Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Batman : Arkham City Thread

Batman : Arkham City Thread
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2011, 03:15 AM

I've only just started the game, but there are aspects that frustrate me. I'm thinking that the 3rd person view is the main culprit, but I have a feeling that its just me.

1) Combat is button mashing.

2) There's a lot of info/chatter coming at you, especially when the local surveillence stuff is active.

3) I get killed EVERY time I answer a bloody phone.

4) The grappling hook is magic, but not available when you MOST need it. The buildings don't seem further away, yet you cannot find a target point.

5) Its beautiful, really beautiful. When on a tall building the views are very impressive.

6) Cat Woman's breasts are even more impressive than the views.

I shall try and continue, but after last night's usage its not looking good.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 08:39 AM

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of the combat in Asylum. They say there's a rhythm to it, but it's beyond my grasp. So it devolves into button mashing.

Personally, it was setting up all the takedowns that made the game for me.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Personally, it was setting up all the takedowns that made the game for me.
The silent takedowns after crouching to your enemy are useful and thankfully over very quickly. Its the Batman against 5 or 6 that I have trouble with.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
thankfully over very quickly
Thankfully over quickly? Man, if you don't at least enjoy the act of taking them down, you're not going to get very far in this game. Also: ****ed in the head.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2011, 10:21 AM

I think that its because of the previous experience of fighting several players never knowing when it would end. The first few fights are pretty cool, but then you find that mashing is actually more effective and one fight just seems like any other. Plus being silent and quick is what Batman is all about. Otherwise 17 other baddies come out with baseball bats and start ruining your day.

I did enjoy the strategic fight that you have in a church at the beginning, that takes a bit of thought instead of just wading in. Oh and luckily Batman said 'If I do that he'll kill the hostage'.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 09:59 AM

So how many more times did you play this before you said, "That's a wrap!"?

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So how many more times did you play this before you said, "That's a wrap!"?
I had taken it out of the Xbox 2 days ago and put it back in the case. I recieved a text about BF3 being ready for me yesterday and the decision was made to trade it in. I paid 69€ for it and got 47€ back today when I got BF3 so I don't feel too hard done by trading it.

3rd person just ain't my thang.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 15, 2011, 08:39 PM

I know there hasn't been a post in almost 2 months, but a few day off of work gave me some time to dive into this head on, and its amazing.

I liked Arkham Asylum but it wasn't a fantastic experience... but Arkham City is a GOTY contender for me.

The open world setting, side missions, collectables, fantastic campaign story, and upgrades make it the perfect mix between action and open world RPG (3rd person).

I really can't say enough about this game, if you didn't like the combat in Asylum its much improved here. Much larger variety including all the gadgets on your belt. The map is decent size, and with some really great side missions (if your a Batman fan) and basically every important character in the Batman universe in some capacity.

As far as the 400 collectibles, In AA i felt they were tedious and annoying while here they feel much more involved and interesting, I spent HOURS straight just completing challenges/collecting trophies.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2011, 11:34 AM

Odd, Arkham Asylum was game of the year for me. And I don't recall there being that many collectibles or it being too hard to get them. It was part of what they did so right with that game.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 16, 2011, 12:05 PM

That last paragraph is worded terribly, the 400 collectibles is AC and I ment that in AA they felt tedious while in AC they require much more thought and puzzle solving which to me makes them more worthwhile, the much fewer collectibles in AA were as simple as find the location and pick them up, AC made significant improvements to this system and has set the bar for me.

I also may of made it seem that I did not like AA, my opinion was I liked the game but it felt cramped and linear while I wanted much more freedom. I'm a huge batman fan and AA was a fantastic ode to batman but AC is everything I wanted it to be and more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules