Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Suggestions for a DC and Ocean City MD trip

Suggestions for a DC and Ocean City MD trip
MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 10, 2010, 12:16 PM

My hubby and are thinking of doing DC for 3ish days, and 5 days or so in Ocean City, MD.

I've been to DC before, figure we can hit most of the monuments in one day, halfish day each at the Smithsonian at the Air and Space Museum and Natural History, and pickup anything we missed with the rest of those days.

Never been to Ocean City, but excited for blue crabs! YUM!
Can anyone make suggestions on where to stay? (or where NOT to stay?) Things to see/do? We'd like to stay beachside in OC, but apparently there are several neighborhoods to choose from.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Mar 11, 2010, 12:45 PM

really?? nobody?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 12:59 PM

I'd suggest you don't go to Ocean City. It's a pit.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 01:01 PM

Ok, maybe I shouldn't just leave it there. There are some nice places on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake, St. Michaels comes to mind, but perhaps you are looking for a bit of the run-down, sleazy atmosphere of a low-rent beachside resort- if so, OC has it in spades.

Bring your Mini-Golf shoes!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 01:10 PM

Holocaust Museum. Must.

It feels like a punch to the stomach every twenty steps, but definitely an amazing place.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2010, 04:57 PM

I have to laugh because Paco is mostly right. I live a couple hours from OC and yet I haven't been there is years. It's purely a tourist destination, so not much you wouldn't find in other similar spots. But there are some great little towns in the area like St. MIchael's, Chincoteague, Berlin, or even Crisfield (my favorite). A friend of mine loves to go into this area to shoot photos of real things you don't find in tourist towns.

My advice is spend an hour or two in OC, but don't be afraid to visit some of the neighboring little towns.

crabsandbeer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2010, 05:41 PM

Some small towns to check out near OC:
Chestertown
St. Michaels
Oxford
Berlin
Salisbury (historic section)
Snow Hill
Lewes, DE
Rehoboth, DE

Some Natural areas:
Chincoteague
Assateague
Blackwater Refuge
Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

R.W.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2010, 09:17 AM

BTW, if you do go I have a restaurant suggestion. Shark on the Harbor used to be great, although I'll admit I haven't been back in quite some time. Upscale food in a relaxed atmosphere. If you go, let me know how it was. It might be worth me making a trip back just to eat there again this summer.

finboy
Mar 15, 2010, 05:13 PM

Patuxent River Naval Air Station has a nice little museum, it's near St. Mary's City which also has some historical stuff. Point Lookout is out that way, and they used to have some setups for the prison that was there during the Civil War.

These are all closer to DC -- plenty to do and see if you look.

The old Church (Dent Memorial Chapel) and White House at Charlotte Hall are beautiful. Nice world.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I'd suggest you don't go to Ocean City. It's a pit.
I will second this assessment. Go and camp on Assateague or Pocomoke River State Park inland from Assateague. There are a solid dozen cute little small towns around/outside Ocean City where you can stay and enjoy yourself while making day trips into Ocean City. The town of Berlin is quaint and ten years ago was the setting for a Julia Roberts movie. But don't stay right in Ocean City. Heck, this time of year you could stay in Salisbury and have plenty of stuff to do there in addition to the beach. (I would recommend the Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art. Very impressive displays!) Plus, just north of Ocean City in Delaware are a couple little cute non-touristy towns. If you really want to stay "on the beach" head about an hour South to Chincoteague. Lots of cool stuff to do there--There is a great old-timey, single-screen cinema there--along with a decent assortment of antique shops and touristy spots. Plus, the beach at Chincoteague will *never* be as crowded as it is at Ocean City.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 15, 2010, 05:51 PM

Another vote against Ocean City here. Unless there a specific reason you have to go there, like visiting someone that lives there, skip it and go for some of the other suggestions made (St. Michael's, Chincoteague, Berlin, Assateague). If Mr. Larry and yourself are looking to pick up sketchy, drunken sluts, than Ocean City is the place for you. If you two aren't college sophomores, than you can find more enjoyable places and still get all the blue crabs you'd like. Come to think of it, if you aren't too particular on what kind of crabs you get then maybe you should... never mind.
Nemo me impune lacesset

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Mar 16, 2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Come to think of it, if you aren't too particular on what kind of crabs you get then maybe you should... never mind.
Har Har...

Thanks all - maybe we'll look into some of those other towns.

Forum Links
Forum Rules