Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is 166 Mhz and a SuperDrive worth $100?

Is 166 Mhz and a SuperDrive worth $100?
Staren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 12:58 AM

Hi everyone,

I've decided to take the plunge and get a MacBook as my first Mac. What I'm wondering before i buy is if you think the 2.0 Ghz CPU and DVD burner is worth the extra $100 (I have the academic discount)? Now what I was originally planning to do is buy the basic 1.83 MacBook for $1,049 and up to 2GB RAM and a 100 GB 7200 rpm hard drive for about $300. For a total of about $1,350.

But I could get the 2.0 Ghz MacBook with 2GB of RAM and a 120 GB 5400 rpm hard drive for $1,490.

Or the 2.0 Ghz MacBook with 2GB of RAM and add a 7200 rpm hard drive for a total of $1,500. Now that last one is as high as I possibly want to go, and I don't want to go that high if it isn't a practical upgrade. What do you think is the best price vs. power deal? Other then the ability to burn DVDs on the go, would I be losing a lot of performance from the first option compared to the 3rd? Thanks in advance.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 11, 2007, 02:21 AM

For resale value alone the Superdrive is worth it. I wouldn't buy another computer without it.

Staren  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 03:10 AM

That's not really a consideration for me. I use computers either until something breaks or they're too under powered to use for daily work and I find a specialty project for them. But the Superdrive is tempting for ease of use rather then connecting the external burner. It is a good reason to go for the upgrade given the price diffrence is $100 rather then the standard $200.

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 11, 2007, 04:28 AM

the 2ghz also has extra cache. as for hard drive. i know everyone is different, but i'm current subscribing to the theory that the more you fill your hard drive (ie - if you keep it 80% full, the 5400rpm will outperform the 7200rpm, but if you have the hard drive mostly empty, the higher rpm will give you better performance) the better you're off with the lower rpm drive.

i think it would be better getting 1 stick of 1gb ram or 2gb. i don't like the idea of 2x512mb because you're handcuffing yourself. Yes, there's the advantage of dual channel, but i don't think there is noticable difference. i've used both 1x1gb and 2x512mb and i couldn't tell the difference.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 04:39 AM

My personal recommendation is to go with the Superdrive, since recordable DVDs are common now, and even if you don't use them to make movies often, they might be useful for fitting in a file you can't get on a CD or backups.

There are too many uses for it and it is too practical not to get it for $100 difference. And remember: The Hard Drive you can upgrade yourself easily and relatively cheaply later on.

Staren  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 01:49 PM

Thanks a lot for the opinions guys. Helped a lot. I think I will go with the 2.0 Ghz MacBook. I'll switch the RAM out for twin 1 GB sticks from NewEgg right away, but stick with the basic 80 GB 5400 rpm drive to begin with. I can always move up to the bigger faster drive when I need it. My laptop drives are usually 50% - 60% full and only go up if I have something on there short term for vacation or a presentation or something like that.
( Last edited by Staren; Feb 11, 2007 at 04:02 PM. )

ChasingApple
Senior User
Feb 11, 2007, 04:34 PM

Sounds like the right plan, if you upgrade your drive with Apple you pay more for the drive and lose the original drive, if you take the 80GB and buy your own you get the benefit of saving money on the new hard drive and getting to use your old 80GB as an external.

Enjoy the Macbook, I am mine!
iMac G4 / Macbook

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2007, 03:22 AM

The other approach is to max it out early on (RAM, HD, and upgrade to Superdrive) and get on with using the machine for what it's worth and get the most use out of it. No sense in putting off the upgrades only to flip the machine for a new model when it comes out since you'll have struggled along with substandard performance for the first several months.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Staren  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 09:25 AM

Like I said above, I don't jump on new models just to have the newest. I use them until they're just too slow to be usable (not when it's no longer the latest and greatest, but utterly useless) or it breaks beyond repair. I get at least 3 to 5 years out of a computer as a main system before I turn it into a test box or server or something. Besides, I'm on a graduate students budget here. I'm going to get the best I can get, but I only have so much to spend at a time.

darom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 02:03 PM

I had the same dilemma, I bought the cheaper model with no DVD burner. I have an external USB/firewire enclosure ($30) with my old 8X DVD burner in it. It works great. Instead I bought a G.Skill 1GB memory module to bump the laptop to 1.2GB.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2007, 02:41 PM

If money really is a big issue, go for the $1,099 model. But like many others said, the resale value alone (not to mention backup on DVD-R's, more cache mixed with the faster processor speed will be a difference, etc) it would be worth it for the extra small amount of cash.

Forum Links
Forum Rules