Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Shooting (?) at Discovery Channel HQ

Shooting (?) at Discovery Channel HQ
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 02:47 PM

I think it was nonhuman that worked for Discovery, though I don't know if he was at HQ. Either way hopefully whatever forum member I'm thinking in checks in later/is ok.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 03:20 PM

Hostage Situation at Discovery Channel Headquarters
Update: The hostage-taker has been identified as James Jay Lee, whose grievances with the Discovery Channel go back a few years. In 2008, he led a "lengthy" protest against the network's headquarters and was eventually arrested for disorderly conduct. You can check out his hilarious list of demands and grievances ("The humans? The planet does not need humans") from the 2008 protest here.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 04:21 PM

This guy is sounding like environmentalism's version of the Westboro Baptist Church.

MSNBC Link

At the time of his conviction in March 2008, Lee was identified as being from San Diego. Court records said he was arrested Feb. 21, 2008, on the sixth day of a protest at the Discovery building. Police were called when a crowd that had gathered began growing “unruly” as Lee threw thousands of dollars of cash into the air, some of it still in shrink-wrapped packages, police said at the time. (Lee was found not guilty of littering.)

Lee said he experienced an ‘‘awakening” when he watched former Vice President Al Gore’s environmental documentary ‘‘An Inconvenient Truth.”

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 04:26 PM

Yes, exactly.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 04:53 PM

Awe man. I was getting used to the idea that only conservatives were terrorists.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

-Q-
Sep 1, 2010, 05:33 PM

Sounds like all the hostages were rescued safely, even tho' his device went off after he was shot.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 1, 2010, 06:07 PM

What did it do?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 06:17 PM

I'm definitely glad all the hostages are safe. Sorry the guy was killed in the process.

In regards to Dakar's question: Link

Manger said the suspect had "metalic canisters" strapped to his chest and back. When Lee was struck by police bullets, one of the canisters "popped." Police have not confirmed if the canisters were a bomb, but Manger said the "device may have gone off" when he was shot.

andi*pandi
Sep 1, 2010, 06:21 PM

What a wackadoo. Glad no one else was hurt.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 1, 2010, 06:32 PM

Well, I do agree with the dude on people popping out babies for no reason. A lot of people I went to HS with have offspring; and almost 100% of said people are worthless wastes of skin. Seems like the 'intelligent' people haven't decided to pop babies out of their vaginas yet.

Rumor
Sep 1, 2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Well, I do agree with the dude on people popping out babies for no reason. A lot of people I went to HS with have offspring; and almost 100% of said people are worthless wastes of skin. Seems like the 'intelligent' people haven't decided to pop babies out of their vaginas yet.
Do you have to be so abrasive all the time?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 06:52 PM

I haven't even read a book about babies and I know that's wrong.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 1, 2010, 06:52 PM

??? Sorry, didn't think I was insulting anybody. Most people around here are fairly smart.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 07:48 PM

I do indeed work at Discovery, and I was indeed in the office when this went down. I can't really add anything to what's been reported on the news (which is how I found out most of it myself), but here's the summary I've been giving out:

Originally Posted by nonhuman
At about 1pm an armed gunman (rather redundant, I know, but just doesn't seem right any other way) entered the lobby of the Discovery Communications offices wearing what appeared to be a bomb. He took three hostages.

My desk is maybe 300' from where this happened and up one floor. The police responded very quickly and the building was locked down almost before we even knew anything was going on. In fairly short order, and after they had ensured that any dangerous persons were identified and contained, we (about 1900 employees in that office) were evacuated and then sent home.

A standoff ensued and continued for several hours while the police 'negotiated' with the hostage-taker, a rather unstable individual who's been fixated on the Discovery Channel for quite a while and led a 'protest' by homeless people he paid to attend about two years ago. He posted a manifesto online demanding that Discovery Channel air content encouraging the voluntary extinction of the human race in order to preserve the planet.

[At around 4:30 pm] he was shot and killed. All three hostages were rescued safely. The only casualty that I'm aware of is the amazingly delicious homemade enchilada that I was eating for lunch and had to leave at my desk half-finished (I was really looking forward to that lunch ).

It's been a crazy ****ing day.
I'm not generally a big fan of government in general or of the police specifically, but I really do have to commend and thank the Montgomery County Police Department. Their response was incredibly quick and effective, and they got all of us, including the hostages, out alive.

And yes, entirely thanks to this guy I missed the Stevenote.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
What did it do?
I've been wondering the same thing... All the reports say it went off, but none of them say what that means. I guess I'll find out when I go to work and the lobby either has or hasn't been exploded...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Do you have to be so abrasive all the time?
FWIW, I'm with Ca$h on this one.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm definitely glad all the hostages are safe.
Very glad! These are people I work with every day, even if not directly.

Sorry the guy was killed in the process.
I am not. Not at all.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2010, 08:10 PM

Sounds like a trying day. Glad you (and all the employees) made it through okay.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I am not. Not at all.
Yeah, he might've messed up Shark week for everyone.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Yeah, he might've messed up Shark week for everyone.
Shark week was last month.

Rumor
Sep 1, 2010, 08:43 PM

??? Sorry, didn't think I was insulting anybody. Most people around here are fairly smart.
Not insulted at all, it's just you are very abrasive almost all the time. It gets a bit tiring.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 10:14 PM

Good riddance to another looney. I hope it hurt. A LOT.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2010, 12:49 AM

Shark week was last month.
Every week is Shark Week in the Jawbone household.

Also, glad you and your co-workers are all right. The more I read about this story, the more I realize this could've turned out a lot worse. I didn't previously know you worked there; sweet!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2010, 05:19 AM

Environmentalist? No. Not a single mentions of trees, plants, or ocean.

More like I hate humans and animals are better. More like a PETA fanatic.

Humans suck, humans are filth, stop having babies, stop anchor babies. Save the animals.

His list of demands.

My Demands
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2010, 04:52 PM

Whoops, completely forgot about this thread.

I do indeed work at Discovery, and I was indeed in the office when this went down.
More right than I would have liked. Well, glad not to lose a NN member (Have you seen our numbers lately?!).

I'm not generally a big fan of government in general or of the police specifically, but I really do have to commend and thank the Montgomery County Police Department.
Only on MacNN.

---

Sorry the guy was killed in the process.
Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Good riddance to another looney. I hope it hurt. A LOT.
Somehow, I agree with neither of these statements.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Awe man. I was getting used to the idea that only conservatives were terrorists.
you forgot about ELF, PETA, and Greenpeace.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2010, 05:10 PM

Greenpeace aren't terrorists. Dogmatic yes, annoying at times yes, Terrorists no.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2010, 05:12 PM

Not here people. Take it to another thread.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2010, 05:13 PM

I think PETA is doing a wonderful job for those poor animals.

(gasoline meet match)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2010, 05:25 PM

I am not. Not at all.
Let's put it this way: the moment he put other's lives in danger, he opened himself up to the use of deadly force by the police. I have no qualms with that.

Still...it sucks to see people die (or get themselves killed) for stupid reasons.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2010, 05:31 PM

Still...it sucks to see people die (or get themselves killed) for stupid reasons.
I think there's a question to be brought up of what should happen/be done with some crazy people. I don't use the term crazy lightly here; If you advocate the extermination of your own race, something is profoundly wrong with you.

Since he was arrested in 2008 for trying a much meeker version of this, I'm left wondering what the timeline of events that lead up to this looked like.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2010, 06:50 PM

Let's put it this way: the moment he put other's lives in danger, he opened himself up to the use of deadly force by the police. I have no qualms with that.

That I agree with. However I have no qualms whatsoever with a dangerously unstable person being removed from society.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2010, 06:53 PM

I think there's a question to be brought up of what should happen/be done with some crazy people. I don't use the term crazy lightly here; If you advocate the extermination of your own race, something is profoundly wrong with you.

Since he was arrested in 2008 for trying a much meeker version of this, I'm left wondering what the timeline of events that lead up to this looked like.
Personally, I would say that a person has an absolute right to life up and until the point where they become a valid threat to the safety of others. If the only way to save a life is to take the life of the person threatening them, then so be it.

As far as crazy goes, I personally believe that their mental status should be irrelevant when it comes to the question of whether or not to remove them from society (one way or the other). Perhaps there are valid reasons to put them into a hospital rather than a prison, but regardless they are probably more dangerous than a sane person with criminal tendencies and that should be taken into account when dealing with them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 2, 2010, 08:19 PM

Personally, I would say that a person has an absolute right to life up and until the point where they become a valid threat to the safety of others.
I think someone driving 30mph over the limit through traffic honking, flashing lights, and waving signs poses a valid threat...

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 3, 2010, 01:01 AM

Reported for trolling.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2010, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Greenpeace aren't terrorists. Dogmatic yes, annoying at times yes, Terrorists no.
Bullsh*t, I happen to know people in Greenpeace, and I'm related to one. I know they do destructive things to achieve their goals, that's one of the reasons I have nothing to do with her anymore.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2010, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I think someone driving 30mph over the limit through traffic honking, flashing lights, and waving signs poses a valid threat...
The man speaks the truth.

I’m glad that you’re okay nonhuman I’d hate to see a respected MacNN person be gone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2010, 06:03 AM

If you advocate the extermination of your own race, something is profoundly wrong with you.
There is irony in the fact that his was the only death.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
The man speaks the truth.

I’m glad that you’re okay nonhuman I’d hate to see a respected MacNN person be gone.
I'm respected!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 3, 2010, 09:33 AM

Reported for trolling.
Can't take a little good-natured ribbing?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2010, 10:05 AM

Personally, I would say that a person has an absolute right to life up and until the point where they become a valid threat to the safety of others. If the only way to save a life is to take the life of the person threatening them, then so be it.
That's pretty much my stance.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There is irony in the fact that his was the only death.
Only if he didn't want to die.

Forum Links
Forum Rules