Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pricing with changing CAD

Pricing with changing CAD
marsbt
Sep 20, 2007, 11:38 AM

Hi all,

I was wondering how the changing value of US$ and CAD affect Apple product prices. Apple Store has the Macbook starting at USD$1099 and CAD1249. Earlier when the Canadian dollar was about 0.90-0.85 these prices seemed virtually at par. The major difference one would see would be the taxes only. But now with the CAD rising to around 0.98 of the US$, shouldn't the Canadian customer be getting some respite from the higher prices they are paying for Apple products?

After all, when a customer orders a Mac online, does not matter if he is in US or Canada, it is bought/assembled by Apple from the same manufacturers at a constant price. Isn't it time that Canadian customers should be given better prices with their stronger currency?
Firefox: Add Of The Week

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 11:41 AM

There won't be a price update until the next model.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 20, 2007, 01:38 PM

I was hoping this thread was going to be about drafting/engineering programs on the Mac.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 03:38 PM

Apple Canada will just loose sales to US retailers.

I guess Apple is Apple, I guess.... money ends up in the same place at the end of the day,, just depends on who the middle man is... allegedly.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 04:00 PM

The loon is now more valuable than the greenback.

But Canadian prices will still be higher due to GST/VAT/whatever you call it.

James L
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 04:08 PM

GST is not included in Canadian pricing, it is extra at check out. The $1249 MacBook mentioned above would be $1249 plus tax when purchased in Canada.

So yes, Canadians will be getting ripped off $150 dollars if they buy the MacBook in Canada versus in the US.... at today's exchange rate anyway.

marsbt  (op)
Sep 20, 2007, 10:31 PM

Taking into the account that CAD reached parity today with the USD, I'm tempted to buy an iPod from the US. I have my eye on a refurbished A condition 30GB iPod Black ($189) or the iPod Classic $250. Would love the 80GB but am not sure if it will work on my Linux box with rhythmbox (yet).
Firefox: Add Of The Week

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 10:07 PM

.mac is coming up for renewal for a lot of subscribers and Apple still wants $139 CAD when it's $99 USD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules