Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 52)
andi*pandi
Aug 18, 2020, 07:59 PM

Do I also have access to arsenic?

Thorzdad
Aug 18, 2020, 08:38 PM

You can’t kill the soulless.

andi*pandi
Aug 18, 2020, 08:47 PM

Let's ask Mr. Pointy about that.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 18, 2020, 10:02 PM

^^ That is not Mr. Pointy.

Edit:

( Last edited by reader50; Aug 19, 2020 at 12:44 AM. )

Thorzdad
Aug 20, 2020, 11:06 AM

andi*pandi
Aug 20, 2020, 03:53 PM

Well well well. Grifters be grifting.

In brief remarks about the case, President Trump said he felt "very badly," but added that he had not been dealing with Bannon "for a very long period of time." Bannon left the White House in August 2017.

"I don't like that project," Trump said. "I thought it was being done for showboating reasons."

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a statement that Trump had previously disavowed the We Build the Wall project.

"President Trump has always felt the Wall must be a government project and that it is far too big and complex to be handled privately," she said, adding: "President Trump has not been involved with Steve Bannon since the campaign and the early part of the Administration, and he does not know the people involved with this project."

Thorzdad
Aug 20, 2020, 04:22 PM

There’s speculation now that, back in July, Bill Barr discovered that the SDNY was investigating We Build The Wall, and that prompted his midnight firing of Geoffrey Berman, and his attempt to install Trump supporter Jay Clayton (a corporate attorney who had never prosecuted a case, at any level, in his life) as Berman’s replacement.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2020, 05:33 AM

How long until Trump pardons them?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Aug 21, 2020, 10:00 AM

As long as it takes Bannon's lawyers to show trump their press packet full of Trump dirt.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2020, 10:48 AM

From what I know of both Bannon and Trump, my guess is they dislike each other.

Bannon’s always thought Trump is a tool.

Trump finally realized this, and put him on the shit list.

Thorzdad
Aug 21, 2020, 12:36 PM

Just in case you weren’t really sure if Steven Miller is a total sh*tstainterrible person...

While zero tolerance ultimately separated nearly 3,000 children from their parents, what Miller proposed would have separated 25,000 more, including those who legally presented themselves at ports of entry seeking asylum...

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2020, 05:19 PM

I almost forgot.

Most hilarious part to me? Bannon got arrested by the Post Office.

Thorzdad
Aug 24, 2020, 05:23 PM

USPS takes mail fraud very seriously. It reflects badly on the property.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2020, 06:16 PM

Oh, totally.

But getting busted by the Post Office will never not be funny, and I like to pretend they’re retaliating against the President.

Right now, they’re sweating Bannon. Like, making him lick envelopes until he talks.

Thorzdad
Aug 24, 2020, 06:42 PM

Bannon has to be sweating, too. Epstein’s “suicide” comes to mind, of course. Did Bannon get involved with any Putin-adjacent groups during his time in Europe after leaving the White House? He got involved with far-far-right groups, if I recall. Vlad does love his poisonings.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2020, 06:49 AM

Sometimes, when licking envelopes, this thing just happens where you get a paper cut on your tongue and bleed out and die.

Thorzdad
Aug 26, 2020, 10:21 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2020, 10:19 PM

Kimberly’s hair is almost “suck it, Crystal Gayle” tier.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 27, 2020, 08:36 AM

I thought you were talking about Kim Reynolds there for a second. She's...not great.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2020, 04:02 PM

Her hair’s not that bad. She could use a touch more volume, but I’m biased towards big hair.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2020, 02:10 PM

Just got an FAA alert not to fly drones in Kenosha tomorrow.

Thorzdad
Aug 31, 2020, 02:15 PM

Is Trump making a visit up there? Seems like a perfect time and place to rally the bundists.

OreoCookie
Aug 31, 2020, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
^^ A bunch of people should be in jail for this. Corruption and conspiracy come to mind.
That really reminds me of the famous Simpsons bit where they find out that Mr. Burns has every disease imaginable. But precisely, because he has every disease, they cancel each other out and he stays alive. In fact, he’d die if he’d be cured of some of them.

There are so many serious scandals nobody can focus on a single one of them. And this is, ultimately, what keeps Trump alive.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorzdad
Sep 5, 2020, 03:33 PM

andi*pandi
Sep 6, 2020, 08:47 PM

Not even trying to hide any more.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2020, 11:46 PM

Inciting all-out race war is all he’s got.

He’s already got unmarked police forces spiriting people away with no objection from „his“ government; all he needs is a state of emergency to sweep away what remnants of democracy remain that might remove his cabal from power.

Thorzdad
Sep 15, 2020, 07:14 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2020, 07:55 AM

Because of course.

andi*pandi
Sep 15, 2020, 10:24 AM

This is going to take decades to unravel. Intentionally.

Thorzdad
Sep 20, 2020, 03:48 PM

It appears now that Trump’s kickback in the TikTok deal will be laundered through a Texas-based “educational charity”, which seems to have some tie-in to his “patriotic” education dogwhistle.

Thorzdad
Sep 26, 2020, 11:30 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2020, 07:41 AM

Barron Trump is like, 7 feet tall now.

Thorzdad
Oct 4, 2020, 07:44 AM

Yeah. He's 14 now.

andi*pandi
Oct 4, 2020, 01:13 PM

wonder if melania is wearing heels in that pic.
Either way that's a tall kid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2020, 02:12 PM

Tent-peg heels.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 4, 2020, 03:49 PM

Walking across the WH lawn in high heels can't be fun. Besides Melania, I've seen at least one pic showing Hicks doing it. You'd pretty much have to walk on your toes the whole way.

Comfortable shoes are preferred, in my opinion. Or even those high-sole combat boots, that teen girls seem to like.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2020, 10:59 PM

andi*pandi
Oct 5, 2020, 07:47 AM

If she was wearing those in the photo, then 5'11 + 4 inches would put her as tall as donald's supposed 6'3", unless he also wears heels.

Thorzdad
Oct 5, 2020, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
If she was wearing those in the photo, then 5'11 + 4 inches would put her as tall as donald's supposed 6'3", unless he also wears heels.
He does. Lifts. Pretty tall ones, by all accounts. That's why he always seems to be leaning forward, and why he has a difficult time descending ramps, ala his address at West Point.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2020, 08:18 AM

If she was wearing those in the photo...
She obviously wouldn’t be. Those are her gardening heels.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2020, 08:29 AM

It just occurred to me. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Melania speak.

I mean, I know she does, but like I have no idea what her voice sounds like, or how thick her accent is.

And as an aside, I still don’t really understand why people don’t fake the accent of the language they’re speaking.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 5, 2020, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It just occurred to me. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Melania speak.

I mean, I know she does, but like I have no idea what her voice sounds like, or how thick her accent is.
Last week I listened to the tape about her complaining about having to do the ****ing Christmas thing and realized that was the first time I'd heard her talk. I used to work with a lot of Russians so it was a familiar accent.

And as an aside, I still don’t really understand why people don’t fake the accent of the language they’re speaking.
I'm sure a real linguist has a better answer, but I think I have an idea. When you learn to talk, your mouth and tongue learn to form sounds specific to your language. Moving to a different language would be like trying to throw a ball with your non-dominant hand. You know how to throw a ball, you know what it looks like to throw a ball, so why do you look so freaking awkward throwing a ball with your wrong hand?

When we learn a new language, we relate the sounds to sound we already know how to make. We say what we think the word is, rather than what we actually hear someone saying. It's why a Shibboleth works.

One of my proudest moments was when I was in Mexico for work using the most rudimentary of high school Spanish and one of the Mexicans noted that my Spanish sounded natural, not like an American trying to speak spanish.

I also had coworkers, one from Peru and one from Mexico that were speaking Spanish to each other. In the middle of the conversation, they turned to me and asked if I could tell the difference in their accents. Absolutely I couldn't, but for native speakers, it was very clear where each of them was from.

andi*pandi
Oct 5, 2020, 08:54 AM

I've heard her speak before, she read a story at one of the easter events, and of course the birther speeches.

When you learn english also depends how old you were. A family member who came over when he was 15 still has thick accent, but others who came over < 10yo learned "broadcast news" english and have no accents at all. Like not even boston. I tried learning their language and had a few phrases, I tried to use until the inlaws told me I spoke with a french accent!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2020, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Last week I listened to the tape about her complaining about having to do the ****ing Christmas thing and realized that was the first time I'd heard her talk. I used to work with a lot of Russians so it was a familiar accent.

I'm sure a real linguist has a better answer, but I think I have an idea. When you learn to talk, your mouth and tongue learn to form sounds specific to your language. Moving to a different language would be like trying to throw a ball with your non-dominant hand. You know how to throw a ball, you know what it looks like to throw a ball, so why do you look so freaking awkward throwing a ball with your wrong hand?

When we learn a new language, we relate the sounds to sound we already know how to make. We say what we think the word is, rather than what we actually hear someone saying. It's why a Shibboleth works.

One of my proudest moments was when I was in Mexico for work using the most rudimentary of high school Spanish and one of the Mexicans noted that my Spanish sounded natural, not like an American trying to speak spanish.

I also had coworkers, one from Peru and one from Mexico that were speaking Spanish to each other. In the middle of the conversation, they turned to me and asked if I could tell the difference in their accents. Absolutely I couldn't, but for native speakers, it was very clear where each of them was from.
I was about to listen to that exact clip, because I found the transcript incomprehensible. Then I remembered I didn’t actually care.

I definitely get the idea of sounds in one language which aren’t in another. I don’t speak French, but I took enough to pick up it often uses a “honk” sound which isn’t in English.

Maybe I’m mistaken, but I feel like someone speaking English in a thick accent, would be the equivalent of me speaking French without even trying to make that sound.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2020, 09:43 AM

I've heard her speak before, she read a story at one of the easter events, and of course the birther speeches.

When you learn english also depends how old you were. A family member who came over when he was 15 still has thick accent, but others who came over < 10yo learned "broadcast news" english and have no accents at all. Like not even boston. I tried learning their language and had a few phrases, I tried to use until the inlaws told me I spoke with a french accent!
I remember hearing Charo speaking Japanese. I don’t speak Japanese, but I’m almost positive she spoke it with less of an accent than her English.

What made me think of it is I have a pet theory that French (which Charo also speaks) and Japanese share phonic similarities English shares with neither.

Someone get Oisín on the blower!

andi*pandi
Oct 5, 2020, 09:44 AM

there's a barely discernable "r" sound in french, and a back of the throat rolling "r" sound (rowr). These are hard.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2020, 09:55 AM

I was never able to roll my Rs, but I always assumed I could if I really tried.

Somewhat easier is something like “scusi” in Italian. They pronounce the “U”, but just barely. That took me a little work.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2020, 05:00 PM

He is believed/known to wear lifts.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2020, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I remember hearing Charo speaking Japanese. I don’t speak Japanese, but I’m almost positive she spoke it with less of an accent than her English.

What made me think of it is I have a pet theory that French (which Charo also speaks) and Japanese share phonic similarities English shares with neither.
As someone who speaks some Japanese and has a fair grasp of its sound palette (I grew up there) and has resolutely failed to pick up the inflections and general melody of French, I will disagree on Oísin's behalf.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2020, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
He is believed/known to wear lifts.
It's amusing that he'd be insecure enough about his stature to prefer looking like a badly sculpted hunk of real estate on the brink of teetering over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules