Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition

Startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition
erankin42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2008, 04:14 PM

Hi all. New to Macs so sorry if I miss something obvious.

Anyway, I bought a Mac Mini w/ 80 GB hard drive and 1GB of memory. I had created a boot camp partition but reverted back to a single partition (using the Boot Camp Assistant) due to the limited amount of disk space I had available.

I just upgraded my HD and now when I run Boot Camp Assistant to create a partition I get the the message:
"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk an try using BOot Camp Assistant again."

The new drive is a single partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume, at least according to "Get Info" on the drive.

Here's how I upgraded:
1) Put new 250 GB hard drive in an external enclosure
2) Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone internal drive to 250 GB drive
3) Swapped drive from the enclosure with the one in the Mini

OS boots fine and everything seems OK, but Boot Camp isn't playing nice.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do short of backing up, formatting and restoring.

Thanks,
- Eric

Cold Warrior
Aug 9, 2008, 04:36 PM

boot from your Leopard (or system restore) DVD and run Disk Utility's repair disk option.

erankin42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2008, 11:09 PM

I ended up having to reformat the disk. After formatting, I cloned again using Carbon Copy Cloner and Boot Camp is now creating the partition.

I'm going to start a new thread with my new problem since it is probably unrelated to the partition.

Thanks.

patrix
Aug 10, 2008, 04:54 AM

the way I fixed this last time it happened was to get a Defragmentation tool and defragment the hard drive. You might have had some files stuck near the end of your disk that prevented Bootcamp from partitioning properly... Defragmenting worked for me.

Patrix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules