Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Atrocious glitchy gui artifacts in "grid" Stacks?

Atrocious glitchy gui artifacts in "grid" Stacks?
Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2008, 07:37 PM

Every time I open a stack in grid view, there appears random lines and rectangles near the borders of the opened stack. Very uncharacteristic of MacOS to have such terrible visual flaws ..in my experience. (This has been a huge pet peeve of mine for quite awhile. I use stacks very frequently, as application launchers.)

On top of that, maybe three out of ten times I launch an application from the stack - or just close the stack - these artifacts actually remain on the screen until something passes over them or the display sleeps. Occasionally I've noticed pieces of my default login window background (which I had been using a custom image for) within these rectangular strips and lines.

Immediately after a recent "Archive & Reinstall" of the OS, the artifacts were gone; my stacks looked beautiful in 10.5.0! But after the combo update to 10.5.5, they were there again. So I have no idea in what version 10.5.x this actually would have started...

It never happens with Fan or List view...

My PowerBook doesn't support Core Image. Maybe that has something to do with it?

More screenshots of the glitch: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4289721...7610679561287/

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 6, 2008, 07:40 PM

What PowerBook do you have?

Are you using any type of 3rd party themeing or colour changing programs such as Candy Bar?

Banghazi  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2008, 01:18 AM

Oh yea, here's the specs:

867MHz Powerbook G4 (12-inch) "P99 Thresher" Mac OS X (10.5.5) 1.12 GB RAM/120 GB HD

Aside from custom folder icons and active hot corners, no GUI customization going on whatsoever. As I said, I recently did an OS archive&reinstall. In 10.5.0, the glitch was not there. After the combo upgrade to 10.5.5 there they were again.

blue_touches_blue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2009, 11:09 AM

I have the same problem. I'm using an iMac 24", 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT w/ 128 MB RAM, MAC OS X 10.5.6

lenox
Senior User
Jan 28, 2009, 03:12 PM

I've seen this glitch before, usually on older macs with basic video cards. Sorry that I can't offer more specific help - I think this has to do with Apple not testing (or not caring about) newer features on older machines.
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2009, 03:49 PM

The thing in common between both people suffering from this issue in this thread is that they have Nvidia graphics cards in their Macs. I imagine that is the source of the issue - the crappy drivers Apple ships for them.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2009, 05:08 PM

That really stinks.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules