Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Dropbox vs 1Password on new HD

Dropbox vs 1Password on new HD
Harvey
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 11:38 AM

Hello,
I recently replaced the HD on my 2007 iMac. Now I am having a hard time getting it to sync with my other devices. I use 1Password. Any ideas on how I can get my replacement HD to sync?

Harvey

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2013, 03:03 PM

Dropbox isn't syncing? You're a little unclear.

If that's it: Open the dropbox settings from the menubar item, go to "account", and log in.

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 03:40 PM

Dropbox holds all of my passwords and from one device to another I don't need to remember any of them. Works very well with my iPhone, ipad and mbp. Recently I needed to replace my imac HD and have had no luck with 1Passwords syncing from other devices. My "uninformed guess" is that because I first used Dropbox on my iMac it needs to somehow be generated from there. So my problem is HOW do I get the files into my iMac's dropbox. Tried copy and paste from my MBP with no luck.

Hope this helps. 1Passwords does not answer my emails.

HB

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2013, 05:05 PM

when you log into dropbox via the web interface, are your 1password files there?

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 05:52 PM

Yes

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2013, 06:45 PM

Is the Dropbox Folder in the same location on the iMac as it is on the other machines? Have you told 1Password where to look for the folder?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2013, 03:03 AM

It sounds like you have multiple keychains located on multiple devices. There should be only one keychain located in your Dropbox folder. That file is called 1Password.agilekeychain and all of your devices should be pointing to that one file.

Open the 1Password app on your iMac and go to the preferences. Select the General tab and make sure the data file is pointed to the keychain in your Dropbox folder. Once you do this, the passwords from your other devices should appear on your iMac.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Is the Dropbox Folder in the same location on the iMac as it is on the other machines? Have you told 1Password where to look for the folder?
FWIW, if you are using the App Store version of 1Pass, DropBox must be in the default location. This is part of Apple's "sandboxing" of the OS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules