Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 12" sleeping battery life

PB 12" sleeping battery life
atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 05:29 PM

Any other new 12" owners out there notice a big battery drain while sleeping?

Put mine to sleep last night, unplugged and with a full charge. 12 and a half hours later, woke it up to find my battery at 80%.

Are the Ti machines this bad at eating battery while sleeping?

-atomium

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by atomium:
Any other new 12" owners out there notice a big battery drain while sleeping?

Put mine to sleep last night, unplugged and with a full charge. 12 and a half hours later, woke it up to find my battery at 80%.

Are the Ti machines this bad at eating battery while sleeping?

-atomium
did you calibrate your batteries yet? if so how many times. i dont have the 12" PB but with my 800 DVI. my battery life improved after i calibrated it a few times.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

gaianchild
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2003, 06:12 PM

Sorry, I�m quite new to Apple Computers (still waiting for my 12"PB to arrive) so this might be a stupid question, but how do you "calibrate" your batteries?

thanks for your help...

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by gaianchild:
Sorry, I�m quite new to Apple Computers (still waiting for my 12"PB to arrive) so this might be a stupid question, but how do you "calibrate" your batteries?

thanks for your help...
use the laptop in battery mode & let the battery fully drain. the laptop will go into a deep sleep. then plug in the adaptor to fully charge. repeat the process a few times...

atomium  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 06:18 PM

Sure did. I ran through 2 full cycles of charging fully then running it down to a coma. Once by choice, once by necessity.

How many times did you cycle yours?

And I have to say that I'm thrilled with the battery life while running, just concerned about it while sleeping. Any idea how much charge yours holds if asleep?

-atomium

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2003, 06:28 PM

Sure did. I ran through 2 full cycles of charging fully then running it down to a coma. Once by choice, once by necessity.

How many times did you cycle yours?

And I have to say that I'm thrilled with the battery life while running, just concerned about it while sleeping. Any idea how much charge yours holds if asleep?

-atomium
i cant rem the exact mins but i will test it out tonite. will post in the morning.

i actually calibrated my battery like 5-6 times. =) more like did it 3-4 times & the rest was from the habit i picked up.

calibrating the battery does help it a lot. im avging 3-4 hrs depending on my power saving settings.

torifile
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 07:19 PM

The manual says that you only need to calibrate the battery once. The calibrating over and over is unneccessary.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
The manual says that you only need to calibrate the battery once. The calibrating over and over is unneccessary.
the manual does say that but from my personal experience it helped me more by doing it a few times. does it hurt the battery life if you do it more than a few times? or is it considered calibrating after you do it the first time? cause i sometimes let it go into the deep sleep mode before i plug in the adapter.

gaianchild
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2003, 07:57 PM

Thanks for your help!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 08:02 PM

I haven't noticed any issue with sleeping, but on a totally unrelated note I have noticed that the LED on the charger doesn't turn green until a long time after OS X says the battery is fully charged.

PaisanoMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 03:39 AM

Even though you sleep your computer, it still uses a little bit of power. After 12 hours of sleeping, 80% battery doesn't sound too bad to me -- do you have any other points of reference (say, a previous laptop that did better)? I think my Libretto (a very small x86 mini-laptop) loses about 10% of its charge after it's been asleep for 8 hours.

atomium  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by PaisanoMan:
...do you have any other points of reference (say, a previous laptop that did better)?
My Pismo is my only point of reference. I could sleep that thing for a day or two and still have better than 80% when I woke it up. A 12 hour sleep would leave me in the low to mid 90% range.

That Pismo battery was replaced by Applecare not too long ago. I suspect that it was one of the newer 4800mAH batteries. XBattery 0.6.1 shows it capacity in the 4600-4700 mAH range. The original battery wasn't as good, and I believe it was one of the 3500 mAH ones.

XBattery is showing capacity at 4379 mAH for this 12" PB battery. I haven't been able to find the spec on these batteries anywhere to know if it's ok. If the spec is 4400mAH, I'll be quite pleased. If it's 4800, I'm going to have to start wondering.

-atomium

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2003, 12:00 PM

Hmmm... for an outsider, 80% after 12 hours doesn't sound bad. I can understand that you're worried coming from 95% upwards though. Maybe it's not really a battery issue but Jaguar reporting the battery level wrong. Or maybe what you thought was a full charge really wasn't ,even though Jaguar said it was. What I'd do is try to charge it up completely until the charging light goes green (as mentioned before) and then put it to sleep o/n. If it's still nearly full after that, then we'll know if it's a software problem...

sineqube
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 01:21 PM

i've found that os x drains the battery while sleeping much more than os 9 did. the situation you describe sounds very familiar. with os 9, i could leave my g4 400mhz tipb asleep for a day or 2 on end, and only have 5-10 % shaved off the total charge. with os x, losing 20 % in half a day is the reality.

not trying to start an os 9 vs x debate or anything - i love both operating systems. but that's the one thing that has bugged me tremendously since leaving 9 behind.

i don't think it has anything to do with calibrating your battery, or it being the first gen. foilbook, as the same thing has happened to me on a fully-calibrated 2 year old titanium, on both of my batteries.

perhaps an update to os x will reduce the drain while sleeping. here's hoping.

atomium  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by sineqube:
i've found that os x drains the battery while sleeping much more than os 9 did. the situation you describe sounds very familiar. with os 9, i could leave my g4 400mhz tipb asleep for a day or 2 on end, and only have 5-10 % shaved off the total charge. with os x, losing 20 % in half a day is the reality.
Those numbers for me were/are in OSX. My Pismo hasn't seen a shred of OS 9 or Classic for almost a year and a half now.

-atomium

Forum Links
Forum Rules