Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Upcoming Wii Games

Upcoming Wii Games
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 02:55 PM

It's kinda weird owning a Nintendo console(today as opposed to the past 5-10 years), cause for the first time since i got back into console gaming with the Cube in 2003, i find myself unable to pick and choose the 'great'/'good' titles, simply because there are so many. With the cube, it was usually 2-3 games a year. Now it seems like that's doubled with the Wii.

The list of Wii titles on my radar include (links to videos and trailers):
-Sam & Max (Season 1)

-The Conduit ( http://www.gametrailers.com/game/8720.html )
The Conduit, is the game that's been missing from the Wii library in my opinion, it adds the guns n grit usually found only on the PS360, and it's a welcome addition, and .... it's not looking too shabby, in fact i'll go so far as to say it appears to have more tech in it than the first party developed Nintendo games.

-Deadly Creatures ( http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14235413/vids_1.html )
Deadly Creatures, looks very different n very cool... and they just announced that Billy Bob and Dennis Hopper will be the voice talents.

-Call of Duty : World at War
Call of Duty : World at War, i saw some ingame footage of that game, either on IGN or GameTrailers...... talk about an upgrade from CoD3 !!! Apparently it's running on the CoD4 engine (which makes you wonder why that other developer was lazy and didnt bring CoD4 onto the Wii) That new James Bond game will be coming to the Wii as well and it too will be using the CoD4 engine.

-Madworld ( http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6774.html )

-Monster Hunter 3 ( http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41053.html )
Between the Conduit and Monster Hunter 3.... all i gotta saw is WOW. i never thought id see that level of visual fidelity come out of the Wii.

-Fatal Frame 4 ( http://www.gametrailers.com/game/9199.html )

-Fragile ( http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39476.html )

-Sky Crawlers ( http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40216.html )

From that list above, Monster Hunter 3 and Fatal Frame 4 used to be staples on the Sony platforms, but are now exclusive on the Wii, Sony is really dropping the ball here imo. What with that FF game coming to the XB360 as well.

All-in-all there's a pretty great variety of great Wii games coming out, both in gameplay and visual fidelity. I also just noticed that there isnt a single Nintendo developed title in that list above. Most of the games above will be hitting store shelves before April 2009, and i seriously cannot afford to (money nor time) buy em all. And thats not even factoring in the VC and WiiWare titles im looking forward to. What are you guys looking forward to ?

For the PS360, i'm envious of SFIV, RE5 and PoP.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 10, 2008 at 06:00 PM. )

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2008, 03:47 PM

That Monster Hunter game looks absolutely stunning. It makes games like WoW look like they were drawn with crayons. Any idea when it's coming out?
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 05:04 PM

I think thus far the Monster Hunter games have been only released in Japan. But it's been getting a LOT of attention in the west lately. I dont remember seeing a release date anywhere, but i'd guess 2009 ?

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 11:29 PM

I'll be getting CoD for sure. Played the crap outta MoH: Heroes online, but that got stale long ago.

Not really excited about Conduit. No real reason, just doesn't seem to be my bag. Baby. Or it could be that I don't expect as "rich" of an online experience as I do with CoD.

Disaster: Day of Crisis is on the radar. Haven't seen much info on it yet, but so far it looks like a buy.

Right now I'm lovin' on Harvest Moon. I'm only in the first summer, but so far it's got quite a bit over the 64 game (which is arguably the best in the series).

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 02:45 PM

Do the CoD games support aiming with the wii remote or do you have to aim with the Nunchuk hat? I suck at FPS console games because I can't aim on screen nearly as well as I can with a mouse.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2008, 10:48 AM

Aiming is achieved by using the Wii remote as a pointer. The nunchuck is used for movement.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2008, 09:37 PM

I am waiting for Punch-Out!! in 2009....w00t!

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2008, 12:28 AM

I don't know.. I'm not really waiting on a whole lot for the Wii. Deadly Creatures and MadWorld kind of. I just want a lot of of the good games already released, like Metroid Prime 3, Mario Party 8, etc...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2008, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I am waiting for Punch-Out!! in 2009....w00t!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 09:31 AM

Guitar Hero : World Tour is coming out on the Wii.... for you guys who are into those kind of games.

And something magical happened to my Wii console(hardware), 6 months ago when Rock Band came out, my Wii(which is a year old), was not capable of online multiplayer or DLC. Now with the release of the new version of Guitar Hero, my Wii suddenly seems to be capable of online multiplayer and DLC.... now that's magical hardware eh ?

Cheers

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 09:35 AM

Glad to see Nintendo has made it to, what, 2002?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 12:41 PM

Actually Nintendo's been offering DLC and online stuff on the Wii for as long as Sony has been with the PS3, its just that some third parties and fanboys were too stupid too see it
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 27, 2008 at 01:17 PM. )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Actually Nintendo's been offering DLC and online stuff for as long as the PS3 has, its just that some third parties and fanboys were too stupid too see it
So I guess your Wii isn't suddenly capable of multiplayer and DLC, eh?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 01:18 PM

it's called sarcasm

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 01:19 PM

Sorry, I get lost when there's a deluge of passive-aggressive emoticons.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2008, 08:07 PM

Rock Band 2. I knew I was forgetting one.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2008, 02:04 PM

Oh i downloaded World of Goo about a week ago..... and Wow. Amazing music, beautiful visuals, addictive gameplay and creative writing. This game is really very cool and worth getting. it's 1500(USD$15) Wii points on WiiWare and also available on PC(demo available).

I can go so far as to see this is the best WiiWare title available to date.

Cheers

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2008, 05:24 PM

Yea I got the PC demo of World of Goo.

It's just as good as Hawkeye said.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2008, 09:14 PM

I think thus far the Monster Hunter games have been only released in Japan. But it's been getting a LOT of attention in the west lately. I dont remember seeing a release date anywhere, but i'd guess 2009 ?
I thought Final Fantasy was stretching it, but swords that are TWICE the size of the person carrying it. WTF??

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2008, 04:41 AM

Oh i downloaded World of Goo about a week ago..... and Wow. Amazing music, beautiful visuals, addictive gameplay and creative writing. This game is really very cool and worth getting. it's 1500(USD$15) Wii points on WiiWare and also available on PC(demo available).

I can go so far as to see this is the best WiiWare title available to date.

Cheers
It is not a WiiWare title here in Europe but retail with additional worlds… so it is 39,9€ for us. Can't wait to get it though, everybody speaks wonders about it.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2008, 06:56 AM

wii still has games?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 05:00 PM

Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars is another one that looks really polished. it's an action platformer that looks pretty trippy.... heck its got mushrooms that walk and stuff. It looks a little too 'complicated' and saturated(color) for me, but it looks like a really good effort. Link

Cheers

JayMan8081
Nov 7, 2008, 04:28 PM

The Conduit looks really good. I'm looking forward to giving that a spin once it's released.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2008, 01:29 AM

Buy Sam and Max. I've played through Seasons 1 and 2 on the PC, both excellent.

The PC version is probably slightly better due to the higher resolution, but the PC version of Season 1 won't do widescreen (season 2 does).

There is no Mac version, but I talked to Telltale at PAX, and they said they are a very heavily Mac company, they just haven't had time to port. They did work with VMWare to get it running perfectly under VMWare Fusion 2.0.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2008, 06:40 PM

Oh no. Monster Hunter for the Wii?

Must keep my kid from finding out -- he's WAAAYYY into MH2:Freedom on the PSP....

Cue Robby the Robot's flailing arms....

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2009, 12:55 PM

Deadly Creatures is coming out Feb. 9th. I'm looking forward to this game, hopefully there isnt anything 'wrong' with it and the critics like it. This game is looking pretty darn good...

Cheers

PS>>As posted in the PS3,XB360 and Wii thread, 'The World of Goo' Soundtrack is up for download (legally free)

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2009, 12:18 PM

-Dead Space has been announce for the Wii, apparently it was a contender for 'Game of the year 2008' on many online publications.

-NYCC is going on right now, and i found this.... Overlord: Dark Legend - Comic-Con footage (HD video link in lower right corner)

Cheers

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2009, 11:56 AM

Yea I was semi-excited when I heard about Dead Space for the Wii.

By those screenshots, Deadly Creatures looks amazing. I wonder what it really looks like. I believe its out today, so I may pick it up.

I'm still waiting for MadWorld, too.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2009, 11:58 AM

MadWorld looks cool, the controls got glowing review in a preview as well.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
MadWorld looks cool, the controls got glowing review in a preview as well.
That game is on my must buy list for this half of the year (I usually buy 1 game every 6 months). Does it seem to be bridging the core - casual game divide with the "core" look and the amazingly cool mini games like "man darts" ? Simple mindless violence with commentary that everyone can enjoy

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
By those screenshots, Deadly Creatures looks amazing. I wonder what it really looks like. I believe its out today, so I may pick it up.
I think those screens are from the in-game engine; they look terrible if they were pre-rendered. If you do get it, post impressions, cause i'm on the fence on this one. Here are some screenshots o help you decide.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Feb 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules