bill approved, with the help of some Republicans!
All three of them! He lost 7 Democrats though. That makes him -4 on a bill that just about every economist I've heard from says will do absolutely nothing Obama claims it will. Just add some more lie logs on the fire, Barry. Is it not warm enough yet?

Thanks to all who were involved, the country will continue to turn from the failed policies of that last nut, W., and towards the more democratic ideals that our center left country voted for. Hooray for President Obama!!!
It's funny. The last two major economic downturns (now and during the late Seventies) happened when the Democrats had control of the purse-strings. In between Republicans had control and while in office they had a tiny recession you hardly noticed and actually had a balanced budget at one point. Oh, for those days to return!

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Definitely a failed presidency.

Also, this just in! Politician breaks some of the million promises he made to get elected, sports at 11.
...in the first couple of weeks in office, on things his campaign pretty much used as it's major theme. Yah, happens all the time. Sure.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I'm certain it does. I was responding to the claim that Bush's failulus package contained no pork.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 07:55 PM

...in the first couple of weeks in office, on things his campaign pretty much used as it's major theme. Yah, happens all the time. Sure.
And McCain would've tracked Osama to the gates of hell, that's for sure.

What does it feel like to be a frothing-at-the-mouth Democrat basher? Does it make you feel superior to the Democrats who did the same thing to Bush?

God, this sh!t is so ridiculous. We get it, you HATE Obama, get a friggin' blog already.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by kido331 View Post
So the first stimulus passed by Bush does nto count in 2008?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Ouch.
They're probably counting that as Obama's since it's obvious that his policies were responsible for the recession.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2009, 09:34 PM

It went from 700mill to 850mill(?) that extra hundred mill was the trick to get it to pass.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Pfff, everyone knew he was just saying what people wanted to hear.

But since they like to be lied to, they probably buy all the propaganda about the Failulus as well...

-t
You're trying to distort the truth. Liar!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 09:49 PM

I think what this thread needs is a tax cut!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Exactly. That's the f****ing sad part.

Bush's Failulus was useless, and wasn't even half the amount.

A year later, Obama ups the stupid f****ing ante and passes a Failulus TWICE the size. So retarded.

See, this is what gets me worried. Obama is not only going to repeat every single mistake that Bush has made, he will make it twice as big. Really awesome. Welcome the change.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 10:18 PM

Just goes to show, there is change in Washington... it's all that's left after the interest paid to the Chinese.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Just goes to show, there is change in Washington... it's all that's left after the interest paid to the Chinese.
Government debt service will hit 10% of all government spending in 2011.

10%

It was at 5.6% in 2007, so what Obama and Geithner have just "hammered out" will effectively double the US debt burden and interest payments.

F****ing awesome.

-t

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2009, 10:51 PM

The giant mess left by W has to be cleared! What don't you understand?

Rumor
Feb 14, 2009, 10:54 PM

If you could elaborate a bit more, then perhaps it would spur discussion. Until then, I doubt anyone will pay you much heed.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2009, 10:58 PM

It is difficult to understand, yes? I note you both have insanity defenses built into your handles, I can't possibly reason with either of you...you know, my being sane and all..

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 10:59 PM

by making a mistake twice as large? Do tell.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2009, 11:02 PM

Mr W inherited a surplus, he left a gazillion dollar debt. Drastic times require drastic measures. Simple enough?

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
And McCain would've tracked Osama to the gates of hell, that's for sure.
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have announced he was giving up looking after a week in office. That's pretty much what he'd have to do in order to achieve Obamian levels of campaign mendacity.

What does it feel like to be a frothing-at-the-mouth Democrat basher? Does it make you feel superior to the Democrats who did the same thing to Bush?
No. I'm not bashing Democrats in general. There are some decent ones. At least 7 that I can count for sure. I think if you stop and wipe the froth from your own mouth and relax, you'll feel a whole lot better.

God, this sh!t is so ridiculous. We get it, you HATE Obama, get a friggin' blog already.
I don't hate Obama. I don't even dislike him. I do distrust him, don't think he's honest and believe he's unqualified for the job he currently holds. Having those opinions don't require me to make it personal and hate him. Sorry if that's hard for you to understand. With the past 8 years of irrational hatred for Bush, I can understand though how you could be confused when people use their brains instead of their emotions. If you don't like it don't rant, get a friggin' blog already.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 11:07 PM

Mr W inherited a surplus, he left a gazillion dollar debt. Drastic times require drastic measures. Simple enough?
Ok, whose joke account is this?
- Thomas Paine

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2009, 11:14 PM

Ignoring the obvious will NOT help us (the American people), Mr Shaddim. We must face the fact that W, not a fiscal type, spent us into near oblivion. With a Republican Congress and Senate rubberstamping all of it. Time to get a "tax and spend" Democrat back in, at LEAST things will be paid for...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 11:21 PM

Wow, what a retarded response. Do you even understand how Obama is making the same mistake, just many times BIGGER ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Ok, whose joke account is this?
Abe ?

-t

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2009, 11:22 PM

Stop attacking me!!!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 11:24 PM

Stop attacking me!!!

It's Abe.

-t

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2009, 11:28 PM

If Abe is someone who is intelligent and capable of dealing with simpletons graciously, than yes, I am Abe. You have discovered my secret identity. Good work. Now back to the asylum, it's bedtime.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2009, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Abe ?

-t
Yup, appears so.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules