Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Any 40d owners?

Any 40d owners?
REVBCO
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2008, 07:18 PM

I am thinking about buying a Canon 40D. Just looking for some personal reviews, likes or dislikes.

B.
2.33 White iMac | 2GB Ram | 500GB HD
2.2 BlackBook | 2GB Ram | 120GB HD
16GB Touch | 80GB Classic | 10GB Classic | 8GB Pink | 40GB Apple TV

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 10:00 PM

It's a pretty weak upgrade over the XSi; I'd wait for the 5D Mk2 if you need something better than a DRebel.

misc
Jul 18, 2008, 10:22 AM

I have it. Not a bad back. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It's a pretty weak upgrade over the XSi; I'd wait for the 5D Mk2 if you need something better than a DRebel.
The 40D isn't an upgrade to the Rebel. Those lines of cameras are so far apart, that some people say it seems they are made by different companies.

The 40D is currently at 935$ with instant rebate, down from the original 1300. The image quality is equal to the 5D (Mark I). The MarkII will be a great camera at three times the price of a 40D. Better spend the money on lenses.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 02:50 AM

To the OP:

The 40D is an upgrade to the 30D and the fifth generation of a very successful camera model. A truly mature design..

I just recently bought one, and it has the best viewfinder of all the cameras with an APS sized sensor. Better than the Nikon D300.

(The rebel, for example, uses a cheaper, narrower, darker pentamirror viewfinder design, the 40D a pentaprism).

I am amazed by this camera. But you need to get a good lens for it to play out its quality.

It also handles very well. I am using it with the 17-55/2.8 EF-S IS USM lens, and it's just so well balanced.

But you need to go to a store and handle it yourself. There are many good cameras out there, you need to find the one, that you like.

REVBCO  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback

I have been leaning toward the 40D from Amazon with the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. OR would it be better to just buy the body and find a different lens.

I like the size of the 40D camera body better because when I use a rebel my knuckles hit the lens barrel.

I have been reading different review of lenses at FredMiranda.com and have come to this list of lenses that I would like to buy when I but the camera.

Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon EF 28-105 F/3.5-4.5 II USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

The first two for sure and the zoom lens when I save up the money.

Does anyone recommend any different lenses or NOT recommended any of the lenses I listed. I like night photography and using natural light as much as possible.

Thank again

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 05:32 PM

28-135 times the 1,6 crop factor of the 40D...

... you would have a lens like 44-216 on a 35mm SLR. A barely useable range. And the lens is pedestrian.

I'd recommend buying fewer good lenses than more... well, I didn't say AWFUL... but I felt it strongly.

Don't forget that you have to multiply the focus numbers by a sensor's "crop numbers" to get an idea what the range of a lens would be compared to full frame/35mm.

The 40D is a great camera and deserves a great lens.

I recommend the 17-55/2.8.

the 1,4/50mm is definitely a good lens.

For lens reviews go to www.photozone.de.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
The 40D isn't an upgrade to the Rebel. Those lines of cameras are so far apart, that some people say it seems they are made by different companies
The Rebel and the n0D lines are so close you can pick up some features in the former through hacked firmwares from the latter. You don't need to be a whole different company to change the body material.

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
The 40D is currently at 935$ with instant rebate, down from the original 1300. The image quality is equal to the 5D (Mark I).
I guess all that extra sensor area is just gone to waste...

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 07:15 PM

The rebels have the same sensor, but different bodies, different viewfinders (very important downgrade), AF system, metering, buffer features, hard buttons for functions.

A camera's not just a sensor with buttons, it has to handle well. And the viewfinder is were you actually work.

The 5D is a three year old camera, and the 5DMkII, over whose rumors people go crazy like over MacPro upgrades, is supposed to be a very interesting camera.

The immediate future of camera development will be in the area of dynamic range. We have the resolution, we've got low noise (it may get lower, though), but we haven't got enough dynamic range yet.

And for this, a larger sensor is very good.

Digital cameras are relatively young, possible less than 20 years of development, and this is why you can make a step, that allows an APS sensor camera to come to an older full frame camera's level. (but the 5D is still a little bit better in highlights). But the 5D is outpowererd by the 40D in metering and autofocus. There the age of the camera shows (even though it's still a great camera).

REVBCO  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2008, 11:51 AM

Well I did it.
What I bought

40D
28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS lens w/ filter
50mm 1.8 lens w/ filter
75-300mm 4-5.6 II lens w/ filter
Remote
4GB Extreme III card

Now I need to sell my HDV video camera.

B

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post

I guess all that extra sensor area is just gone to waste...
The 5D is a 3 year-old camera. I'm sure the 5DMkII will set new standards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules