Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP sluggish finder??

MBP sluggish finder??
dmlpbg4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2008, 04:48 PM

I have a santa rosa MBP 2.4ghz, 256 vram, 4 gig RAM, 5400 160gig HD, OS 10.5.x. All software updates installed. Love the computer, but I have noticed that opening up folders in the finder (even folders with only a few files within) takes "relatively" long (comparing to my old powerbook G4 1.67, 5400 rpm HD with 10.5). I'm referring to the finder "view" where you can move through folder levels by moving to the right (if that makes any sense). Anyone else noticed this? Is this a function of the HD speed or of the OS? I don't think it is the HD speed, b/c my old powerbook used a 5400 rpm drive and it "feels" faster opening folders. Is the OS rendering the "preview" function so that I can open the documents with quickview?

Thoughts welcome. Maybe I'm nuts...

Cold Warrior
Apr 29, 2008, 01:22 AM

If it hasn't been opened in a while, it takes a second to cache the contents. Subsequent opens in column view are instant. Try it by viewing folders, then go back to them. The OS should very quickly display the contents.

dmlpbg4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2008, 11:45 AM

does the os empty the cache on each restart?

Cold Warrior
Apr 29, 2008, 11:49 AM

It shouldn't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules