Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Is my battery dead or my iPod broken?

Is my battery dead or my iPod broken?
Icarust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 01:13 PM

I have a 3rd generation iPod, it works when on AC power, but the battery does not hold *any* charge. As soon as I unhook it from AC power it turns off. When it is plugged in the display indicates that it's charging, but it will never actually charge. This happened with the standard battery that came with it (it worked for a long time before this happened), I purchased a new battery and it still happens. Did I just get a lemon battery or is my iPod broken. Would it be worth my time to buy a new battery and try it again?

edoras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Icarust View Post
I have a 3rd generation iPod, it works when on AC power, but the battery does not hold *any* charge. As soon as I unhook it from AC power it turns off. When it is plugged in the display indicates that it's charging, but it will never actually charge. This happened with the standard battery that came with it (it worked for a long time before this happened), I purchased a new battery and it still happens. Did I just get a lemon battery or is my iPod broken. Would it be worth my time to buy a new battery and try it again?
Why don't you send to Apple for service? Most probably its hardware if your new battery still can't charge...

EmericanPatriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 02:56 AM

Battery failures are common when circuitry goes out, most likely your battery is fine. If you absolutely love the iPod, send it in for repair, otherwise just buy a new one, it's not worth the trouble of getting it fixed.

davedecay
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2008, 12:08 PM

How much did you pay for your battery, and what brand?
I've gotten bad ones off ebay, but they were super cheap.

Good ones (Newer Technology) from OWC cost more, but you know what you're getting.

Certainly worth $30 to find out instead of $160+ for a new iPod.

Icarust  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 12:26 PM

I got it from ipod911.com for $14. My ipod works totally fine as long as it's on A/C power, so I doubt it's the circuitry. Maybe I'll try buying a battery from OWC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules