Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 3 destroyed DVDs

3 destroyed DVDs
firewired
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2006, 03:00 AM

My 2 year old loves Shrek and I have gone through 3 copies of it, with her taking advantage of any opportunity to drag the DVD around the house with her. 3 copies of the DVD have ended up scratched to the point of uselessness.

Can anyone suggest an all-in-one program I can use to make a copy of the DVD?

I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

threestain
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 05:03 AM

I would recommend MacTheRipper to get it off the disc and then DVD2OneX to put it back on another DVD... THey work very well and are nice and quick.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 09:21 AM

It is illegal to copy DVDs, even once for backup purposes.

firewired  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2006, 09:42 AM

Isn't it allowable to make copies of DVDs that ou own under the "fair use clause":

United States District Court United States District Court

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 10:18 AM

It is ok to make copies for personal use, but it is illegal to circumvent the copy-protection scheme.

Of course, this applies in the US only. In most countries it is perfectly legal to circumvent the copy-protection scheme.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Of course, this applies in the US only.
Also Germany, and as far as I understood Germany got it because that's a European directive. So the law should be similar in EU countries.

For more details on how to handle this new aspect of copyright law read the following Wikipedia-article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_disobedience

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Also Germany, and as far as I understood Germany got it because that's a European directive. So the law should be similar in EU countries.

For more details on how to handle this new aspect of copyright law read the following Wikipedia-article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_disobedience
Yes, this has been implemented in most of the EU, but I don't know how well it is enforced. If at all.

So far this has not been implemented in Spain.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 12:41 PM

I'll make the obvious comment on not letting her play with the disc in the first place.
Michael

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by firewired View Post
Isn't it allowable to make copies of DVDs that ou own under the "fair use clause.
The fair use doctrine has been neutered for DVDs. With that said, unless you're distibuting the content to others in a significant way, you're not likely to face adverse consequences.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 5, 2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The fair use doctrine has been neutered for DVDs. With that said, unless you're distibuting the content to others in a significant way, you're not likely to face adverse consequences.
The doctrine hasn't been affected, but Hollywood says it doesn't apply-mainly because they want to make more money from people like firewired who run into problems with the physical media their legally purchased movies are on. The doctrine itself hasn't been fully tested in court.

But the only way anyone will find out about making a backup copy of a movie is if the person tells the world about it...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2006, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
It is ok to make copies for personal use, but it is illegal to circumvent the copy-protection scheme.

V
The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 6, 2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by threestain View Post
I would recommend MacTheRipper to get it off the disc and then DVD2OneX to put it back on another DVD... THey work very well and are nice and quick.
That is what I what I was going to suggest. Excellent programs IMHO!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2006, 08:10 PM

I always found Handbrake to work better than MactheRipper, just my experience.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 6, 2006, 09:27 PM

Mactheripper works kinda well for most DVD's.
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2006, 04:01 AM

for practical purposes no one will get in trouble for copying discs unless they try to distribute them.

i visit my post office at least three times a week. i always light a cigarette inside before leaving. just love smoking in a federal building.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by siflippant View Post

Our statements don't disagree.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
Thanks Jesus.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Nov 10, 2006, 01:46 AM

If your granted to make a backup copy of your DVD's why do programs like Toast not allow you to copy a DVD. I understand that unlocking that option would prolly cause piriting, but I'm allowed to back my stuff up, and in order to do so, you need to use 3rd party "rippers" that aren't really ?legal anyway? to do so.
- Eric

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by IFLY2HIGH View Post
If your granted to make a backup copy of your DVD's why do programs like Toast not allow you to copy a DVD. I understand that unlocking that option would prolly cause piriting, but I'm allowed to back my stuff up, and in order to do so, you need to use 3rd party "rippers" that aren't really ?legal anyway? to do so.
What is illegal is breaking the encryption of the DVD. The DMCA is fun like that. It would not be pirating, strictly speaking, if your owned the DVD, but it would be illegal.

That is an irritating provision of that law.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Nov 10, 2006, 06:15 AM

As Tuoder said, it's not illegal to make a backup copy, it's illegal to circumvent the copy protection.

If you really need a 100% legal copy of a DVD and you do not need 100% DVD quality, you can use an analog EyeTV. Simply connect your stand-alone DVD player to the EyeTV, press play on the DVD player and record the movie with the EyeTV. Then burn this copy to a DVD. 100% legal.

DVDs include an analog copy protection, too (Macrovision), but this copy protection doesn't work with EyeTVs. And if the copy protection does not work, it's not illegal to make copies. It's the same thing with all these audio CD protection schemes that only work on PCs. If you Mac isn't affected and can copy these CDs, it's not illegal to make a copy. (Strictly speaking, it would be illegal for a PC user to buy a Mac just to be able to make copies of the CDs, because he/she would buy the Mac as a means to circumvent the copy protection. But if you already own a Mac, this doesn't apply, of course.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules