Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.8 out!

10.3.8 out! (Page 2)
Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 12:18 AM

no problem here with osx.3.8 server

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 12:22 AM

Anyone noticing any weird issues with the latest version of the Official BitTorrent client? Could just be me, but it takes up 100% of my CPU and just locks the system. Guess it's time to spring for some more RAM.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 12:28 AM

No problems here.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 01:18 AM

Claims of OSX 10.3.8 feeling snappier is no BS. The Darwin Kernal got updated to 7.8.0 from version 7.7.0.

Also, I ran Xbench and with OSX 10.3.8 I got 118.21 today compared to 114.81 on OSX 10.3.7 on January 2005.

Snappier is good!
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 01:28 AM

I haven't ever played this card before, but I think I probably will now... but of course, I'll ask people to tell me what to do because, yes, I'm just that indecisive...

If it ain't broke...

are there any compelling reasons for me to upgrade? I haven't been playing any games of late (certainly nothing more straining on my system than Warcraft III... I haven't been having any problems at all, I'm not running any sort of server...

I've got a dual G5. I've heard the fans on a model very similar to mine. if 80-100% is true, I wouldn't be able to use my computer during quiet hours here in the dorms.

Nothing wrong + fear of fan noise + 35 days and counting uptime (I know, I know...) = no upgrade for me, this time... unless somebody can give me a good reason to. I'd love a good reason, 'cause I like updates to things....

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Feb 10, 2005, 01:50 AM

ok I think uControl is broken after the OS upgrade.

(for those of you who don't know what uControl is: it's a nice keyboard remapper which allows you to do scrolling on your trackpad, for one

http://www.gnufoo.org/ucontrol/ucontrol.html)

Well hope the authors will update the very nice app!

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 02:32 AM

Just want to add a me too. 10.3.8 is causing my Dual 2ghz G5's fans to throttle up and down. I hardly ever heard them get loud. Now with this update, they are kicking up and down, and at odd times too.

Something's up....

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 04:06 AM

Fans on my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 are revving at irregular times. They started revving just as I started typing this and wait a second...they are quieting down again. There is definitely an issue with fan control. Hope for a quick fix....

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2005, 06:18 AM

I have a dual 2ghz and I'm going to hold off on this one I think. Might try it on my PowerBook though.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
safari to me is faster and my fan is not coming on as much as it used to...
I noticed a difference in Safari right after the download. Glad to hear it is not my imagination.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2005, 07:01 AM

I'll second that. My 10.3.8 Safari (1.2.4 v125.12) is definitely snappier.

When I open a set of ten tabs they all load in parallel and within 5 seconds they're finished rendering. That used to take about 12 seconds. And these times are of course on the same network. Taken right before and after the update.

Thanks, Apple.

[Edit: They however still haven't managed to solve the bug, that just because I'm editing this post, Safari takes up 50% of my CPU ]

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2005, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Why do I feel this thread will be filled with 4 pages of:

1) I have this problem nobody else does
2) It still didn't fix......
3) Works fine for me (after 1 min of testing)
4) It's snappier jokes
5) Downloading it now....
6) How do I go back to 10.3.7?
it's almost like you have seen a thread like this before

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

brucejy
Feb 10, 2005, 08:29 AM

Xbench scores are unchanged for me. Safari IS snappier, but I notice a video stuttering using my OpenGL screensaver. I previously noted OpenGL improvement with 10.3.7, with quite impressive framerate improvement under 10.3.7, but I seem to have lost some of that with this latest update.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 09:10 AM

I updated my Ti500 booting from a Lacie Porche Mobile FW/USB drive and haven't had any problems.

My 17" 1Ghz is in for warranty service, hence the setup.

No idea what chipset this drive has. It has both a FW400 and USB2 interface. Perhaps it's an Oxford 922.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by TeknoTurd:
Anyone noticing any weird issues with the latest version of the Official BitTorrent client? Could just be me, but it takes up 100% of my CPU and just locks the system.
tell me a time when it hasn't been a complete CPU hog!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2005, 11:14 AM

All is good here.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

hecateh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 11:48 AM

seems internet sharing doesnt want to stay enabled for me since upgrading from 10.3.7.

any ideas anyone?

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 11:55 AM

Upgraded my dual 2.0 with 2gb ram and decklink card.

No fan problems or any other issues so far. As stated multiple times before, always unplug all your drives, hubs, etc. and repair permissions before upgrading -oh, and may be you should backup your files.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 12:37 PM

My HP all-in-one 6110 no longer is recognized since updating
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

MaxieZeus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 12:41 PM

1) I have this problem nobody else does
That's me!

I upgraded and shut down the PowerBook G4 last night. This morning, I booted up (with the hi-revving fan change that everyone seems to be experiencing). I launced Safari, went to MacNN and a few news sites, and then I got a system notification that my system drive was almost full. I had 9GB free on it last night, but, sure enough, it was down to 700MB and dropping like a stone.

After a reboot, the drive was down to Zero KB, no matter how much I threw away (neither Safari nor anything else was running).

I'm trying a round of fsck's now...

MaxieZeus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 01:36 PM

Huh... my system.log file was 9GB big. That can't be normal. Deleting it seems to have done the trick, tho...

videian28
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by velporama:
Sooooooooo ...

Does WoW run any better on an iMac G5 w/ the nVidia chipset?

-v

ps: at work so I can't check till later.

very good update for WoW and nVidia

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
My HP all-in-one 6110 no longer is recognized since updating
That is totally normal for those POS HP drivers that break at every update.

My Canon drivers from 2 years ago still work fine.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

patman600
Feb 10, 2005, 02:21 PM

dual 2ghz g5, rev. b, everything's fine, no fan issues.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by MaxieZeus:
That's me!

I upgraded and shut down the PowerBook G4 last night. This morning, I booted up (with the hi-revving fan change that everyone seems to be experiencing). I launced Safari, went to MacNN and a few news sites, and then I got a system notification that my system drive was almost full. I had 9GB free on it last night, but, sure enough, it was down to 700MB and dropping like a stone.

After a reboot, the drive was down to Zero KB, no matter how much I threw away (neither Safari nor anything else was running).

Somone else had the problem (most likely at least). It was caused by some third party app that is incompatible with 10.3.8. Check your log file. Look for errors and see if it has grown extremely large. Run Onyx and clear all caches/log files. See if you can find the cuplrit looking at system monitor etc. I'm sorry I can'tremember which app and where I read about it...

Sporty G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by robby818:
Fans on my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 are revving at irregular times. They started revving just as I started typing this and wait a second...they are quieting down again. There is definitely an issue with fan control. Hope for a quick fix....
I have a DP 1.8Ghz and the fans are cycling on and off an average of 10 times per hour. Sometimes they are quiet some times they are much nosier. This is frustrating since I never once experienced this issue prior to installing the 10.3.8 update.

Can I revert to 10.3.7?

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 04:27 PM

On my 15" AlBook, 640x480x16bpp mode is broken in fullscreen OpenGL applications like games. It just shows black or a repeated pattern of lines/dots. 10.3.7 worked fine. Other modes including 640x480x32bpp still work in 10.3.8.

Dr.Michael
Feb 10, 2005, 04:49 PM

Definitely more fan noise here. cpu is below 10 % and the fan is running. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...t!

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 10, 2005, 04:54 PM

oh gawd

how do you go back to 10.3.7 ?

Sporty G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 05:14 PM

...fans have cycled on and off 10 times in the last 20 minutes including one run that lasted a very noisey 30 seconds... getting rediculous.

CPU usage is well below 10%, only Safari, Mail, MSN Messenger and iTunes are open.

Also, this may not be related at all and I may just be going insane, but last night I noticed that the light on the front of my G5 throbbed much faster when it was asleep than it usually does. Strange.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 06:01 PM

i am so happy i didn't update my DP G5.
my 12" PB is fine though.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Steve Bosell:
no problem here with osx.3.8 server
I'll second that. It also fixed the issue on the MIni where the sound was not able to be adjusted.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 06:16 PM

So far everyone who has mentioned the fan issues has had a 1.8 or a 2.0 G5. Has anyone with a dual 2.5 experienced this?

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Feb 10, 2005, 06:28 PM

Everything fine over here..

Then again I haven't updated from 10.3.7 yet

Dr.Michael
Feb 10, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
Definitely more fan noise here. cpu is below 10 % and the fan is running. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...t!
Ok, update with measurements:

10.3.7:
fan stops at 47.3 C/117.5 F
fan starts at 52.3 C/ 125 F

10.3.8:
fan stops at 46.0 C/115.3 F
fan starts at 52.3 C/125 F

47.3 can only be reached after doing nothing for >10 minutes.

Seems my first impression wasn't wrong. I never had a running fan right after the boot process before.
Go back? Only if you have a backup that you can play back. I have and I will use it. The fan was already annoying before. The only reason to switch - to an iBook :o).

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2005, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by MaxieZeus:
That's me!

Ok, found it. This is from xlr8yourmac.com feedback page:

"Disk Full (in error): (I updated a PB G4 with less than 2GB free OK) Update: a reader said that if Macally's iShockXDriver is installed in 10.3.8, it will flood the system log with errors until the drive is literally full. See his thread at iDevgames.com for more info. I wrote the 2 previous readers with this problem to ask if they had that driver installed.

(added 2/10/2005)
"Ever since i updated to 10.3.8 it says my disk is full and i can't create or save anything. I am on an iBook g4 800mhz. I am supposed to have 6 gigs or so left. I repaired permissions but it still says i have zero kb available. When I get info on all the folders inside the hard drive it says 21 gigs so it's not full for real it must be a bug from 10.3.8.
"

I asked if he'd booted from a 10.3.x CD and ran Disk Utility on the drive. Another reader replied he'd seen it also:

(added 2/10/2005)
"Disk full error: I'm also having the (startup) disk full error. A restarts resolves but just temporary. Itr really bugging me.
it's looks like a memory leak or something like that. I've got, for sure, 4GB free, but after working a while on my mac, it's just getting less and less.
Sander
G4 1.4Ghz 10.3.8"

Could this be your problem?

Good luck!

redwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 07:08 PM

If you're willing to give up scroll mouse feature thingy (I don't use that anyway) and you have the ability to recompile ucontrol (EASY ..VERY EASY), then you can fix this.

1) Go to sourceforge.net and sign up,
2) Access ucontrol project
3) Check out the 1.4.4 release via anonymous CVS
4) Compile it (make)
5) Install it ( sudo make install)
6) Reboot

Done.

If you need help with this, email me.

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
ok I think uControl is broken after the OS upgrade.

(for those of you who don't know what uControl is: it's a nice keyboard remapper which allows you to do scrolling on your trackpad, for one

http://www.gnufoo.org/ucontrol/ucontrol.html)

Well hope the authors will update the very nice app!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
very good update for WoW and nVidia
Why? I didn't notice any diference while playing WoW last night.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 08:25 PM

To cure the G5 fan problems set energy saver to highest. Worked for me and others.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Sporty G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 08:46 PM

To cure the G5 fan problems set energy saver to highest. Worked for me and others.
Gonna give that a whirl!

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 11:43 PM

For the people having fan issues, have you installed any haxies to cause this or anything in the background running like Meteorologist? If so, maybe there is an incompatability with 10.3.8 and that software running.

Just a thought, because it must have tested out fine on Apple's computers and all of their developers. I'm just trying to see if it really is Apple's issue.

I am away from my apt now, but going back to my G5 tomorrow. I have issues with fans speeding up with simple window resizes... I was hoping this would fix that issue.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2005, 04:40 AM

That's strange. I had the impression that the fan in my 1 GHz 12" rev B goes on less often because the fan's temperature threshold has been increased. To me, it seems as if the fan starts later, but ramps up quicker. As long as I'm not putting big load on CPU/GPU, I have less fan noise now.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2005, 04:57 AM

I am not touching 10.3.8 with a ten foot pole on my DP 2.0. And I sincerely don't see how Highest Performance is a fix for the issue being reported. Highest makes my G5 considerably hotter. Perhaps there is a general explanation for this issue. Perhaps it was the G5 (June) Firmware update - I only draw that hypothesis because it's one variable that would apply to all of us, we either installed it or did not. At least one poster reported not having any problems on his G5. So how many of you with irregular fan activity applied the patch, and how many did not?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Feb 11, 2005 at 06:02 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Recto Bold
Feb 11, 2005, 04:59 AM

It certainly improved things for me. The other thing that helped (oddly) was shutting down, unplugging the pwer cable, leaving for a few minutes and then re-connecting it. Maybe something gets reset? Maybe coincidence. Setting to "highest" improved things further but it still appears to be more sensitive to temperature/load than previously. I'm using Shape Shifter but it was no different without that disabled.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2005, 05:04 AM

I've always ran my dual 2ghz G5 at highest performance since I got it, but I'm going to wait for more on this fan issue. If it were a 5 minute job to revert to 10.3.7 then I'd try it, but at the moment my Mac ain't broke, so I'm not going to fix it!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Dr.Michael
Feb 11, 2005, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
That's strange. I had the impression that the fan in my 1 GHz 12" rev B goes on less often because the fan's temperature threshold has been increased. To me, it seems as if the fan starts later, but ramps up quicker. As long as I'm not putting big load on CPU/GPU, I have less fan noise now.
Interesting. Did you see my cpu temps above?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2005, 05:23 AM

Interesting. Did you see my cpu temps above?
Yeah. But I find it rather hard to measure the fan off level, because once my fan is on, the only way to get it to turn off, is by sleep or shutdown.

Here's the comparison for my fan on threshold:

10.3.7:
fan starts at 48C/118F

10.3.8:
fan starts at 50C/122F

The problem with this machine is, when I log in and just let the Finder idle, the PowerBook quickly heats up above 48C/118F meaning that my fan's always on. At home in my quiet study, that drives me nuts.

Goodbye 1 GHz 12", welcome 1.67 GHz 15".
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 11, 2005 at 06:00 AM. )

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 07:34 AM

According to some people over at xlr8, just toggling the energy saver setting back and forth is enough to get rid of the fan issues.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 08:21 AM

Not so much. Doesn't matter which setting I have it on, Automatic or Highest, the fans still race while doing the simplest things.

opti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 09:08 AM

Dude... it really is snappier. Not sure if it's the graphics driver or the kernal, and by no means have I done (nor could I do) a comprehensive comparison, but I've noticed that Expose and dock minimize have been liquid-smooth since the upgrade. Anyone else notice this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules