Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Installed Airport Extreme Update: Wireless Doesn't Work

Installed Airport Extreme Update: Wireless Doesn't Work
quiklee
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 02:51 AM

I installed the update today and now my airport won't even turn on . . .anyone else have this problem?

btw . . .the forum looks MUCH better
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Feb 2, 2007, 03:21 AM

just figured it out . . . . did a network diagnostics and it works . . . the only problem is that my airport icon in my task bar still shows the airport signal as off . . .

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2007, 05:54 AM

Unfortunately there have been many people reporting similar problems after the last airport update.

http://forums.macnn.com/92/networkin...irport-signal/

I've managed to get round it by putting my machine to sleep, only because it's less time consuming than a restart (still a pain though).

We'll all have to live with it until Apple releases a fix [hopefully].
The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

thenextstopwillbe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 02:11 PM

i'm having this problem as well on my macbook. started about a week ago. boot up, connects to network for maybe 10 minutes then drops the connection although my airport icon indicates everything is fine. it's very intermittent though because sometimes it'll stay up all day. other times it'll be fine, i'll put it to sleep then when i wake it up it won't find my network. i'm using a linksys wrt54gl and it has been working fine until recently.

i'm gonna try some of the solutions mentioned on the linked thread when i get home tonight.

Z4cane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 10:08 PM

I have not had any problems with the update. In fact, when I woke my Macbook out of a longish sleep, it would not automatically connect to the network. Now it does, every time.

thenextstopwillbe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 10:33 AM

i downloaded istumbler last night and my wireless signal is in the 60-72% range with noise of occasionally 10% which should be pretty good i would think. however, the macbook still dropped off the network after about 10 minutes and nothing changed in the signal according to istumbler. i shut it down for a while and later when i turned it back on, it stayed up until i was finished using it. nothing like intermittent problems to drive you crazy.

a side note, i already had my macbook set up to only login to preferred networks so obviously that isn't helping.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 09:30 PM

ok . . nevermind guys . . that diagnostic thing was just a lucky way to get online . . . . my airport symbol doesn't even turn black now . . . . i just got my new airport extreme, so I'm gonna load the cd that came with it and see if that works . . . wish me luck!

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2007, 10:31 PM

Moving to the Networking forum... Nothing even vaguely hardware specific here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules