Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What should I get for excellent snow/ice tires?

View Poll Results: Which of these tires do you think is the best for snow/ice driving
Poll Options:
Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1 0 votes (0%)
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 4 votes (33.33%)
Dunlop Graspic DS-2 0 votes (0%)
Michelin X-Ice 3 votes (25.00%)
Other (Please specify in a post) 5 votes (41.67%)
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll
What should I get for excellent snow/ice tires?
mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:52 PM

Well it's not even November yet, and we're already had a snow storm here in central-west NH. As I am driving a new '06 Saturn Ion Sedan, knowing my commute, I want excellent snow tires.

As I'm moving back to live with my grandmother to help her through the winter, I'm going to have a 40 mile, roundtrip commute each day to/from work. 95% of the route will be on I-89, which has many steep grades and sharp turns (Usually both combined!).

I don't want a repeat of what happend two years ago when I was staying with my grandmother, and driving the exact same route to work, as-where I was going to work, and my back tires lost traction going down a hill/round a turn and I did a few 360s before ending up in the snowbank facing the wrong direction, bending my front axle. (This turned out to be caused by my former mechanic not properly checking my tire tread, hence why he's my FORMER mechanic. However they were all season tires, but the back ones were worn below legal limits).

After doing some inital research I've selected a few that look promising, But I'd like to hear other opinions/options.
iGeek

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2005, 07:57 PM

Sorry, but ending up in the snowbank is a function of you driving faster than conditions allow. For you to blame your mechanic or your tires is just asking for it to happen again.

Are studded tires legal where you are?

mac-at-kearsarge  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
Sorry, but ending up in the snowbank is a function of you driving faster than conditions allow. For you to blame your mechanic or your tires is just asking for it to happen again.

As it was snowing heavily at the time I was doing 35 in a 65 at the time. I couldn't have gone any faster then that even if I wanted to because that was the speed all the cars around me were going.

I have photos of the tires that I used when I filed a claim again the mechanic along with my copy of the inspection form where he signed off on them being OK. You can see from the pics, the tread was very low. It was my concern of them that caused me to take it to the machanic to be checked in the first place.

But anyhoo, yes studded tires are allowed in my area.
iGeek

alcool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 09:40 PM

Toyo Garit HT's. I've had them for 2 full winters in Toronto, and they are champs all around. Highly recommended.

nerd
Senior User
Oct 25, 2005, 09:41 PM

I just got some of the WS-50s for my Mini after reading some of the tests over at TireRack. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, no snow here yet.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 11:15 PM

Nokian Hakkapeliittas. As far as I know they are the best snow tire around.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2005, 12:10 AM

i just got blizzax for my outback and they are great.
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 26, 2005, 12:19 AM

Snow tires are snow tires. Some might be better than others, others might compromise snow grip for treadwear, dry pavement performance, etc. Who knows. Buy whatever is cheapest, because ANY snow tire is way way way better than a normal tire. I suggest these:

http://www.vulcantire.com/winter_s.htm

Cheap. Worked good. What else do you want from a winter tire?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 10:57 AM

It's always a good idea to have a pair of chains handy.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

SVass
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 11:17 AM

I've always installed studded tires for the winter and stayed home during snowstorms. Of course the Seattle suburbs have real hills and even a few mountain passes. My job was never more important than I am. sam

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 11:35 AM

tirerack.com has good reviews about different snow tires (and usually good prices)

I put Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on during the fall months, and they work great when the snow hits.

The right snow tire (like was said above) depends on how you're gonna be driving and how much snow you expect to get. And, as was mentioned, it doesn't matter how good the snow tires are if you are driving inappropriate speeds in poor conditions. (Not saying that's what happened to you.)

Studded winter tires seems like overkill, but then again I'm in an area that doesn't get a ton of snow for extended periods of time. NH may be different.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 01:06 PM

i don't change tires; i drive smarter. never had a problem (front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, cars, trucks, etc). *knock on fake wood desk*

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 26, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
i don't change tires; i drive smarter. never had a problem (front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, cars, trucks, etc). *knock on fake wood desk*
Me neither. But that doesn't work in all areas. The UP for instance, with their AVERAGE 390 inches of snowfall per year.

memento
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 01:10 PM

As Fyre4ce noted - Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4 if you're allowed studs in NH, otherwise the Hakkapeliitta without studs. People where I work use these because they don't have the option of staying home if it snows.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/wintertyres_en
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fyre4ce
Nokian Hakkapeliittas. As far as I know they are the best snow tire around.

Yep. This is what I have on my Volvo... the car I'll be driving through northern WI and the U.P. a couple of times this winter, with my child, wife and dog in the car. I felt very comfortable with these on during a snowy drive down Hwy 2 last winter.

My winter sets will have to go on both my cars soon.....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
Me neither. But that doesn't work in all areas. The UP for instance, with their AVERAGE 390 inches of snowfall per year.

i know, i camp up there in the winter months (i only camp october thru may; no kids, no bugs, no assholes). so far, no problems.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 26, 2005, 08:23 PM

Well... here's how I see it. ANY snow tires is going to be way better than a normal tire. There might be a slight difference betweent them, but it's probably going to be negligable. Considering they only last 2 seasons max, buy the cheapest snow tires you can afford.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2005, 10:57 PM

chains, problem solved, and they usually last many many years

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2005, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab

Thats not true at all, one tire being below pressure alone can cause traction problems at speeds and road conditions you normally wont have problems with.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2005, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
Snow tires are snow tires. Some might be better than others, others might compromise snow grip for treadwear, dry pavement performance, etc. Who knows. Buy whatever is cheapest, because ANY snow tire is way way way better than a normal tire. I suggest these:

http://www.vulcantire.com/winter_s.htm

Cheap. Worked good. What else do you want from a winter tire?
and get Winter Rims too, even if you dont have nice rims its easier to to have 2 sets of rims then having the tires put on your cars rims twice a year.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 27, 2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
Thats not true at all, one tire being below pressure alone can cause traction problems at speeds and road conditions you normally wont have problems with.
Actually lower PSI is better in the snow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules