Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Powerbook G4 (official waiting list)

12" Powerbook G4 (official waiting list)
mikerally
Senior User
Jan 7, 2003, 09:08 PM

Well guys,

this is just what I was waiting for, and I've ordered one (about 3 hours after the Keynote finished).

Because:
A) I am in the UK
B) Ordered through the Apple Store for Education as I am a student
C) Ordered a build to order configuration (added on Airport extreme)

I don't expect to be getting mine any time soon, I know how far new machines get put back and how long people have waited, particulary on the original Powerbook G4.

Anyway, buying a first in the line model, I am curious as to what defects (dead pixels, I hope not) may arise - someone has always had something to complain about (but then again it's only those who have the problems that complain).

Anyway, I've put my old iBook up for sale, I just hope everything goes smoothly.

suhail
Senior User
Jan 7, 2003, 09:17 PM

Good-luck?
Can't wait to hear about it

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2003, 09:18 PM

I'm soooooo tempted to order one to replace my aging Pismo. The only problem is that I need it right away for everyday work and probably cannot wait the 30 days it lists on the Apple store...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2003, 09:44 PM

I think I will be replacing my Pismo with the 12" version. Looks as close to the subnote I had been wanting as I am likely to get.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 03:24 AM

I ordered as soon as the keynote was over! (probably just a few minutes it's been available as the site was SLOW!). I'm replacing a VAIO R505 with a 12" powerbook. I decided to skip the SD as I have that in our DP Video editor. But instead, upgraded the HD and added an airport card PLUS Applecare. I remember people saying that Applecare is great. And I figure if I want to sell the computer in the future, Applecare would raise it's value.

So, here's to a few weeks of waiting!

Mike

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 03:34 AM

I'm on the list as well. Ordered immediately after keynote (as soon as Store came back online).

I also bypassed the SD. Ordered Airport card.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2003, 04:38 AM

Applecare is well worth getting for laptops - I managed to take out Applecare 2 days before the end of my first year with my iBook, when the reed switch in the screen broke. They had it fixed and back to me inside a week.

scott brown
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2003, 12:28 PM

i also ordered right after the keynote

12 inch
640 ram
60 gig hard drive
superdrive
airport extreme

bye bye ibook, but damn, bye bye os 9, i need 9.2.2 for audio...

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2003, 06:32 PM

I ordered one right away, and got a shipping time of 1-3 days.

I then got this email from Apple today:

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for your order for the new 12" notebook! As mentioned in the
MacWorld keynote earlier today, and as our press release stated, the new and
exciting 12" PowerBook is scheduled to ship later this month. Unfortunately,
the first few orders we received picked up the incorrect availability
information and we wanted to quickly update you on the actual lead time of 2-4
weeks. We apologize for any confusion this messaging might have caused.
Please rest assured that we are looking forward to getting the new 12"
PowerBook in your hands as soon as possible. Also, you were one of the first
to order, and this update will not affect your place in line for shipping the
new PowerBook.

If you should have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact us.
If this corrected lead time is not satisfactory, please contact us so we can
suggest a product that may be available sooner, or we will honor your request
to cancel your order at any time prior to shipment.

Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!

My wife just called me too - someone from Apple called the house about giving me a discount. Should be calling me here at work soon.... I guess it's because of the misleading shipping time. Yay!

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 06:36 PM

Tell us about the discount and what it was for?! I got an email about a discount too but I think it was just for software from the Apple store. Let us know!

Oh yeah, I too got the same message too on the shipping mistake. Right now, my PB says being assembled.

Originally posted by murbot:
I ordered one right away, and got a shipping time of 1-3 days.

I then got this email from Apple today:

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for your order for the new 12" notebook! As mentioned in the
MacWorld keynote earlier today, and as our press release stated, the new and
exciting 12" PowerBook is scheduled to ship later this month. Unfortunately,
the first few orders we received picked up the incorrect availability
information and we wanted to quickly update you on the actual lead time of 2-4
weeks. We apologize for any confusion this messaging might have caused.
Please rest assured that we are looking forward to getting the new 12"
PowerBook in your hands as soon as possible. Also, you were one of the first
to order, and this update will not affect your place in line for shipping the
new PowerBook.

If you should have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact us.
If this corrected lead time is not satisfactory, please contact us so we can
suggest a product that may be available sooner, or we will honor your request
to cancel your order at any time prior to shipment.

Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!

My wife just called me too - someone from Apple called the house about giving me a discount. Should be calling me here at work soon.... I guess it's because of the misleading shipping time. Yay!

hibbacross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2003, 06:57 PM

Just ordered mine a couple minuts ago. I was set to order right after the keynote, but I never got a chance to. I got the 12inch one with a 60gb drive, but decided not to get the superdrive since I knew I would not use it that much. I am really excited, but wish I did not have to wait 2-4 weeks.;-) I geuss it is time to start waiting with you guys.
Garrett

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2003, 07:29 PM

I called my Apple store, and they said theyd be receiving stock anytime this week, begining of next at latest. Ill be picking one up from the shelves the day they receive them

Getoverit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2003, 07:58 PM

I want to get one sooo bad but then i read this:

"Jim I was at Macworld today and I have to tell you that the Powerbook 17" is even better in person than you could imagine. But, however the 12" model gets sooooooo hot people including myself were complaining that it was impossible to hold. The G4 processor runs very hot. There was one 12" model that had broken down but these are probably pre-release models and hopefully the heat issue will be resolved. The 17" in just flawless. I ordered one."

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 11:43 PM

I too will be concerned about heat but we'll see. Any other reports from people at macworld regarding heat. I already get "burned" by my Vaio R505 and it's only at like 800 mhz! There's thread on apple's support site that I'm following on the issue but so far, no real conclusions. Well, except that they say that Aluminum is a better heat conductor than Ti. Therefore, the case is like a giant heatsink... that transfers the heat right to your skin! Bwahahaha. Anyway, we'll see. If anything, maybe there will be less fan noise!

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 12:23 AM

I would have a hard time believing that it gets that hot. Are ya sure the heat wasn't coming from the tables that they are sitting on at the show. They have a lot of lights on them and I have read from another post that they couldn't tell how hot they get because of the tables.

I hope they don't get too hot. The iBook was pretty good in that regard.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 12:24 AM

Called and revised my order to add the superdrive. Did not get me booted to the back of the line either. Thanks Apple.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2003, 01:17 AM

just ordered mine today... says it's "being assembled" already, so i guess it's on it's way
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 01:21 AM

careful Albert. Apple told me that they anticipated shipping Jan 24 - Feb 6. Expect closer to Feb 6. And that's just the beginning of the journey.

Time will fly...but probably very slowly...

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 02:43 AM

I'd be pretty sad if the apple stores got the Powerbooks (12") before me... I mean, I was one of the first to order! Well, if they do indeed get it in a few days. But if they get it within a couple of days of when I'd get mine, no prob. But I shouldn't complain as the apple stores won't put in a 60gig drive in there for me BTO.

Mike

Here's to hoping for sooner rather than later...

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 10:04 AM

When the 20GB iPod came out, I ordered one online at the Apple store on the first day. I eventually cancalled that order because the local Apple Store got them a week before my online order was set to ship. That didn't stop me from odering the new 12" online. I can always do the same thing all over again...

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 02:00 PM

This is the machine that's finally convinced me to upgrade from my Pismo 500. It's been a good run, over 2 years. I was convinced I would be waiting for a G4 iBook. This is so much better.

The dilemma I am having now is whether I should order now or wait for a little bit while Apple shakes out the bugs. Every time I buy Rev. A hardware, I get burned. The lust factor is high, though. Gonna be a tough call.

-atomium

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
careful Albert. Apple told me that they anticipated shipping Jan 24 - Feb 6. Expect closer to Feb 6. And that's just the beginning of the journey.

Time will fly...but probably very slowly...
yeah, but my other stuff from apple sat on "Reviewing order" for weeks on end, so this makes me happy
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2003, 06:41 AM

Well, I've ordered mine. Initially ordered it and forgot that I get an edu discount, so I cancelled that and used my $100 edu discount to max out the memory. Can't wait! Hopefully won't be as long of a wait as my TiBook 500 was two years ago... that was painful.

As far as the heat question goes... When the original TiBook came out, people who used it at Macworld also said it got very hot. And while it ran much warmer than current TiBooks, I never really had a problem with it... Certainly ran much cooler than my old Toshiba portable.

mikerally  (op)
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 07:17 PM

Just bringing this thread to the top, would help to make this a sticky <hint hint mod>.

Keep posting the progress of your orders in this thread, what the Apple Store has said etc etc.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by mikerally:
Just bringing this thread to the top, would help to make this a sticky <hint hint mod>.

Keep posting the progress of your orders in this thread, what the Apple Store has said etc etc.
I called to check up on it and the apple store rep stuck with 2-4 weeks... here's to hoping that we'll get them at about the same time the retail stores get them!

mikerally  (op)
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 08:06 PM

Yeah, that's what the Apple rep told me on the phone, 2-4 weeks.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2003, 09:58 PM

I ordered my 12" PowerBook today at my local Apple Store. I decided to lessen the impact of obsolescence and get it fully loaded (640 MB RAM, 60 GB hard drive, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme). Currently, it's showing as "Being Assembled".

I also got the promotional T-shirt and the coupon for the "special 10%-off day" at the Apple Store. I plan to use the discount for DVD-R discs and maybe a few other accessories that aren't too overpriced.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2003, 10:11 PM

This WILL be my college computer next year.... I hope they get reved at MWNY or something... a G4 even faster than 867 would be pure gravey for me on my G3 333... I can't wait to use OS X and scream at the people who call Macs slow and then beat them over the head with my aluminum laptop... hey I wonder if this thing could take a genuine beating?

InstantGl�ck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2003, 06:11 PM

i ordered it here in Switzerland right after the keynote

>12 inch
> 640 ram
>40 gig hard drive
>Combodrive
>airport extreme
>airport Base Station (extreme?)

2~4 Weeks.
InstantHappiness

spapa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2003, 09:16 PM

What does Apple normally do? It says still 2~4weeks... Are 2weeks closer to real shipping date or 4weeks?

According to my experience when I got my first iBook 500CD on 2001 May, it was little bit faster than expected. Do you think it can happen again?

I need 12" PowerBook G4 so bad...

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 04:17 AM

I hope so!! I wanted to get an apple laptop before grad school and held off since I was in the market in December. (not that I followed rumors but that it was so close to MWSF anyway). Now I really need it and am just waiting for my order to come in... Hope we'll start seeing some surprises this coming week especially since some people have reported that their local Apple Retail stores may be getting stock in this week too.

Mike

Originally posted by spapa:
What does Apple normally do? It says still 2~4weeks... Are 2weeks closer to real shipping date or 4weeks?

According to my experience when I got my first iBook 500CD on 2001 May, it was little bit faster than expected. Do you think it can happen again?

I need 12" PowerBook G4 so bad...

rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2003, 11:44 AM

Just ordered the 12" powerbook last night... upped the ram to what I could afford with my student loan (384 MB), and did the 60 GB drive. I'll top it off with the max amount of RAM later, and sell the older upgrade on eBay.

this is exactly what I've been waiting for...

hope it doesn't take longer than a month to come in.

Jason

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2003, 01:51 AM

Got mine loaded, max ram, max HD, SD, Airport. Too bad it probably will not play the new games for more than a few months...oh well... at least it should handle WarCraft III. My iBook 500 just curls up and dies at even the suggestion.

-R

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 02:52 AM

Do you think some of the 12" models will start shipping this week?

mikerally  (op)
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 05:36 AM

I reckon Apple will start officially shipping them by the end of the month, and most people will receive them for February.

rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 09:48 AM

how long does it take for my order to get to the second level? it's still "being reviewed...

this is bad, I sound worse than some kid before christmas.

Jason

spapa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2003, 10:08 AM

rustyclockwork:

When did you place an order?

rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 11:31 AM

well, it was roughly three days ago, but yesterday I had to cancel the ram amount (since the the whole shipment including tax went over my Apple student loan)... they said the order's priority would still be the same though.

I can't believe I'm finally getting one... my first and only other mac was the dual 800 i got last year... it's so sweet. When I installed 10.2, it was liking getting a whole new system... all kinds of speed increases.

i'm the only computer science student at my school to have a mac, and the instructors all look up to them, since they are all Linux heads.... the older profs always had respect for the macs though.

Jason
( Last edited by rustyclockwork; Jan 14, 2003 at 12:07 PM. )

bwb
Jan 14, 2003, 06:09 PM

I just ordered mine! got it for 1588 with an airport card and taxes (educational discount)
Quality Web Hosting! Enter the coupon "macnn" when you sign up and get 20% off forever!
http://www.bweebhosting.com

rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 07:03 PM

it's saying being assembled now!!! that's a lot better than what it was before...

under 1600? are there different education discounts? mine was 1850 with just the hard drive upgrade... college student discount.

Jason

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2003, 07:43 PM

Since I'm getting one through the school where I work, I got a loaded one (no SuperDrive though), AirPort Extreme card, AND base - for like $1948 (exact dollar amount not in front of me...) hehehe!

rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 08:52 PM

damn...

I got a buddy who works in a public school... but I doubt if he would do the loan thing for me (in his name)... I don't think I would do that for anyone either.

If I had that much cash, it would be a different story though :-)

I thought the discounts were all the same?

Jason

bwb
Jan 14, 2003, 09:50 PM

ya there are different deducts depending on how much biz your school does with apple i am pretty sure
Quality Web Hosting! Enter the coupon "macnn" when you sign up and get 20% off forever!
http://www.bweebhosting.com

superfula
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 10:16 PM

Count me in as 90% getting one. But I probably won't order it for a couple weeks yet. Specs are as follows. I'll only list what's different from the default 12" combo drive setup.

640MB RAM (add 120)
60gig drive (add 40)
Airport extreme card (add 79)

Total is $1678.00.

This price is from the student developer discount here . Add 99 (for the student dev membership) dollars to the total price + tax/shipping and a wireless base station from somewhere else.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by rustyclockwork:
how long does it take for my order to get to the second level? it's still "being reviewed...

this is bad, I sound worse than some kid before christmas.

Jason
I hear ya. Mine's only been on order for 3 days and I find myself regularly hitting the PowerBook forums and my order status on Apple's web site. I also keep having a Tom Petty lyric going through my head: "The waiting is the hardest part...".

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 11:40 PM

One thing I've noticed is people who say they are going to wait to buy the new pb until and few revisions out so they can avoid the "defects"

Thats funny. Their is nothing new in these new ibooks, its all technology that Apple has been making for the lst year. (with the exception of the Airport extreme). You've got the body design and screen from the ibook, and the motheboard is probably a variation of the tibook. Nothing new here, buy away.

Ganesha
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 11:56 PM

Gave in to temptation and ordered mine. I have a SD on my 1 Ghz Dual QS so I went with the combo.

640 MB/Combo

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2003, 12:17 AM

I called 1800 My Apple up here in Canada... turns out all you get for being a bible college student is a 75 dollar discount! That's like 50 bucks american.. well not even quiet!
BOOOOOOO!
Oh well... 75 bucks if I add 10 to it I can afford to max ou the HD
Although that'll sooner go to the RAM since even my iMac right now has 256 and I can notice when OS X runs out of memory.

Either way I'm DEFFINATELY looking forward to the day I can purchance one of these puppies. But until then I'll live vacariously through you guys as you get your's

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by BkueKanoodle:
One thing I've noticed is people who say they are going to wait to buy the new pb until and few revisions out so they can avoid the "defects"

Thats funny. Their is nothing new in these new ibooks, its all technology that Apple has been making for the lst year. (with the exception of the Airport extreme). You've got the body design and screen from the ibook, and the motheboard is probably a variation of the tibook. Nothing new here, buy away.
Not really true. If you will compare the ibook to the new 12" powerbook you will see that there are many differences in case design, and of course there are differences in processor, memory type, drive type, etc etc. However, I do agree that it is a bit of a different situation from when the first Tibooks came out, for example. While the internals of the Tibooks were almost identical to the Pismos that preceded them, the brand-new case design did cause some problems. This is more of a variation on a theme that Apple has done before, so I don't expect as many problems.

rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2003, 01:49 AM

I'm assuming that there was a small percentage of problems with case design? Anyone here know the whole history since they released the metal cases?

Besides being in my final year of my computer science classes, I've started my own vintage toy shop... and boy oh boy can I tell you how concerned I am about final product quality... I've got a particular model, about 800 dollars that I will be offering soon, and even thought all the work I've put into the prototype, I still have to build and identical model... and break it piece by piece. This is so I can see if my soldering and welding points are strong enough.

I'm confident that the new aluminum cases will be outstanding, I know aluminum is an excellent heat sink material... I wonder if there are rubber stand offs between the aluminum and the magnesium frame (don't the new 12's use an internal mag frame?).

my classmates are going to freak when they see me doing some Java and Perl on this little guy.

Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules