Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Yahoo offering unlimited e-mail storage for its paid subscribers, what about .mac?

Yahoo offering unlimited e-mail storage for its paid subscribers, what about .mac?
nobitacu
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 09:27 AM

Ok, I'm starting to get mad at Apple with their .Mac service. We're paying $100 a year for a tiny amount of e-mail storage space, yet, other services are starting to offer their subscribers a lot lot more space for free, and some like yahoo "virtually unlimited" (at least on par with google's 1 GB) for its paid subscribers. The sad thing is, I would switch over to a different e-mail provider other than .Mac, but they just renewed my account 2 months ago. They better upgrade our space soon, or a lot of people is going to get mad.

Ming
( Last edited by nobitacu; May 14, 2004 at 09:34 AM. )
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2004, 09:45 AM

Are you running low on e-mail space? Just asking...

nobitacu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 01:03 PM

Yup... already had to delete some mails...

Ming

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 02:11 PM

Why can't you file them on the computer?

nobitacu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
Why can't you file them on the computer?
Because I want to be able to read any of my e-mails from anywhere in the world on any computer, not just mine.

Ming

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 16, 2004, 12:21 AM

i would not be too surprised to see apple increase the defualt mail storage limit in the next little while, what with yahoo, google, spymac etc all offering more space.....have you sent feedback to apple/.mac suggesting this instead of just bitching here? also, remember that .mac is more than just email.....the isync is what keeps me with .mac right now...sure i can do all that stuff in other ways but not with the simple 1-click.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Because I want to be able to read any of my e-mails from anywhere in the world on any computer, not just mine.

Ming
Makes sense, it would be nice if they just offered 110MB of stuff, email, webpages, pics of the grandkids - all of it used towards the one limit.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2004, 02:22 AM

I have already sent in my feedback about expanding email and iDisk storage space.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac/tm.html

.Mac's current email storage space is just TOO small. I have to delete some very important emails and that's pretty disappointing.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 03:10 AM

Now THAT is a great idea if I've ever heard one put forward. Hope they think about implementing something like that.

Originally posted by dampeoples:
Makes sense, it would be nice if they just offered 110MB of stuff, email, webpages, pics of the grandkids - all of it used towards the one limit.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 16, 2004, 06:56 AM

IMO .Mac is the static dinosaur of web host'ers out there. They do listen to their customers, but rarely anything gets done. If you're not happy, stop renewing, and spend the money on a FW drive and some backup software instead. It probably doesn't sound helpful, but that's what I've intend to do. My account has already expired.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 16, 2004, 10:55 AM

um, I may be in the minority here, but storing ALL your e-mails online just so you can access them anywhere in the world seems a little silly. What are you going to do? Archive your e-mails from 1998 in your account?

.Mac is more than just e-mail. Keep that in mind. Besides, the e-mail space you have is separate from your iDisk space anyway.

And for those who rely on their e-mail for getting work done, and *NEED* their entire history stored on their server, .Mac is a pretty poor thing to rely on. For a couple reasons: 1. the e-mail goes down quite often. Not much of a problem for those of us (like me) that don't use their e-mail. 2. Their spam filters aren't configurable by the end user.

Oh, and if you're storing your e-mail on their server, make sure you have a backup on your computer too. I don't trust online storage too much (Given the lifespan of the average company/service online, I don't expect online storage to be "permanen, as many of them would like you to believe. Also, I prefer to have my stuff backed up, OFFLINE, and nowhere near a connection to the outside world. Hackers can't look at stuff they can't physically connect to.)

nobitacu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
um, I may be in the minority here, but storing ALL your e-mails online just so you can access them anywhere in the world seems a little silly. What are you going to do? Archive your e-mails from 1998 in your account?

.Mac is more than just e-mail. Keep that in mind. Besides, the e-mail space you have is separate from your iDisk space anyway.

And for those who rely on their e-mail for getting work done, and *NEED* their entire history stored on their server, .Mac is a pretty poor thing to rely on. For a couple reasons: 1. the e-mail goes down quite often. Not much of a problem for those of us (like me) that don't use their e-mail. 2. Their spam filters aren't configurable by the end user.

Oh, and if you're storing your e-mail on their server, make sure you have a backup on your computer too. I don't trust online storage too much (Given the lifespan of the average company/service online, I don't expect online storage to be "permanen, as many of them would like you to believe. Also, I prefer to have my stuff backed up, OFFLINE, and nowhere near a connection to the outside world. Hackers can't look at stuff they can't physically connect to.)
Yea... it's called having a business, and yes, sometimes we DO in fact have to go years back for an old e-mail on something. And I'm not always right next to my computer when clients calls me to check something out. That's when I'll use a different computer to look at the e-mail. We do back up our e-mails offline as well, but you're not getting the point. Yea, back it up, but where can you look at those backups? only on the computer you backed up to. Sorry, that might work for you since you're always next to your own computer, but not for some of us that are not always next to our computer.

Ming

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2004, 02:29 PM

Yea... it's called having a business, [..]
I believe .Mac is not particularly geared towards businesses. You might find something that suits your needs better elsewhere.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 16, 2004, 05:57 PM

Yea... it's called having a business, and yes, sometimes we DO in fact have to go years back for an old e-mail on something.

Ming
Well, from a business point of view, it does make more sense.

But still, from a business point of view, relying on .Mac doesn't make much sense, because .Mac is not geared towards businesses. Which is what I said in my post above.

Originally posted by Person Man:
And for those who rely on their e-mail for getting work done, and *NEED* their entire history stored on their server, .Mac is a pretty poor thing to rely on.
I did say people who *NEED* their entire history stored on their server. I'd say certain businesses would qualify for that.

And I'm always "next" to my own computer in the sense that I have both a laptop and a desktop, and whenever I go somewhere where I'll be away from the desktop for long periods of time, I usually have my laptop with me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules