Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New imacs might get color :O

New imacs might get color :O
imacflowerpowerCRT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2012, 03:30 AM

If not, what is taking the iMac so long to refresh? As for me, Im assuming that color will finally come.to the iMacs (again ) So what is your assuming?
Long Live Flower Power iMacs!

P
Jun 12, 2012, 03:42 AM

I'm assuming that the update is too small to warrant a mention at the keynote, possibly in combination with supply issues of the GPU if the rumors are right and Apple goes to nVidia across the line. nVidia has had problems getting enough chips off the latest process from its foundry partner TSMC, which means that they have trouble supplying the updated chips to Apple just yet.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I'm assuming that the update is too small to warrant a mention at the keynote...
They need to mention nothing. Look how they managed the Mac Pro case: silent update. The same could be done for the iMac.

The last update was 406 days ago, beating any previous record in the iMac history. This could be justified if there were not reasonable options for the internal components, but this is clearly not the case. It is just Apple behaving strangely, from my point of view of course; or they really lost interest in desktops due to their growing i-device business.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2012, 09:02 AM

I bet imacflowerpowerCRT loves the tie-dye logo.

P
Jun 12, 2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
This could be justified if there were not reasonable options for the internal components, but this is clearly not the case.
Actually I think that that is the case - the lack of GPUs and wanting to focus on the MBP line with what chips they can get. Just dropping in Ivy Bridge makes no sense - the only gain on the desktop side is a 100 MHz clockspeed boost.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2012, 03:31 PM

Ivy bridge provides other speed enhancements. But yeah on the marketing side 100Mhz is a hard sell.

P
Jun 15, 2012, 03:51 PM

I think I saw a number that IVB increases the IPC by about 4%. It improves HT a bit by dynamically allocating resources, it makes some improvements to the prefetcher, it fiddles with a few details in the core and it supports faster main RAM. It also improves energy efficiency, obviously, but that's not so important in a desktop. No, I think the gain from IVB in the iMac will be limited to running slightly cooler

Forum Links
Forum Rules