Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution renamed to "Go"

Nintendo Revolution renamed to "Go" (Page 3)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I have all 3.

All I think this proves is you have really bad purchasing sense.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2006, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
All I think this proves is you have really bad purchasing sense.
But they're from Nintendo. They couldn't POSSIBLY be bad.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 01:52 AM

Heh.... no one said Nintendo cant do any wrong. but they do take chances, as does Apple.

You geeks said the same about the NDS vs PSP, and how the PSP is a much better gaming console, and yet you have more games and better games and new ideas on the NDS and the PSP is still stuck in oblivion.

You dont seem to mind the graphical inferiority of the PS1 or PS2 when compared to the N64 or GCN or even the XBox, but when Nintendo doesnt spec-out their offerings, all of a sudden u predict they'll go bankrupt.

What i cant stad about you 2 is that you constantly equate "gaming" with horsepower, and yet even with all the muscle in the XB360, the most popular game ive heard of on the system is 'geometry wars'. seriously you guys need to grow up or something..... just judging from the last 2 generations, its obvious horsepower doesnt equate to commercial success which in the end doesnt necessarily equate to better games either way.

You like the PS3 and XB360, fine....there's nothing wrong with what Nintendo'd doing with the NRS, as a matter of fact, everything you 2 bitch n moan about the GCN, they fixed i nthe NRS, and your still bitchin n moaning. biased ? lol...of course not (sarcasm).

And oh yeah....DH, ur quite an idiot to buy those products lol. i reast my case. lol

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 05:09 AM

The PowerGlove was Mattel, actually.

J

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Heh.... no one said Nintendo cant do any wrong. but they do take chances, as does Apple.

You geeks said the same about the NDS vs PSP, and how the PSP is a much better gaming console, and yet you have more games and better games and new ideas on the NDS and the PSP is still stuck in oblivion.

You dont seem to mind the graphical inferiority of the PS1 or PS2 when compared to the N64 or GCN or even the XBox, but when Nintendo doesnt spec-out their offerings, all of a sudden u predict they'll go bankrupt.

What i cant stad about you 2 is that you constantly equate "gaming" with horsepower, and yet even with all the muscle in the XB360, the most popular game ive heard of on the system is 'geometry wars'. seriously you guys need to grow up or something..... just judging from the last 2 generations, its obvious horsepower doesnt equate to commercial success which in the end doesnt necessarily equate to better games either way.

You like the PS3 and XB360, fine....there's nothing wrong with what Nintendo'd doing with the NRS, as a matter of fact, everything you 2 bitch n moan about the GCN, they fixed i nthe NRS, and your still bitchin n moaning. biased ? lol...of course not (sarcasm).

And oh yeah....DH, ur quite an idiot to buy those products lol. i reast my case. lol
WTF is this "graphical inferiority" you speak of? Remember that Square jumped ship from the N64 to the PS1 for FF VII because the N64 sucked.

Link to "Geometry Wars" being the most popular on the 360?

Stop talking out of your ass

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 10:31 AM

PS1<N64
PS2<GCN/XBox
NDS<PSP

We dont need to go over this all over again. just look it up already. sheesh

speaking out of my ass ? ur the idiot who started this thread lol...."nintendo go" lol...and ur asking me to stop speaking out of my ass ?

take some of ur our advice genius

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 10:45 AM

What i cant stad about you 2 is that you constantly equate "gaming" with horsepower, and yet even with all the muscle in the XB360, the most popular game ive heard of on the system is 'geometry wars'.
You need to get your facts straight. Geomerty wars is the most popular DOWNLOADED game and it costs under $10. Heck it is even free with PGR3.

Get a grip.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 10:48 AM

Actually it is called being 10 years old and trusting anything that comes out of Nintendo, kinda like why stupid kids buy the DS now.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2006, 11:06 AM

PS1<N64
PS2<GCN/XBox
NDS<PSP
Where are you coming up with these?

PS1<N64?

Uh, no. The PS1 DOMINATED that generation. The N64 tanked. It was a terrible machine with only a handful of decent games. Where do you come up with PS1<N64?

Same with PS2. It DOMINATED.

Oh, but let's see...the PSP has better graphics and capabilities than the DS but because the DS sold more it's better? Why don't you use the same logic on the PS1 and PS2?.

Answer: FANBOY

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 11:08 AM

Let's face it, we love cartridges so much Nintendo should go back to them.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by starman
The PS1 DOMINATED that generation. The N64 tanked. It was a terrible machine with only a handful of decent games. Where do you come up with PS1<N64?
Even sadder the Playstation was developed for the SNES (remember that port on the bottom) and I remember because one of the first games was going to be a star Trek game.

Thing was Nintendo said people didn't want to wait for CD-ROMS to load so they ditched it. Sony was smart enough to release it on their own and the rest is history.

Other things Nintendo said people didn't want...

N64 - "People don't want CD-ROMs". Apparently they didn't want expensive small ROMS either. Neither did developers.

GameCube - "People don't want to watch DVD's on their game system". Nintendo admitted a year ago that it was a mistake.

Revolution - People don't want HD. I'll be back to make fun of that one in a few years

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 11:51 AM

Load times took getting used to... but better audio, graphics, and game sizes kinda smoothed that all over.

To this day I pop a game in and walk away from the console (or change channels and watch TV). Load times are like commercials on TV, in the sense that they break continuity and usually send me changing channels.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 12:05 PM

Actually it is called being 10 years old and trusting anything that comes out of Nintendo, kinda like why stupid kids buy the DS now.

This isn't even close to being true. The tides are turning. I listen to about 3 different gaming related podcasts (1up.com, IGN and GameSpot) and whenever the game journalists talk about the DS and PSP, they always side with the DS. People like the DS. Grown-ups like the DS. The DS is popular, selling well and has a lot of quality games. These are facts.

I'm 31 and wouldn't trade my DS for a PSP. I'm very aware of the games and capabilities of each system, and I choose the DS. Many people feel as I do. No one is being tricked. This thing isn't the Powerglove.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
This isn't even close to being true. The tides are turning. I listen to about 3 different gaming related podcasts (1up.com, IGN and GameSpot) and whenever the game journalists talk about the DS and PSP, they always side with the DS. People like the DS. Grown-ups like the DS. The DS is popular, selling well and has a lot of quality games. These are facts.
Funny thing is I can give you "Facts" that show the total opposite.

When did 1up and IGN get the power to produce "Facts" anyway?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Let's face it, we love cartridges so much Nintendo should go back to them.
I actually did love carts.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 12:55 PM

Funny thing is I can give you "Facts" that show the total opposite.

When did 1up and IGN get the power to produce "Facts" anyway?

People like the DS. FACT

Grown-ups like the DS. FACT

The DS is popular. FACT

Selling well. FACT

Has a lot of quality games FACT

How are these even debatable? You may prefer the PSP, and that is fine, but all of the above are facts.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
People like the DS. FACT

Grown-ups like the DS. FACT

The DS is popular. FACT

Selling well. FACT

Has a lot of quality games FACT

How are these even debatable? You may prefer the PSP, and that is fine, but all of the above are facts.

Good. Replace the above with PSP and you get where I am coming from.

Heck replace "DS" with "Windows XP" and you have the same case.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 01:01 PM

You are 100% correct. Both the PSP and the DS are popular and enjoyed by many people.

You seem to think that the DS is just worthless and anyone that likes it must be retarded. It's simply not true. Nintendo isn't tricking people into buying the DS. People actually like the thing, and it's justified, because it has a lot of fun games. Why can you not seem to accept that?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 01:03 PM

ort888

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 01:15 PM

Okey dokey...

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 01:28 PM

I actually did love carts.
There's no helpin' ya

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 01:42 PM

There's no helpin' ya
Ya he loved paying $90 for a cart with 64 megs of game space on it. Who wouldn't.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 02:39 PM

Where are you coming up with these?

PS1<N64?

Uh, no. The PS1 DOMINATED that generation. The N64 tanked. It was a terrible machine with only a handful of decent games. Where do you come up with PS1<N64?

Same with PS2. It DOMINATED.

Oh, but let's see...the PSP has better graphics and capabilities than the DS but because the DS sold more it's better? Why don't you use the same logic on the PS1 and PS2?.

Answer: FANBOY
Well… just reading the topic I am almost sure 'Hawkeye_a' was talking about tech features… CPU power, more detailed graphics and so… I could be wrong but that is what makes sense following the 'hot' topic…

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 02:43 PM

Load times took getting used to... but better audio, graphics, and game sizes kinda smoothed that all over.
I'm hoping for fast flash media based cartridges - optical media and load times are indeed both crap.

J

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire
I'm hoping for fast flash media based cartridges - optical media and load times are indeed both crap.

J
What system are you basing that on?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Well… just reading the topic I am almost sure 'Hawkeye_a' was talking about tech features… CPU power, more detailed graphics and so… I could be wrong but that is what makes sense following the 'hot' topic…
What I'm saying is that both goMac and Hawkeye_a are always talking about how the DS is dominating the market vs. the PSP (which we know now isn't true in the US btw). So I want to know why they DON'T use the same logic when compring the PS1 and the N64.

Answer: They're FANBOYS. They use different criteria in the same argument to suit Nintendo. The criteria they use for one generations' systems is different than another's. How in the world is that fair? The example I showed above proves that. They'll use raw numbers to support their DS argument, but ignore numbers with the N64. WHY?

That's what annoys the piss out of me with these two. I don't hate Nintendo, but they're not the Second Coming either.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 07:50 PM

Starman, learn to read. i wasnt talking marketshare, i was talking horsepower. jeeze are u like 9 or something ?

As far as market dominance, i wasnt arguing that the PS1 and PS2 didnt dominate, i know hey did. but u seem to flog nintendo on not having a technically superior system coming out, well...when Sony did it, u didnt have a problem.

And ummm.... the PSP is leading the DS in the US ? link ? also, i hate to bring it up but.... The bell tolls for UMD . awwwwww

And i dont have a problem with the Sony or M$ consoles, im just sick of u retards continuously bashing Nintendo, have a look at the title of this thread and teh numerous ones that SWG has started just to bash Nintendo, then have a look at the threads ive started...for example...shadow of the collosus and conker on the other platforms.

Also Dark Helmet... u proved me wrong ? last i checked the NDS was a lot more succesfl than u predicted, sold more hardware and software, and has the fastest online adoption rate. whereas the PSP...well.... refer to the article above. lol

Good luck. ill be back to the gaming threads when the NRS has it's healthy lead over the PS3 and/or Xbox. cya jokers

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 02:39 PM

"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2006, 09:31 PM

Ya he loved paying $90 for a cart with 64 megs of game space on it. Who wouldn't.
No, I liked playing games you see. Not playing loading screens. I also liked not having to use a memory card.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2006, 09:32 PM

What I'm saying is that both goMac and Hawkeye_a are always talking about how the DS is dominating the market vs. the PSP (which we know now isn't true in the US btw). So I want to know why they DON'T use the same logic when compring the PS1 and the N64.
So by your logic the iPod sucks?

We're saying the DS is the video game iPod. What it lacks in functionality it gains in creativeness.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 2, 2006, 10:21 PM

I dont know where people got this "N64 games used to cost $90". I ran an EB during the N64 lifecycle and we never had titles priced over 50-60$

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 10:22 PM

I also liked not having to use a memory card.
It's called a hard drive.

The worst loading time on the 360 is 15-20 seconds, it happens prob the first time you start up that game.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
I dont know where people got this "N64 games used to cost $90". I ran an EB during the N64 lifecycle and we never had titles priced over 50-60$
Personally I remember Conkers and Mortal Combat (I think) costing about $80US.

"The cost of producing an N64 cartridge was far higher than producing a CD: one gaming magazine at the time cited average costs of twenty-five dollars per cartridge, versus 10 cents per CD. Publishers had to pass these higher expenses to the consumer so N64 games tended to sell for slightly higher prices than PlayStation games did. While most PlayStation games rarely exceeded $50, N64 titles could reach $80."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintend...dges_vs._discs

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
It's called a hard drive.

The worst loading time on the 360 is 15-20 seconds, it happens prob the first time you start up that game.
I wasn't aware the PS1 had a hard drive. As I recall, it was one of the big reasons I chose the N64 over the Playstation when I moved up from my Genesis.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 2, 2006, 11:15 PM

Personally I remember Conkers and Mortal Combat (I think) costing about $80US.

"The cost of producing an N64 cartridge was far higher than producing a CD: one gaming magazine at the time cited average costs of twenty-five dollars per cartridge, versus 10 cents per CD. Publishers had to pass these higher expenses to the consumer so N64 games tended to sell for slightly higher prices than PlayStation games did. While most PlayStation games rarely exceeded $50, N64 titles could reach $80."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintend...dges_vs._discs
yes. I had a fight with the idiot on irc who keeps changing that to $80. He's a complete idiot. I'm telling you, I ran a store in a national chain and they were never 80 and 90 dollars.

Conker was produced by Nintendo and programmed by Rare, Nintendo never fielded games at more than $50. Some of you were getting the hell gouged out of you by mom and pop stores.

edit: I found this, it was actually published by Rare themselves, not Nintendo, even tho they were a 'second party' to Nintendo at the time.
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Developer: Rare
Publisher: Rare
Scheduled release date: March 5
MSRP: $59.99

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/092/092075p1.html

Point Proven.

Hey look I fixed it. its now $60. The joy of using wikipedia as a source.
( Last edited by meelk; Apr 2, 2006 at 11:28 PM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
yes. I had a fight with the idiot on irc who keeps changing that to $80. He's a complete idiot. I'm telling you, I ran a store in a national chain and they were never 80 and 90 dollars.

Conker was produced by Nintendo and programmed by Rare, Nintendo never fielded games at more than $50. Some of you were getting the hell gouged out of you by mom and pop stores.

edit: I found this, it was actually published by Rare themselves, not Nintendo, even tho they were a 'second party' to Nintendo at the time.
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Developer: Rare
Publisher: Rare
Scheduled release date: March 5
MSRP: $59.99

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/092/092075p1.html

Point Proven

Hey look I fixed it. its now $60. The joy of using wikipedia as a source.

Conkers was a guess. I was 100% correct though. I only buy from large stores not mom and pop, i got most at toys r us.

"It’s highly apparent in this day and age that Compact Discs were certainly the way to go. Nintendo touted the fact that carts featured no loading an built-in battery memory whereas Playstation owners had to purchase an additional memory card on top of growing old while the game loaded. But.. For those features to even matter, Nintendo’s games would have to be affordable in the first place, which they weren’t. Where Sony and SEGA could put out titles for 49.99 and 59.99, Nintendo 64 games were anywhere from 59.99 to 89.99. That’s almost double in some instances! "

http://www.gametour.com/site/editorial.php/edit/22

meelk
Baninated
Apr 2, 2006, 11:34 PM

Conkers was a guess. I was 100% correct though. I only buy from large stores not mom and pop, i got most at toys r us.

"It’s highly apparent in this day and age that Compact Discs were certainly the way to go. Nintendo touted the fact that carts featured no loading an built-in battery memory whereas Playstation owners had to purchase an additional memory card on top of growing old while the game loaded. But.. For those features to even matter, Nintendo’s games would have to be affordable in the first place, which they weren’t. Where Sony and SEGA could put out titles for 49.99 and 59.99, Nintendo 64 games were anywhere from 59.99 to 89.99. That’s almost double in some instances! "

http://www.gametour.com/site/editorial.php/edit/22

So find me MSRPs of stuff over $59.99.
Do it, I would love to see them.
I ran An Electronics Boutique over the lifetime of the system, games werent retailing at up to 80 and 90 dollars, its an outright lie.
Find me the MSRPs, please?

Now I'll wait while you look around and realize you were being gouged by whoever you were shopping with, as the mass market prices reflect exactly what I'm telling you, not what you want to believe.
( Last edited by meelk; Apr 2, 2006 at 11:43 PM. )

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 12:01 AM

meelk you are sooo retarded, you can find a hundred stories about the carts being sometimes twice the cost of PS1 games. Why the hell do you think they lost so many developers with the N64? Nintendo even lowered the licensing costs a year after the N64 came out as there were so many complaints on the price.

Again, I bought from Toys R Us which was the cheapest compared to everyone else so don't give me any crap about getting ripped off at a mom and pop store.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 3, 2006, 12:10 AM

meelk you are sooo retarded, you can find a hundred stories about the carts being sometimes twice the cost of PS1 games. Why the hell do you think they lost so many developers with the N64? Nintendo even lowered the licensing costs a year after the N64 came out as there were so many complaints on the price.

Again, I bought from Toys R Us which was the cheapest compared to everyone else so don't give me any crap about getting ripped off at a mom and pop store.
dude I managed a store in a national chain that carried N64 along with everything else. The fact that MSRP prices confirm exactly what I'm telling you is a FACT. You cant find MSRPs as high as the prices you are indicating, which is a FACT. Get over it. You were getting gouged, end of story.

If any of you idiots happen to be responding from Canada, of course you were paying more, get a clue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules