Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Easiest .mov to DVD method?

Easiest .mov to DVD method?
C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 09:47 AM

I work at an advertising agency, where it's common to have directors/producers/other video guys send us draft versions of TV commercials as quicktime files.

It's not uncommon that I get an Account Exec in my office requesting "I need this spot burned to a DVD for the client to see". I've done this with MPEG2 Works recently, but it requires a few steps: Convert to mpeg2, Make Video_TS folder, Make Burnable .img, then burn .img.

Is there an easier, plug and play workflow that I could use? Perhaps one that I could give to my production staff, and they too could handle these requests?

A Magic iDVD doesn't fit the bill, as it always wants to inject a theme. Is Toast 7 a fit for this task? Something else that I could just drop in a .mov and get a burnable DVD as a result? No menus, bitrates, ect needed.

Thanks.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2006, 11:47 AM

Toast should be a simple option for you. I've used it to burn some dvd masters in the past and has worked well.
I gotta have more cowbell.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 04:55 PM

I use this all the time, it makes a VIDEO_TS folder, drag into Toast and burn. http://homepage.mac.com/major4/
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

C.J. Moof  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 05:35 PM

ffmpeg is looking like a decent choice..... it worked on the 2 most recent videos I had to convert.

It also looks like the universal binaries are close to done, which will also help the usefulness for me. It wasn't bad under rosetta, but it could be better.

C.J. Moof  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 09:59 AM

I'm going to append to that... I was able to drag and drop a those 2 movies, select DVD output, and get a burnable VIDEO_TS out of it, but for some reason I can't understand, my next test is putting out .m2v, .ac3 and .wav files from a test video, but no VIDEO_TS.

Options: Author as DVD (VIDEO_TS) is enabled..... not quite a foolproof plan.

Toast seems to just work, however.

DeeKat
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 10:11 AM

I'm a commercial director and my production house is always providing QT files AND DVD version of an edit. Just ask your director he/she should be able to get it. The agencie producers I work with always ask us for a DVD version for the client and a QuickTime for the creatives. A normal sized production house should have the video/tech guy to do this. [edit] you know at the price you pay us, that shouldn't be a problem

Cheers
deeKat

Forum Links
Forum Rules